Airport Theme Geocache in Viewing Area - Bad Idea?

ApoKerbal

Hey guys. I'm new to this place, but I've been finding geocaches for a while. I bought an ammo can that was on sale and would love to try hiding my own. I have read the guidelines, but I'm not sure if the scheme I have in mind is too "eh... kind of scary" to get approved or not.

Basically, what I plan to do is this: hide a geocache near the airport public viewing parking lot, which is just near the end of the runway. People come there frequently to watch the planes, and there are a few good hiding spots that aren't likely to get muggled. The cache would be a rather large ammo can with a phone handset inside. When 4 AA batteries are placed in the holder, the phone activates, and lets you listen to the Tower frequency. I can do this using a cheap RTL-SDR radio stick and a raspberry pi I have laying around.

The other part of the cache would be info and trinkets related to aviation and aviation history.

The radio part of this is completely legal, I have verified that already. What I'm mostly wondering is if this idea would look too suspicious, or if the coolness factor outweighs the risk.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm not one to freak out, but even I think this would be a bad idea. This is a time when a LnL would be better then an ammo can.

What size airport is this? It sounds like a very cool idea for a cache!

Calgary international - very large. Using a transparent LnL, do you suppose this would appear benign enough to not scare people?

Edited by ApoKerbal

If you don't think you should, you shouldn't. There aren't any caches close to Calgary Airport for a reason- the reviewer wouldn't even let a cache get published near a business across the street from a smaller airport in a nearby community. You also have next to no experience. I would suggest making a trip to Lethbridge on April 12th. Geowyrms is there (they are from Calgary, Nd own a geocaching store) to do a geocaching 101. Or Medicine Hat on March 22. There is a geocaching info session there as well. I'm sure there are events in Calgary, but I'm not looking at the map so I can't tell you. And get out and find lots of caches. The more you find, the more you see what makes a good or bad cache. There are tons of caches in Calgary, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat. In Medicine Hat you can easily find 500 caches in a day. So there is no excuse not to find caches.

And a word on ammo cans- word from CFB suffield is to cover any markings on ammo cans. They can trace them, and if the get traced back to CFB suffield they will get pulled. And yes people have noticed about that. And I wouldn't hide an ammo can their anyway. It would probably get stolen.

I have read the guidelines

Hmmmm....

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Geocaches are not placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations.

Additional regulations and laws that apply only to your country and region may further restrict cache placement. A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.

1. If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.

2. The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.

3. The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.

4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

B.

Using a transparent LnL, do you suppose this would appear benign enough to not scare people?

We found a cache that was a plastic spice bottle tied to a tree.

The bomb squad blew it up after being called about a suspicious container, that had wires coming out of it.

Nothing is beyond suspicion to the general public and law enforcement.

B.

Hey guys. I'm new to this place, but I've been finding geocaches for a while. I bought an ammo can that was on sale and would love to try hiding my own. I have read the guidelines, but I'm not sure if the scheme I have in mind is too "eh... kind of scary" to get approved or not.

Basically, what I plan to do is this: hide a geocache near the airport public viewing parking lot, which is just near the end of the runway. People come there frequently to watch the planes, and there are a few good hiding spots that aren't likely to get muggled. The cache would be a rather large ammo can with a phone handset inside. When 4 AA batteries are placed in the holder, the phone activates, and lets you listen to the Tower frequency. I can do this using a cheap RTL-SDR radio stick and a raspberry pi I have laying around.

The other part of the cache would be info and trinkets related to aviation and aviation history.

The radio part of this is completely legal, I have verified that already. What I'm mostly wondering is if this idea would look too suspicious, or if the coolness factor outweighs the risk.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

It sounds like a really fun idea, but there are some major problems.

First is that it wouldn't be published due to, as mentioned above:

4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Second is that you would have to have permission of the airport, which would probably not be easy to get.

Third is that if it was published, it would probably be muggled with in a short time, because "People come there frequently to watch the planes" even if you do think that " there are a few good hiding spots that aren't likely to get muggled."

I have read the guidelines

Hmmmm....

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Geocaches are not placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations.

Additional regulations and laws that apply only to your country and region may further restrict cache placement. A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.

1. If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.

2. The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.

3. The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.

B.

Seems I missed that.

In any case, thanks for the input everyone. This is a terrible idea which I will not pursue.

Edited by ApoKerbal

It also occurs to me that, perhaps, at this stage, anything that I try to hide or make will likely do more harm than good for the community. In hindsight... I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I asked this.

As someone else suggested, I suppose I need to find more geocaches before constructing them.

Edited by ApoKerbal

It also occurs to me that, perhaps, at this stage, anything that I try to hide or make will likely do more harm than good for the community. In hindsight... I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I asked this.

As someone else suggested, I suppose I need to find more geocaches before constructing them.

You know the saying "Hindsight is 20/20."

You needn't be embarrassed for asking the question; it's better to ask than to have just gone ahead and done it. Don't give up on creative ideas, just be more cautious about where you plan to place them.

Also, it's very nice to see that you took the criticism so well; many people would have lashed out and called the responders "mean, etc" for not approving the idea.

Better to ask and be told not to, than do it and have a visit with the CPS. I'll PM you some info as well.

I had a cache at a small airport. Still allowed, you just need permission.

You aren't thinking about Gravelly Point Park in Arlington, VA by chance?

Post #3:

Calgary international - very large. Using a transparent LnL, do you suppose this would appear benign enough to not scare people?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

There is a virtual cache (not a category anymore) at an airport close to me. If there is an informational sign at your viewing area you could make an unknown cache with the final location far enough away from the airport that it wouldn't be a threat but close enough that your radio idea would still work. Sounds like a cool idea if the final would still be in sight of the airport. If not completing the puzzle would give people another thing to do while waiting for a flight to land to pick someone up.

There is a virtual cache (not a category anymore) at an airport close to me. If there is an informational sign at your viewing area you could make an unknown cache with the final location far enough away from the airport that it wouldn't be a threat but close enough that your radio idea would still work. Sounds like a cool idea if the final would still be in sight of the airport. If not completing the puzzle would give people another thing to do while waiting for a flight to land to pick someone up.

Multi-cache.

Question to Answer stage. (Numbers/letters from a sign) to work out co-ordinates for the cache.

Although not endorsing or condeming the idea, there are some valid opinions provided in this thread ... however get the opinion of the one who matters, your reviewer.

There are many examples of caches near or at airports...(notwithstanding the precident principle)

Regional Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=54.412967&lng=-110.289083#?ll=54.473983,-110.280157&z=15

Regional Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=54.41664,-110.18527#?ll=53.311655,-110.085449&z=14

Regional Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=54.412967&lng=-110.289083#search?ll=51.09804,-114.372799&z=15

International Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=54.41664,-110.18527#search?ll=44.87612,-63.533275&z=14

International Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=54.41664,-110.18527#search?ll=46.106559,-64.685509&z=15

Military Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=54.412967&lng=-110.289083#?ll=54.402502,-110.280242&z=14

Cache at public viewing area of Military Airport

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3XJTH_rcaf-431-squadron-v2

True, but I am speaking from experience with the reviewer when I say there's a reason there aren't many caches near that specific airport, and it's not because of lack of room. It's a big empty space with the surrounding being fairly cache dense. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but there is a good chance it won't, involving circumstances that we can't change. And knowing the reviewer, I'm sure said reviewer would have a question or two about the location, cache container, or what have you.

I can think of about 300 caches hidden near airports:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/bulk.aspx?listid=568159

Many are hidden on airport property -- by permission. It's a question of taking the right approach with airport security, having the right type of container, etc.

If you get permission to hide this one, and it's relatively accessible from the airport terminal itself, let me know and I'll add it to my bookmark list.

Two airport caches I know of - one is a TB hotel, placed WITH permission on the road into the parking lot/entrance. It is visible from the staff parking lot, and a security guard going off duty wondered what we were doing. Told the truth, she thought it was a cool thing to do, and was going to investigate becoming a geocacher. That airport is both civilian and military. At our airport, YYJ, there is a small graveyard at the end of the main runway, outside the airport perimeter. We sit there to watch planes, and in the rear view mirror can see the occasional cachers. Get permission, mark the cache very clearly, and work with the airport. All you can do is ask, and if the answer is "no" at least you won't be wondering...good luck!

With permission, and with help from local plane spotters you could just build a bloody phone box, make it blindingly obvious what it is and useful to more than just cachers and it could serve as education for the public as well. I'm sure if it's appropriate and with proper permissions it would get through the reviewer.

This is a terrible idea which I will not pursue.

No! It was a cool idea that just had some issues you hadn't thought of! Don't let this stop you from having creative ideas!

I am right now on my way to an area that has a whole series of totally lame caches placed "just to scatter some more caches around the area."

We need more people like you coming into the game!