Oregon 450 and Mac

This might have been asked and answered before, but I normally use GSAK on my pc, but now I have a Macbook, I would appreciate some help in finding a similar program/app for my Mac that supports Garmin Oregon 450. I have looked at iCaching and Geocache Manager.

Edited by Boomtown Cats

I think iCaching is the top geocache manager for the mac. It's not quite what GSAK does... you can't log your finds (yet, but that's coming), but you can store, view, sort, filter, and transfer caches back and forth between your GPS and the computer. I believe it also uses the API to search the database and download caches directly as well as manage your account. Some people like these programs, and I might if they were free, but I find that direct download of Pocket Queries and use of field notes to aid in writing logs works just as well.

FYI - running a Mac here and an Oregon 450. Folks had trouble in the past with copying pocket query GPX files to the Oregon. Turns out it had something to do in a lot of cases with the Trash Can tying up memory on the GPS. Here's my workflow:

1. Connect Oregon 450 to Mac.

2. Open the "GPX" folder on Oregon.

3. Select any previous Pocket Query GPX files and move to Trash. (This avoids the "Copy and Replace" which also generated problems, IIRC.)

4. Empty Trash.

5. Copy new individual Pocket Query GPX files to "GPX" folder on Oregon.

6. Eject GPS and SD card.

7. Re-Start GPS and wait for caches/maps/etc. to load.

Haven't had any trouble since.

Also, Garmin has their BaseCamp, POI Loader, GPS Web Updater, Map Installer, and Map Manager software all available for the Mac. If it doesn't pop up on the App Store, check Garmin's own web site, too.

Edited by Pacific NW