Enhancement request: correct the default log date

the Seagnoid

When you log your find or discover a trackable, the default log date is the server date, which is (I think) Seattle server time. In New Zealand, where I live, the default date is correct in the latter part of the evening, but for most of the day the default date is yesterday - The US lives on the other side of the International Date line, almost a day behind us. I have to remember to add one to the date when I post my logs. Okay, I'm used to it, it is not a big deal. The site allows logs placed one day in the future, and saves the date (in a cookie?) so that any date I enter it is the default date for the next entry. So really it is only the first date per browser session that is annoying. And of course all this is relevant only when logging on the date I found the cache, but if we are going to be presented with a default date, it may as well be useful.

There are a couple of better ways of handling that first date, where no date is saved in a cookie..

1 Use Java to pick up the local system date. This would probably be the only thing that uses Java on the site, so maybe not such a good idea. The advantage of this is that if I am caching in a different country - different time zone, it would be correct. I vaguely recall that Java is problematic with phones? iphones?

2. Take the home user's home location Longitude position (east/west) divide it by 24 and approximate that as a timezone, and use this as an offset to the server time. There will still be date errors, but now they will only occur within an hour of midnight other than, as in my case, most of the day. This can all be processed at the server end, although it does require the user having their home location specified. Disadvantage here is that if I am caching in a different country, and logging the finds in that country, the date would still be based on the time in my home country.

I would be happy with either option. Any chance of getting this added to the queue?

thanks,

Tom