I must be doing something wrong

bovrilheid

Hi everyone, Well I took the plunge and upgraded to premium membership...the pocket queries was the thing that swung it for me.....I've watched the video and it all look so simple....I set up my pocket queery everything seemed to go OK....left everything very broad....but no results turned up...edited and checked a few times, but still nothing. What the heck am I doing wrong...must be something very simple. Any thoughts?

Hi... again. :)

If no results turned up, you more than likely forgot to check Day(s) to Generate.

If zero (0) results showed up, you have conflicting parameters -- but you say that you left everything broad, so probably not that.

If a query submitted returns 500 or less caches, it will be emailed to you.

If submitted for 501+, it will be available ONLY as a download on the PQ page as below (but the "0" would be "1"):

77971d97-8b1f-4bbe-8bf3-4a41dd7688c8.png

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

hi again.....I did select the day, email was sent...saying zero (0) results....seems very strange indeed. parameters are wide...searching for caches within 100miles of my home...limited it to 500 results.....I feel like I must have clicked some strange little tick box....deleted and tried again.....same results..... doing my poor head in just now!!!

thanks though for you help

Andy

left everything very broad...

As in 'No boxes checked'? (Or at least ONLY checking the Caches I have NOT found box)

TIP:

DONT select Day to Run.

Check out the caches returned on the Search page that results...

If it shows what you are expecting, then select Day to Run from Edit

If not select Edit and try again...

Start a blank query. Leave everything the way it is, except do select "My Home Location". This should give you up to 500 caches within 100 miles of home.

Don't select a day of the week until you've got the search results looking how you want them to look.

(Is your home location set up?)

Remember in general the more boxes you check the fewer caches will be returned. The boxes are ands not ors. So if you check found and not found you get none since no cache can fill both conditions. So if you want to include both caches you've found and those you haven't check neither condition.

left everything very broad...

As in 'No boxes checked'? (Or at least ONLY checking the Caches I have NOT found box)

TIP:

DONT select Day to Run.

Check out the caches returned on the Search page that results...

If it shows what you are expecting, then select Day to Run from Edit

If not select Edit and try again...

after only selecting my home location I get 327 caches.....excellent, still not sure why the heck it provided nothing at the start though...but I'm getting there with your help...thanks everyone

New PQ

Days to Generate: (Server Time: Tuesday, 20 May 2014 14:17:27)

Always check the server time... Important as we are not at the Lillypad!

Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs

Caches Total Select to suit yourself 500 or less is emailed 501 or more is downloaded

Any Type

Any Container

That (And) ** This is usually the stumbling block, people sect too many!

I haven't found ONLY select this for now

And

Difficulty is leave as is for now

Terrain is

Within

None Selected

From Origin Select to suit

None Selected

My Home Location

GC Code

Postal Code

By Coordinates

Within a Radius of XX mi

Attributes ** Leave blank for now

PRESS Submit Information.

Check out the results.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I prefer not to use the "X mile radius of Y location" method...what I normally do is just scroll around the map to the area I am interested in, zoom in or out until I neatly frame the desired area within the map view, then at the bottom of the left-hand panel select "Save As Pocket Query". I find it easier to visualize the area I want to query rather than figure out a center point or how wide a radius I need.

This method is especially useful if you are querying an area away from your home location, since in that case you won't want to center on your home coordinates and you won't necessarily know a particular cache or coordinates to center on.

Also, make sure not to select conflicting parameters, as has already been suggested.

If you don't select a day for it to run, then it won't run (won't be available for download) but you can preview the results as many times as you like, tweaking the parameters to your liking, without using up any of your 5 per day PQ limit. When you get the results that you want, THEN select a day for it to run.

Hi... again. :)

If no results turned up, you more than likely forgot to check Day(s) to Generate.

If zero (0) results showed up, you have conflicting parameters -- but you say that you left everything broad, so probably not that.

If a query submitted returns 500 or less caches, it will be emailed to you.

If submitted for 501+, it will be available ONLY as a download on the PQ page as below (but the "0" would be "1"):

Can you not change the 500 to 1000?

I prefer not to use the "X mile radius of Y location" method...what I normally do is just scroll around the map to the area I am interested in, zoom in or out until I neatly frame the desired area within the map view, then at the bottom of the left-hand panel select "Save As Pocket Query". I find it easier to visualize the area I want to query rather than figure out a center point or how wide a radius I need.

This method is especially useful if you are querying an area away from your home location, since in that case you won't want to center on your home coordinates and you won't necessarily know a particular cache or coordinates to center on.

We did not know this. Really useful on a trip when you notice an area that you haven't selected before leaving home.

Sure you can change that... but if you had caught an earlier post, it had only returned 327 caches. So, it would've been emailed even if it had been submitted for 1,000 caches. It's based on the return number, not the requested number.

Thinly cache-populated areas can do that -- especially when they border nothing other than the North Sea (or North Atlantic... my oceanic geography escapes me at this time).

Sometimes you simply change settings. Sometimes you simply go with what you get.

Sure you can change that... but if you had caught an earlier post, it had only returned 327 caches. So, it would've been emailed even if it had been submitted for 1,000 caches. It's based on the return number, not the requested number.

Thinly cache-populated areas can do that -- especially when they border nothing other than the North Sea (or North Atlantic... my oceanic geography escapes me at this time).

Sometimes you simply change settings. Sometimes you simply go with what you get.

I caught the earlier post. We always use 1000 and I wondered about using 500 and the mention of having more than 500 in the PQ.

I caught the earlier post. We always use 1000 and I wondered about using 500 and the mention of having more than 500 in the PQ.

The only difference is that a PQ that returns less than 500 caches will be emailed to you (in addition to being able to be accessed via the website via My Pocket Queries), and PQ's resulting in 500-1000 caches will only be available in My Pocket Queries (won't be emailed). 1,000 is the maximum number available in a PQ. However, since you are allowed 5 PQ's per day, you can essentially download up to 5,000 caches per day.