scannable log?

Bayner

Was this a multi? The first stage could be a QR code. Just download a QR code scanner on your phone.

If it was a traditional cache, then it doesn't sound like you found the geocache. It sounds more like a Munzee. A geocache must have a slip of paper or notepad for a logbook.

Some cachers also Munzee, and might place a QR code for others in the same situation. A Two for one thing!

Scanner apps are a pretty standard TOTT (tool of the trade) these days. There are many free ones that are available. I'd recommend downloading one.

If that's not an option, you can always take a picture of the scan sticker and download the image to one of several free online websites that can read it, when you get back home.

It could be that the logbook/sheet went missing. I'd post a Needs Maintenance log in that kind of situation.

Hi all. Im relatively new and really enjoying Geocaching. Could someone explain why there was a scan sticker inside a geocache instead of a log? Do I need to install a reader app? Many thanks. Bayner :-)

Are you talking about http://coord.info/GC2N9RP ?

There is supposed to be a log book in the final container of a multicache. If there isn't, then you should post a "Needs Maintenance" log, in addition to your "found it" log.

You can also change the date of your "found it" log to the date you actually found the cache.

It might be that there is also a munzee in the cache, but that would be a different game/website.

A cache published by Groundspeak requires a log book of some sort. A qr code can't be used as a log book.

B.

Scanner apps are a pretty standard TOTT (tool of the trade) these days. There are many free ones that are available. I'd recommend downloading one.

If that's not an option, you can always take a picture of the scan sticker and download the image to one of several free online websites that can read it, when you get back home.

It could be that the logbook/sheet went missing. I'd post a Needs Maintenance log in that kind of situation.

We don't have any sort of mobile phone, and we don't always have the camera when geocaching, so a scanned code to us would be completely useless.

I think that Groundspeak still requires a physical log book of some sort, and that scanner apps would be called "specialized equipment".

It's also possible that someone other than the cache owner popped a munzee into the cache. If that's the case, then the cache owner might want to know about it.

B.

A logbook is required inside a cache. A bar code (or any kind of code) is not a substitute for a logbook. I agree with Pup Patrol, a needs maintenance log is in order and if the CO tells you that the cache is not supposed to have a logbook, then a Needs Archived or a private note to the reviewer who published it would be the next step.

Hi all. Im relatively new and really enjoying Geocaching. Could someone explain why there was a scan sticker inside a geocache instead of a log? Do I need to install a reader app? Many thanks. Bayner :-)

Are you sure you found the FINAL of the multi? There are photos in the gallery that you can check to see if that is where you were and what you found. A container with a QR code could be an intermediate stage of a multi.