Zero-ing in on both coordinates help

jfpinell

I have MAJOR trouble getting to the right place most of the time and never get to look for these things therefore.

I start zeroing in on say N but then W starts getting farther away. I turn and start zeroing in on W but then N starts going further away. From how I'm doing this I can't seem to get anywhere near BOTH points 99% of the time. (Which is why I'm so hung up on the few I CAN get to as noted in another topic). If I track down N then it appears there's no road in the area to zero in on W without driving halfway away from N and vice versa. If I'm making sense. The only way that comes to mind is to zero in on 1 coordinate and then park and get out and walk (often who knows how far and through what or who's land [not good]) to get to the other coordinate. Is there a better way to do this especially alone?

Edited by jfpinell

The person placing the cache got there somehow. Look at the location on the map. Look for roads close by. Even use satellite view to spot unmarked trails and roads. Park as clos as you can, and walk the rest of the way.

As for getting there, don't try to match co-ords. Use the arrow pointer and distance, or the map. Map will show where you are VS the cache.

What device and/or app are you using? Most every Geocaching app or GPS allows you to navigate in one of two ways....showing your location and the target location (the Geocache) on a map, or using a pointer which points to the location of the target (the Geocache). So I'm not sure what you mean about going to the North coordinates and then going to the West coordinates.

Exactly what is your method of navigating to the location? I'm confused....

By "use the arrow pointer" do you mean that little distance & direction thing that says "SW 0.2 mi." (or whatever the case may be)? That helps starting out but once you run out of road going that way, or come to a curve....

(Sorry to sound so over simple but I'm still new at all this. (I haven't gotten out on these very often, so pay no attention to my "member since____") :)

The toy I have is Garmin etrex 10 ....a handheld one. About the only thing I've used (figured out how to?) on it so far is the satellite option that shows the N and W coordinate numbers. You mean there's more that helps?

Edited by jfpinell

What app are you using?

TDM has the best advice: "The person placing the cache got there somehow. Look at the location on the map. Look for roads close by. Even use satellite view to spot unmarked trails and roads. Park as close as you can, and walk the rest of the way."

Research the cache and where to park BEFORE getting in the car. :)

By "use the arrow pointer" do you mean that little distance & direction thing that says "SW 0.2 mi." (or whatever the case may be)? That helps starting out but once you run out of road going that way, or come to a curve....

(Sorry to sound so over simple but I'm still new at all this. (I haven't gotten out on these very often, so pay no attention to my "member since____") :)

The toy I have is Garmin etrex 10 ....a handheld one. About the only thing I've used (figured out how to?) on it so far is the satellite option that shows the N and W coordinate numbers. You mean there's more that helps?

Are you just walking around looking at the coordinates changing or have you actually punched in the coordinates and created a waypoint? Once you create a waypoint it really is as simple as following the arrow to the target.

Jeez Louise, folks...that little "rotating arrow thingy" is called a COMPASS!

A), I know it's called a compass, but I consider that a misnomer, since that "little arrow thingy" always points to the WAYPOINT being navigated to, not NORTH as a true compass would.....and

B), the OP seems quite confused about the operation of the GPS, so I was trying to simplify the terminology. 😉

When all else fails.... read the manual: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

Sounds as though you aren't "searching" for a cache... it sounds more as though you are simply walking about looking at the raw coordinates of your position.

As a regular member, you can download from computer to your device with "Send to GPS" on the cache page

-or-

you can handload the coordinates into the unit (as a waypoint).

From that point, read page 16 of the manual (above) to learn about navigating with the unit.

Probably the best way, is to have some hands-on help. There is an Event cache coming up on Sunday, 27 July at Lions Park in Appleton. http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC58KCH_hibiscusfest-4000-potluck-and-softball-game

You should go to it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I have no idea how to do some of that stuff you guys are talking about. All I've figured out (deciphered?) from the manual so far is how to click on the satellite icon and bring up the screen with all the constantly changing #'s as you're walking. I take it that's the overly hard way of doing this?

Is there anyone around my area I wonder that does this? I looked on the groups area but didn't see a " U.S. north central/north east" listed. The only one I know lives about 35 miles away and her schedule doesn't allow this very often.

Gitchee posted a link to the online manual for your device. What you want to do is Create a Waypoint. It should initially create a waypoint at the location you are standing at the time. You can then modify those coordinates to whatever the coordinates of the cache are.

That's the least "techy" and simplest method.....manually enter a waypoint and navigate to it. Once you get comfortable with basic navigation you can look into downloading cache info directly to the device. But that's for later, let's keep it simple for now. 😊

I have no idea how to do some of that stuff you guys are talking about. All I've figured out (deciphered?) from the manual so far is how to click on the satellite icon and bring up the screen with all the constantly changing #'s as you're walking. I take it that's the overly hard way of doing this?

I once used my Nuvi to find two caches in a park with a circular trail. Yes, I tried to get to the cache by watching the Lat & Lon click down. That way is definitely not for me, it took a long time and a lot of walking to get the coords to match up. I won't do that again :anicute:.

What you should do, once you are set up and navigating to a cache, is to select the compass. That will point in the direction of the cache, and show distance. As you've noticed, you'll probably first have to drive to a suitable parking spot, then walk from there.

a09vs9.jpg

Sorry the compass picture is so tiny. It's the only one I could immediately find online.

jfpinel,

Without actually being there to show you, here's the simplest steps I can give you for finding a geocache.

1. Using your computer, find a local geocache that you'd like to find.

a. Read the description.

b. Look at the type of cache.

c. Look at and understand the difficulty and terrain ratings. (As a beginner, I would suggest a difficulty rating of 2 stars or less.)

d. Look at where it is located on the map relative to streets. (You might want to zoom in on this map to see more street details and names.

e. Either write down the coordinates, or print out the whole description/maps.

2. Using your GPSr (Global Positioning System Receiver) a.k.a. "toy" do the following using the unit manual instructions given at the link provided for your GPSr by Gitchee-Gummee above:

a. Go to page 9 and follow instructions for "Creating a Waypoint".

b. Also on page 9, follow instructions for "Editing a Waypoint" to change the coordinates to those that you wrote down/printed from the geocaching description.

3. Drive to the closest parking place to the cache using the map that you printed or viewed.

4. Using your GPSr, following the unit manual instructions as follows:

a. Go to page 16 and follow instructions for "Navigating to a Destination" picking the name of the waypoint that you entered in step 2b.

b. Go to page 18 and follow instructions for "Navigating with the Bearing Pointer".

5. Walk to the cache following the direction of the arrow on the screen and also watching the distance listed. When the distance gets close to zero and/or the arrow flips in the opposite direction, you're at "ground zero".

6. At this point, start looking for the cache in an approximately 30 foot radius. Use the "hint" from the cache description if you need help.

Edited by medoug

jfpinell,

To contact a fellow cacher in the area to possibly get some one-on-one help do as follows:

1. On your computer, sign in at www.geocaching.com.

2. Select "Play".

3. Select "Hide & Seek a Cache" from the drop-down menu.

4. Enter in your city and state in the Address box.

5. This will list several caches in your area.

6. Look at the cache owner's name. If you see one name that is repeated often, they are likely a local geocacher since cache owners usually live within a reasonable distance from their geocaches so they can properly maintain them.

7. Open up one of the owner's geocache listings.

8. Click on the owner's name. This will bring you to their profile page. (Note that you must be Signed-In for this to work.)

9. Click on "Send Message".

10. Now explain to the cache owner that you're new to cache and would like to meet with them for some help on how to find caches. Perhaps suggest to meet at a public park that contains a cache so they can work with you to find it.

I've always found geocachers to be a friendly bunch who like to introduce and help people get involved in the activity.

If you're too shy to meet a cacher in a one-on-one situation, I'd suggest following Gitchee-Gummee's suggestion to attend the next local event (he provided a link) where there's sure to be someone willing to show you the ropes. Just ask.

Apparently my use of the word "toy" is caching on out here! (Bad joke -Wocka! Wocka! I couldn't resist.) It's just easier than typing Handheld Global Positioning System Receiver.

Medoug, so far I've managed to get to 1(e) on your list :)

Hmmmm.....if I can manage to find my way, maybe I'll go to that picnic.

Maybe I'll punch in the coordinates on my toy! (That'll probably get a comeback out of at least 1 person) :)

Serious reply. The OP's strategy can theoretically work in a wide open area like a large park (not as well in towns).

Use the cache listing map and sat. image to get as close as possible to start. Then head north or south til you zero out that coord. Don't worry if you distance east (for example) is increasing. That would just mean that you're heading NW, not due north. Get to the north coord.

Now turn 90º like you said, & walk til you zero that out, staying on the north coord.

Not the most efficient, but definitely do-able.

Edited by wmpastor

Use the cache listing map and sat. image to get as close as possible to start. Then head north or south til you zero out that coord. Don't worry if you distance east (for example) is increasing. That would just mean that you're heading NW, not due north. Get to the north coord.

Now turn 90º like you said, & walk til you zero that out, staying on the north coord.

Until you find out that there is a path/road right to the cache that avoided the big valley and river you had to cross, not to mention the cliff you scaled. :lol:

Until you find out that there is a path/road right to the cache that avoided the big valley and river you had to cross, not to mention the cliff you scaled. :lol:

Isn't that a requirement along with having a newb find a cache saying it was easy after you spent an hour looking for it?

ngrrfan....But that takes all the FUN out of it! :)

When I first started caching I was the proverbial "bull in a china shop". Wherever the arrow pointed, I went. This led to bushwhacking through scrub oak, not fun, leaving trails and heading out through cactus patches, also not fun, and climbing up boulders where a slip could mean a nasty possibly horrible injury, also not fun. :o

Now I cache smarter. I stay on trail even if it means that I've walked past the shortest distance to GZ. More than likely the trail will circle around and gain altitude easier than going straight up the hill.

So you can blindly follow the arrow and hunt your way, or you can cache smarter, its your choice.

BTW... if you are on the north rim of the Grand Canyon you are going to have one heck of a hike to get the cache on the south rim using your method. I'll drive around using the roads to get to the south rim. :)

When I first started caching I was the proverbial "bull in a china shop". Wherever the arrow pointed, I went. This led to bushwhacking through scrub oak, not fun, leaving trails and heading out through cactus patches, also not fun, and climbing up boulders where a slip could mean a nasty possibly horrible injury, also not fun. :o

Yep, I have 2 caches where beelining is not advised. It's in the notes - but some cachers don't read the notes! :rolleyes:

BTW... if you are on the north rim of the Grand Canyon you are going to have one heck of a hike to get the cache on the south rim using your method. I'll drive around using the roads to get to the south rim. :)

Ah, but then who has the better stories by far - you or the OP?! ;) You may as well drive to a Wallyworld lamppost! :laughing: