LOC file format problem

sloth96

Hello,

GSAK was complaining about a LOC file having mismatched tags. When I went in and checked manually, the tags did seem to be mismatched.

The list was created in the following manner:

go to http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=0045c8ed-3264-461c-982e-252931737834

The set results per page to 1000

click the check mark.

Then click Download to .LOC

This then resulted in the LOC file that had a mismatched tag. The error appeared in line 282 if iirc.

Thanks.

Sloth96

The error is caused by the fact that 'GC4W3TZ Mega-Event Cache 2015-08-01 - M3 - Maritime Mega Moncton' is unpublished (retracted?).

If the cache is not published, some internal check makes sure that you dont get the coordinates. This also cause the xml-file to be misformed. It 'forgets' to start the cache with '<waypoint><name id="GC4W3TZ">'

(to download the list you have either to click all the checkboxes, or the checkmark in the header to mark them all)

xmllint agrees with gsak that the xml is not quite right.

I couldn't even download the .LOC file. Clicking on the Download to .LOC button just reloads the page (in Chrome and IE). I was able to create a PQ from it which saved the list as a .LOC file and it didn't seem to have an problems.

FIrst, I realized that I wasn't getting a download because I hadn't selected any caches from the list.

I found where issue is though. When I looked at the XML, where the second to last cache on the list should be listed (2015-08-01 - M3 - Maritime Mega Moncton) , the xml is missing the opening waypoint tag. Showing the previous waypoint and the problem waypoint looks like this:

<waypoint>
<name id="GC50FTF"><![CDATA[Mainz Gutenberg 2015 by Gutenberg-Team]]>
</name>
<coord lat="50.001667" lon="8.275917"/>
<type>Geocache</type>
<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC50FTF</link>
<difficulty>1</difficulty>
<terrain>1</terrain>
<container>6</container>
</waypoint>

<![CDATA[Thanks for Playing by Nice Try]]></name>
<coord lat="0" lon="0"/>
<type>Geocache</type>
<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/</link>
</waypoint>

As you can see, the second waypoint is missing "<waypoint> <name id="GC4W3TZ>

If you try clicking on the link for that event you'll see that it's unpublished. There seems to be in issue in generating the LOC from a bookmark list when it contains an unpublished cache. I think you could just uncheck that cache to exclude it and it will generate the correct LOC.

When the bookmark was saved as a PQ it didn't include the malformed xml for the unpublished and also excluded the waypoint for the previous event in the list.

As was predicted by Lil Devil, this appeared to go away on August 1.

As ecanderson pointed out, this appears to be because the data changed.

Hopefully a software change also occured to prevent this from happening again with different data.

Thanks all.

Sloth96