Filter out a trackables visited logs

stebu

This has been suggested in bulk delete visited logs

But the idea of filtering is buried in there, somewhere.

So just a simple setting for each owned trackable: show/hide visited logs.

Much better is: Do not permit visit logs.
Because separate drop and grab logs would be such an improvement.

And because trackables aren't hard enough for beginners to understand, and it would improve the situation if some trackables behaved one way and others behaved some other way.

No, I think it would be better to allow viewers to ignore content-free visit logs if they so choose. I suppose some would like to ignore all visit logs, but I think most would prefer to see the visit logs that have been edited to include actual text content, or that have had photos uploaded.

+1

I am fine with the visit logs. They obviously solved an existing abuse of drop/retrieve logs to "dip" TBs. personally I don't visit a TB to every cache I find while it is in my possession, but if someone wants to play that way, good for them. All I want to see as a TB owner is way to filter out the empty visit logs when I view my TB page. No need to delete them.

+1

I am fine with the visit logs. They obviously solved an existing abuse of drop/retrieve logs to "dip" TBs. personally I don't visit a TB to every cache I find while it is in my possession, but if someone wants to play that way, good for them. All I want to see as a TB owner is way to filter out the empty visit logs when I view my TB page. No need to delete them.

I recently had a couple of TB owners give me a few of their TB to take to Dublin, Ireland. I had planned on dropping them in a cache there but circumstances prevented me from getting to a cache big enough to drop them off (the biggest cache I found was a film can) so I "visited" a couple of caches in Dublin then "visited" a cache in NYC on the way home and will drop them in a local TB hotel, probably this weekend. A visit log was perfect for this sort of scenario and a lot easier then the old "dip" method.

Is this true?

If so, I've been under a false belief that "Visit" was created after folks complained of the time/effort it took to Drop and Retrieve trackables to many caches.

All this time I believed "Visit" was simply a way to make that action easier...

All the fun has been sucked out of TBs.

If I'm going somewhere, I try to take some TBs along, and drop them off at the destination. Helping towards a goal, y'know?

Later I'll look in to see how the TB has fared since then. So that means, finding my old dropped log, and reading a few logs after that. What new fate did I send it to?

Well. Good luck finding your "dropped" log when, unbeknownst to you, it's on Page 27, with hundreds of noise logs in between. You can no longer, effectively, see the consequences of your actions. So why bother?

TBs were a fun feature, before Groundspeak put a bad ingredient into the secret sauce recipe. The OP's suggestion would effectively take this bad ingredient out, but leave it as an option for those who somehow enjoy it.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

Cachers have been requesting the ability to filter out "took it to" logs for several years.  How hard would it be to implement such a feature?

I have the ability to filter my geocaching logs for 18 different types of logs.  I would very much like to be able to filter out pages and pages (and pages and pages and pages) of "took it to" trackable logs.

• Upvote 1
On 8/10/2018 at 10:28 PM, charliewhiskey said:

I have the ability to filter my geocaching logs for 18 different types of logs.  I would very much like to be able to filter out pages and pages (and pages and pages and pages) of "took it to" trackable logs.

How do you filter your geocaching logs for 18 different log types?

Are you referring to geocaching logs that you have posted?  If so, then you can already do the same type of filtering for trackable logs.  But if you're referring to filtering logs on your owned geocaches, then I'd like to know how you do that.

On 8/6/2014 at 5:25 PM, niraD said:

Because separate drop and grab logs would be such an improvement.

You could disallow further logs from the same person after he "dropped" until someone else logged / dropped it. Maybe only temporarily (100 days?)

Edited by Aprilscherzen
  • Funny 4
On 6/21/2016 at 5:28 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Well. Good luck finding your "dropped" log when, unbeknownst to you, it's on Page 27, with hundreds of noise logs in between. You can no longer, effectively, see the consequences of your actions. So why bother?

I'm not sure understanding you in the right way, but if - could this page be a help for you: https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=2? After that you easily find your log by date on the TB's map page and you can see all following grab/took/drop action.

• Helpful 1

You have the date of your log and can scroll down on the TB map page (not the TB homepage) to it.

(Edit: Das mit den Funny-Votes finde ich auch merk-/fragwürdig. Vielleicht hast Du mal jmd. auf dem falschen Fuß erwischt oder jmd. findet Deinen User-Namen lustig. Trotzdem unangebracht...)

Edited by Rampensau
Edit
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
38 minutes ago, Rampensau said:

I'm not sure understanding you in the right way, but if - could this page be a help for you: https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=2? After that you easily find your log by date on the TB's map page and you can see all following grab/took/drop action.

Well I'll be darned, that works.  (Key part bolded, which I'd never thought to check before.)  Then find-in-page on your (my) username, bingo.  Thanks.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:03 AM, Aprilscherzen said:

You could disallow further logs from the same person after he "dropped". Maybe only temporarily (100 days?)

"I thought this geocoin looked familiar. I dropped it in a different cache a couple weeks ago. Today, I grabbed it and then dropped it in yet another cache. But geocaching.com won't let me log that. Sorry."

28 minutes ago, Aprilscherzen said:

If anyone else logged that trackable in the meantime, of course you can log it again.

"Oops. I dropped your geocoin in the wrong cache. I tried to retrieve it and drop it in the right cache, but geocaching.com won't let me."

On 8/6/2014 at 7:45 AM, stebu said:

This has been suggested in bulk delete visited logs

But the idea of filtering is buried in there, somewhere.

So just a simple setting for each owned trackable: show/hide visited logs.

13 hours ago, niraD said:

"Oops. I dropped your geocoin in the wrong cache. I tried to retrieve it and drop it in the right cache, but geocaching.com won't let me."

Ok,  that's a point. Still better than all those visited logs though, I think.

But even better would be stebu's suggestion, of course.