Geo-Art

We are completely stumped here .. not the first time, but usually we have an inkling! What exactly is a Geo-Art trail? e.g. GC5CM47 Obviously the caches cannot be at the oh so perfectly spaced and placed locations shown .. so what is the trick?/secret?/simple answer? as to what we are supposed to be doing? Frankly, we are too embarrassed to ask local cachers for help so thought we might look to this more anonymous forum for some tips, nudges, uproarious laughter ... As the boss said to the new employee, "We've had people here before who didn't have a clue what was going on, but it appears you don't even suspect!" Can anybody help us suspect?

It's just a typical geoart made of multis, the actual final locations are along a trail many kilometers away.

Multis allow you to put the final location as far away as you like.

We get multis. Some may need to know more about geoart, me included.

Edited by wmpastor

It's just a typical geoart made of multis, the actual final locations are along a trail many kilometers away.

Multis allow you to put the final location as far away as you like.

We get multis. Some may need to know more about geoart, me included.

Now we are feeling even dumber than before. We sort of understand multi's, we think ... we did complete GC4CFMP.

Let us try to ask this another way - we have no pride left - all sorts of people are logging finds for GC4CFMP, etc. and filing logs commenting on the containers. The description says the cache is not at the location listed (which is obvious based on the impossibility of laying out the art that accurately and which is borne out by your comment above). So... what are these cachers finding and where are they going to find it? Where/how does one begin to tackle this "geo-art"?

OK, a multi is a type of cache with multiple stages before reaching the final stage where the log book is. A multi can have 1 stage and then the final or an unlimited # of stages. Each stage tells you either where the next stage is or where the final is.

In the case of this geoart it is a two stage multi, (the posted coordinates and the final)

The link you posted is to Wood Tick Trail #001 and from stage one the final is located 15.44 Km’s from the posted co-ordinates @ a bearing of 61.39 degrees which using a waypoint projector like geolifeline put the final coordinates on O'Malley rd.

#002 seems to be about 161 meters away from #1 down some country dirt road that intersects O'Malley Rd and I'm assuming the rest will be down that dirt road.

OK, a multi is a type of cache with multiple stages before reaching the final stage where the log book is. A multi can have 1 stage and then the final or an unlimited # of stages. Each stage tells you either where the next stage is or where the final is.

In the case of this geoart it is a two stage multi, (the posted coordinates and the final)

The link you posted is to Wood Tick Trail #001 and from stage one the final is located 15.44 Km’s from the posted co-ordinates @ a bearing of 61.39 degrees which using a waypoint projector like geolifeline put the final coordinates on O'Malley rd.

#002 seems to be about 161 meters away from #1 down some country dirt road that intersects O'Malley Rd and I'm assuming the rest will be down that dirt road.

Ok, too late to work on this tonight, but I think I am seeing a glimmering of how this works. Thanks!

Ok, too late to work on this tonight, but I think I am seeing a glimmering of how this works. Thanks!

I think the light has dawned! EACH of the Wood Tick Trail caches is a multi-cache and the reference to "final cache" on each one is a DIFFERENT final cache. For some reason I had gotten the idea (because of the geo-art angle!) that these were all inter-related and were providing clues/directions to a SINGLE final cache. Not sure I feel any less like an idiot now!

So let me see if I have it right.

1. This series of Wood Tick caches really have nothing to do with each other aside from a common name and using the "offset" to make a cute picture (disgusting little picture, actually!) .. in real life this is just another trail/series of caches.

2. One can use various tools to derive the new co-ordinates and then enter them on the caching page. I am assuming that those are the co-ordinates that show up in the future when you log in and that therefore the corrected co-ordinates are what you would get if you generate a pocket query?

3. Curiosity question (which I guess will be solved after we locate a few of these) - if we find and log all of these caches, when we view the map of the area in the future from geocaching.com, do they then show as found at the "geo-art co-ordinates" rather than at the real co-ordinates - is that the final purpose of the geo-art schtick, so that you have this cute pattern when viewing your finds?

How am I doing? Pretty close?

Yes, now you've got it. Also, your maps will show the finds at the original bogus coordinates,continuing to be in the shape of the geoart.

True, however your PQ will have the updated coordinates and if you go to the map of yor PQ the map will show the new positions as well in case you want a visual.

But, then, it is not a multicache series, since there is nothing at the original location, and I doubt people could get to most of those locations? Then, they should be mystery caches. And restricted to be within 2 miles of the starting point,

For multicaches, one is supposed to go to the original location, and find either a container with instructions to the next stage, or information to use to determine the next stage.

This sounds like a violation of the guidelines, to permit the final more than two miles from the starting point.

But, then, it is not a multicache series, since there is nothing at the original location, and I doubt people could get to most of those locations? Then, they should be mystery caches. And restricted to be within 2 miles of the starting point,

For multicaches, one is supposed to go to the original location, and find either a container with instructions to the next stage, or information to use to determine the next stage.

This sounds like a violation of the guidelines, to permit the final more than two miles from the starting point.

I may be wrong but I don't think it breaks the rules because you are supposed to go to the posted GZ and project a waypoint from there. I have seen many multis like this. Just happens that for the series it's easier to get the final coordinates from home which I do on many multis.

• Upvote 1

The description says the cache is not at the location listed (which is obvious based on the impossibility of laying out the art that accurately and which is borne out by your comment above).

The caches in many geo-art series are at their listed locations, which often are very accurately laid out. For example, this steam locomotive, this fighter jet, and this kokopelli figure (to name just a few).

I may be wrong but I don't think it breaks the rules because you are supposed to go to the posted GZ and project a waypoint from there. I have seen many multis like this. Just happens that for the series it's easier to get the final coordinates from home which I do on many multis.

Must be a regional thing. Around here, you go to the first stage of the multi to find additional information to find the next stage. If there's nothing at the first stage, then it is a mystery/unknown cache type.

Before this, I had never heard of a multi with nothing at the first stage!

• Upvote 1

I am sure it depends on your area. If you have a lot of open land to place SPORs then placing traditionals would work great. Same with a forest, hang preforms. Given a lot of private area then you would be forced to place offset caches along public routes.

Edited by fbingha

I am sure it depends on your area. If you have a lot of open land to place SPORs then placing traditionals would work great. Same with a forest, hang preforms. Given a lot of private area then you would be forced to place offset caches along public routes.

It's pretty much a "western thing" in the U.S. where you are going to see traditionals at the posted coordinates Geo-Art. However, just this year I stumbled on a smiley face Geo-Art in a Pennsylvania State Gamelands about a hundred fitty miles from my home coordinates. Kinda cheesy by the standards of something you'd see on BLM land in the desert out west, but still a smiley face ==> :)

Obviously the caches cannot be at the oh so perfectly spaced and placed locations shown

Sometimes they are at the oh so perfectly spaced and placed locations shown:

a7a56302-e6cc-4a26-9d24-73d511ec4364.jpg?rnd=0.8029139

And that is why one should be careful about absolute statements! I should have said, in this case and knowing the area, obviously the caches cannot be at the oh so perfectly spaced & placed locations shown!

I bow to your correction!