Are there restrictions for event duration?

dadoskawina

Hi,

my coleague tried to publish an event. However our local reviever told him that he won't publish the event until its duration is extended to at least 30 min. I cannot found in official guidelines any information that an event cannot be shorter, for example a flashmob.

Last month I had organized an event for 15 minutes, and attedned other, even shorter. And the same reviewer published it without any comments.

So, my question is if there were any changes in guidelines last time?

If yes - why aren't they published on guidelines page? (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx)

If no - could reviewer block a publication only for the above time reason?

I think you'll need a reviewer to reply. I am aware of a group that had a few one minute events in the United States, but that was many years ago, and was sort of a joke. And I'm sure they really lasted more than 1 minute. :)

If you don't get any answers around here that there is guidance from above, your friend could always initiate the appeals process.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Hi,

my coleague tried to publish an event. However our local reviever told him that he won't publish the event until its duration is extended to at least 30 min. I cannot found in official guidelines any information that an event cannot be shorter, for example a flashmob.

Last month I had organized an event for 15 minutes, and attedned other, even shorter. And the same reviewer published it without any comments.

So, my question is if there were any changes in guidelines last time?

If yes - why aren't they published on guidelines page? (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx)

If no - could reviewer block a publication only for the above time reason?

Since this is a guideline issue, please suggest to your friend that he write to "Appeals" directly. You can do this by going to www.geocaching.com/help and choosing "09. Appeals" as the category for the question. We would be happy to help you!

Sounds like a good idea to me. How can you adequately socialize in less than 30 minutes?

I went to a flash mob once. We signed a logbook then sang Christmas Carols for 10 minutes then dispersed. So lame I won't even bother logging it. :rolleyes:

C'mon! That sounds like fun. You still remember it - unlike some park-n-grabs that you probably *did* log! :ph34r:

That's odd. Events in my area are routinely called "flash mobs" and scheduled for 15 minutes. I've never been to one, so I don't know if they actually break up after 15 minutes, but knowing the geocachers in my area, I doubt they do.

On 12/13/2014, I went to an event scheduled for 9:10:11am, so, theoretically, for a single second. That, for sure, lasted longer...

Since this is a guideline issue, please suggest to your friend that he write to "Appeals" directly. You can do this by going to www.geocaching.com/help and choosing "09. Appeals" as the category for the question. We would be happy to help you!

I'm pretty sure, that if HQ would publish an official information, e.g. in guidelines instead redirecting to 'appeals', this would be much more respected and better received.

I'm pretty sure, that if HQ would publish an official information, e.g. in guidelines instead redirecting to 'appeals', this would be much more respected and better received.

Well, reviewers are sometimes wrong, and appeals is the proper venue when they are wrong. Poland is one of the few places in the world where offended cachers have "somewhere else to go", so I would think "they" will go out of their way to accommodate people around here. :ph34r:

Well, reviewers are sometimes wrong, and appeals is the proper venue when they are wrong. Poland is one of the few places in the world where offended cachers have "somewhere else to go", so I would think "they" will go out of their way to accommodate people around here. :ph34r:

If google translate's correct, there's a hint of that in an identical thread of this subject in the Poland forums.

Edited by cerberus1

I think events should have a minimum duration of 1 hour, with the exception of flash mobs allowed for WWFM day.

However, I have never heard of an official minimum event duration actually being implemented as part of the Guidelines.

Edited by Joshism
That's odd. Events in my area are routinely called "flash mobs" and scheduled for 15 minutes. I've never been to one, so I don't know if they actually break up after 15 minutes, but knowing the geocachers in my area, I doubt they do.
I've been to several. In general, they're pretty much the same as other events, except that the official "event activities" are completed within a 15-minute window. People socialize before and after that 15-minute window, but the log is signed, a group photo is taken, a raffle is conducted, etc. within the 15-minute window specified.

Occasionally, there is a real "flash mob" aspect to these events, but usually not.