New function suggestion: more statistics

Friedolino2

Hi geocachers,

i like statistics about geocaching. Reading statistics of other players is very interesting and forces me to get more. I actually use project-gc. Other statistic generators deliver nearly the same result.

I wonder, why I have to use an other website then geocaching.com. Wouldn`t it be great to have right in your profile without using another website - sure everybody has the statistic site, but it the information level is not very high, so much interesting information are hidden.

If someone doesn't want to share the information, the user can hide it. Maybe you can declare two statistic levels - one for premium with much information and one for regular users with information level like today.

What do you think?

PS: this post has a similar topic.

As you point out, there are other web sites that focus on statistics and do a bang up job. I have no problem with GS improving their statistics, of course, but I'd prefer they focus on the parts of geocaching they're strong on rather than spend their time undermining sister sites that are doing just fine. A while ago, it might have been more important for GS to go into this kind of thing, but since they opened up the database via the API so other sites have access to the GS information, the other sites can do the job just as well as GS would be able to. I assume GS provided the API precisely because they wanted that to happen.

Hi geocachers,

i like statistics about geocaching. Reading statistics of other players is very interesting and forces me to get more. I actually use project-gc. Other statistic generators deliver nearly the same result.

I wonder, why I have to use an other website then geocaching.com. Wouldn`t it be great to have right in your profile without using another website - sure everybody has the statistic site, but it the information level is not very high, so much interesting information are hidden.

If someone doesn't want to share the information, the user can hide it. Maybe you can declare two statistic levels - one for premium with much information and one for regular users with information level like today.

What do you think?

PS: this post has a similar topic.

It's really easy to embed statistics from another web site (project-gc and others) or an application (gsak) into statistics page and, you're right, they're typically much better than what GS provides. If anything, GS might consider letting those partners manage statistics and they won't have to develop or support the statistics they GS generatates and they can focus development efforts on other things.

To me, when a cacher started caching is more telling than a stat showing how many finds they have. Someone with the means and ability to travel can hit certain areas and have several thousand finds within their first month of caching. That n00b with the high stat would be much less of an experienced cacher than one who has been around for several years.

Other sites specialize in stats. Good for them. Groundspeak specializes in listing caches. I hope they continue with what they are doing, and maybe continue the improvement with the search function.

To me, when a cacher started caching is more telling than a stat showing how many finds they have. Someone with the means and ability to travel can hit certain areas and have several thousand finds within their first month of caching. That n00b with the high stat would be much less of an experienced cacher than one who has been around for several years.

I agree, but having the means and ability to travel doesn't necessary equate to several thousand finds. Getting several thousand finds for someone with the means and ability to travel assumes that, A) that they travel to places with a lot of caches, and B) that they have a desire to find thousands of caches when they get there.

I think that being able to does provide the opportunity for a breadth of experience, not because of the number of caches to be found, but because one might encounter a greater variety of environments and a greater number of different cache owners with different hiding styles, preferred containers, and other preferences that someone would unlikely never see if all their geocaching was done in one area.

Other sites specialize in stats. Good for them. Groundspeak specializes in listing caches. I hope they continue with what they are doing, and maybe continue the improvement with the search function.

That's was my point earlier as well. I'd rather see GS find a way to integrate stats with sites that specialize in creating stats (especially considering the fact that some of these sites are described as official partners) then spend a lot of development time developing stats pages themselves.