Creating duplicate 'found it' records

Goldsons

Hello,

I am a beginner using my android smartphone, intro app, basic membership, and have so far found 15 or so caches. However when I post my 'found it' note when I am right there at the cache I seem to create multiple duplicate messages so now it looks like I have 30+ caches found.

1. Can I stop these duplicates, if so how?

2. Can I delete them from my profile?

Many thanks, loving this hobby so far!

Goldsons

Thank you Cerberus. I have found where to delete the duplicates so that's easy. I am sure I am not sending multiple times as I have been aware of this since my first caching outing so have been careful. Also, my phone appears to send the posts instantly no problem. Could it be my phone trying (and succeeding) to resend every time it picks up a signal? If it makes any odds, I have no way of phoning on my phone, ie, no credit, no contract etc. I just use it for eye-catching. Should I be switching something off?

Thanks for your replies. Seems like this isn't a standard beginner's problem. I tried something different today and went out with airplane mode, WiFi, roaming data and... all off. I tried to post my log as usual at the cache but noticed that if I tapped my profile at the top left off the app it had a new menu item 'unsent logs', whether this was happening on prior outings I don't know. I waited until I was back home before turning WiFi on again. The log sent instantly and twice, so none of today's changes worked. I could post from home but I like do it at the cache to capture the moment.

Could you write the log out in the field to capture the moment, but leave it unsent, then when you get home read the logs you wrote, log from the computer, then delete the phone logs?

That might be too much work for the situation, though. It'd be fewer keystrokes to simply multi-log from the field and delete the extras when you get home. <_<

I always use field notes, rather than posting actual logs. Later, when I have a real keyboard, I post actual logs using the field notes as personal shorthand reminders of what happened at the cache.

One of the benefits of this is that when a field note is uploaded multiple times, I see the duplicate field notes but can choose to post only a single log.

I'm not sure what the cause or the fix for this problem is, but this appears to be a rather common problem with people who use geocaching phone apps. I have had to delete people's duplicate logs on many occasions and I once received an email back from one rather shocked geocacher inquiring as to why i had deleted her log. I explained to her that for some reason she logs duplicates almost every cache she finds so I was only deleting the duplicates. I didn't get a reply. So at least you've identified that you have a problem in the first place! I use my GPS and the geocaching website on my computer so haven't really got much experience with any of the apps so I'm sorry I can't be of much help!

It happened to us a few times when we started as well. I think I was sending it and didn't think it went threw so I hit to send it again. Maybe not I am not sure why it happened but hasn't happened in years and I always log from my phone.

I probably wouldn't suggest letting it log your find 5 times and delete them later as it will probably confuse lots of cache owners. If it is just a duplicate here and there for you to delete it wouldn't be to big of a deal.