Nearest Cache and still not allowed

I am getting frustrated with trying to get a cache reviewed. First it took forever and then I was told it was too near another cache. The nearest one is over .10 of a mile away and yet the standard canned response was given. I measure it with a laser range finder that is accurate to within 3 meters.

This is getting rather old.

just venting. Please don't give me the song and dance about "new cachers" having difficulty. Rather than putting up canned responses with generic links to guidelines, how about providing the name of the cache it is too near and a link to it so we can verify YOUR work.

Best regards,

I am getting frustrated with trying to get a cache reviewed. First it took forever and then I was told it was too near another cache. The nearest one is over .10 of a mile away and yet the standard canned response was given. I measure it with a laser range finder that is accurate to within 3 meters.

just venting. Please don't give me the song and dance about "new cachers" having difficulty. Rather than putting up canned responses with generic links to guidelines, how about providing the name of the cache it is too near and a link to it so we can verify YOUR work.

Best regards,

Is it close to the final of a puzzle? A tag or other physical waypoint for a multi?

It is standard practice to communicate with reviewers on the cache page through reviewer notes. That is so all reviewers, not just the one you have been speaking to, can see the conversation.

Rather than putting up canned responses with generic links to guidelines, how about providing the name of the cache it is too near and a link to it so we can verify YOUR work.

Your reviewer told you exactly what cache is involved in his reviewer note on the cache page: "This submission is close to an existing active geocache, "31 Days of Geocaching - #10", GC4J057." Here's an easy link: GC4J057.

Rather than putting up canned responses with generic links to guidelines, how about providing the name of the cache it is too near and a link to it so we can verify YOUR work.

Your reviewer told you exactly what cache is involved in his reviewer note on the cache page: "This submission is close to an existing active geocache, "31 Days of Geocaching - #10", GC4J057." Here's an easy link: GC4J057.

Ah, well, the facts get in the way of a good rant once again.

B.

Just turns something fun into a dreaded ordeal.

Not for me. If I expect an issue (Area that seems pretty saturated? Expect an issue), I first do a saturation check:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

In your case, you could find one cache and solve your dilemma. Most of my caches were published by the reviewer in question, who is very helpful and not elitist. And one time, I got a rejected cache placement, and that was the final piece in the puzzle to finding an elusive Mystery cache I'd been struggling with for years. Sometimes being "too close to another cache" is a lot of fun! :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

You're right. My apologies.

I'm just going to quit trying to hide and just leech off of everyone elses work. Just easier that way and less issues.

Not everybody is cut out for cache ownership. Sometimes it takes effort and time. If simply working with a reviewer is such an "ordeal" for you, how are you going to handle it when you need to go out to change the logbook, replace muggled or damaged containers, check that it's there when a new cacher insists it isn't?

It isn't "leeching" to admit that cache ownership isn't for you. Cache ownership is a hassle. It isn't for everyone. You're not doing anybody any favours by putting out caches you aren't willing to maintain.

I'm just going to quit trying to hide and just leech off of everyone elses work. Just easier that way and less issues.

The same thing happens to the rest of us too. I just don't see your point. You are not being a leech by not hiding caches. :)

I am getting frustrated with trying to get a cache reviewed. First it took forever and then I was told it was too near another cache. The nearest one is over .10 of a mile away and yet the standard canned response was given.

I'm sure you think the neares cache is more than 0.1 miles away but are you sure there is no waypoint or final of a multi or mystery that's closer? Take a look at the map and see if there are mysteries you haven't solved within a 2 mile radius. Try to solve them. try to finish the multi's nearby.

Rest assured, a physical waypoint or cache will be within 0.1 miles B)

I am getting frustrated with trying to get a cache reviewed. First it took forever and then I was told it was too near another cache. The nearest one is over .10 of a mile away and yet the standard canned response was given.

I'm sure you think the neares cache is more than 0.1 miles away but are you sure there is no waypoint or final of a multi or mystery that's closer? Take a look at the map and see if there are mysteries you haven't solved within a 2 mile radius. Try to solve them. try to finish the multi's nearby.

Rest assured, a physical waypoint or cache will be within 0.1 miles B)

A Reviewer already gave us the answer:

Which proves that the Reviewer did not send a "canned" response to the OP.

B.

I am getting frustrated with trying to get a cache reviewed. First it took forever ...

Cache submitted for review: July 13th.

Reviewer note explaining conflict with actual location of identified nearby mystery cache: July 14th.

Service standard for initial review: seven days.

JY0oQf5.png

And then there is this.

Elitist?

I think the reviewer was very wise to insist on having all the review conversations kept on the cache listing. It allows for other reviewers (like me) and lackeys (like Moun10Bike) to see everything and point out what is going on. So, that's why.

Do your parents know you're on here? :ph34r:

Seriously it happens to all of us. But we don't give up because the world is against us, we act like adults and move on with it. We move our cache, or just not hide that cache. I'm wondering if this is sour grapes, or if this truly is your biggest problem. If it is, well then you've got it pretty good.

Best regards,

How are you even measuring? Are you measuring using actual coordinates or just 'range finding'?

Use the tool I just linked to, put in your cache coordinates and the coordinates of the one you insist is more than 528 feet away. Then solve the puzzle linking in a previous post and put in those coordinates.

Some simple effort of your part can make the problem - if it even is a problem - go away. It may turn out you only have to move your cache ten feet or adjust your coordinates by 0.001.

First it took forever and then I was told it was too near another cache. The nearest one is over .10 of a mile away and yet the standard canned response was given. I measure it with a laser range finder that is accurate to within 3 meters.

I want it NOW!! :ph34r: Patience will save you from a lot of grief.

Solve the mystery. It's an easy one and you'll see the distance of the actual cache is more than 1000 yards from the posted coords. That may help you in moving your cache to a location that will get approved.

A Reviewer already gave us the answer:

Yup, I noticed too late. I started my reply before I scrolled down all messages.

Edited by on4bam

Rather than putting up canned responses ...

I'd like to take a moment to explain canned responses.

Yes, many/most reviewers do use canned responses for many different situations. I currently have 85 canned responses for things like proximity, permission, commercial and many more.

So why do we do this? Why do we not take the extra time to make a personalized response to every issue? I know when I email customer support at a company, I often dread getting a canned response. Often it seems like the response applies about 10% to my situation, and they didn't spend enough time trying to resolve my issue. I hope people don't feel that about the reviewers.

But some of the reasons I'd like to give for canned responses vs personalized:

Consistency - When reviewing dozens or hundreds of caches each week, we try and be as consistent as possible in our review. By consistent I'm mostly speaking of consistency within my region, not country or world wide, as there are different land policies all over. Having a form helps me make sure I'm treating everybody the same - caches I know, cachers I don't know, and cachers new to the game.

Completeness - It's easy to forget a detail when there is an issue with a cache. If there is a proximity problem, I need to make sure I reference the cache or caches there are problems with, the distance that is a problem (unless it's a mystery/multi where I usually don't give distance). If it's a problem with land policy, I need to give the relevant information about contacts, permits, policies, etc. If I didn't use a form, I can guarantee my failing memory would forget something all the time!

Time - Of course, clicking a template and filling in a few details is a lot quicker than hand typing each reviewer note.