Wherefore art thou not, Kosovo?

funkymunkyzone

As per the topic description, Kosovo shows up on the maps, and there are caches there (I have found a few) and yet Kosovo is not in the countries list. It appears on the map, yet caches that exist there are listed as Serbian, and Kosovo remains a "hole" in my map...

Kosovo.JPG

Any chance sometime soon we can see Kosovo consistently added to the whole website and not just as a piece of no-man's land on the maps?

Edited by funkymunkyzone

See the prior answer given in 2013:

We generally try to stick to the Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications published by the United Nations Statistics Division. This list does not yet recognize Kosovo as a country.

Meanwhile, the maps used for the statistics tab come from Google. Perhaps Google recognizes Kosovo as a country. Has there been any change in the UN status since the last thread?

See the prior answer given in 2013:

We generally try to stick to the Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications published by the United Nations Statistics Division. This list does not yet recognize Kosovo as a country.

Meanwhile, the maps used for the statistics tab come from Google. Perhaps Google recognizes Kosovo as a country. Has there been any change in the UN status since the last thread?

You know there hasn't. But then again, I know that your question was not genuine anyway.

I "We generally try to stick to the Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications published by the United Nations Statistics Division" then the maps shouldn't show Kosovo either - after all, this is Groundspeak's website, not Google's. Either do or do not...

Not yet, but at least there's a door open. Serbia came to an agreement w/Kosovo in 2013 for eventual membership in the EU for Kosovo if they'd let the Serbs up north kinda run their own show, but there's still never been any official buy-in by the U.N. since they declared independence.

I "We generally try to stick to the Standard Country and Area Codes Classifications published by the United Nations Statistics Division" then the maps shouldn't show Kosovo either - after all, this is Groundspeak's website, not Google's. Either do or do not...

We have nowhere near the resources needed to replicate Google's maps and associated tools, which we use to create the maps on the statistics page. Until such time as we do, there will be disparities between our country list and the countries shown on the maps.

Due to the OP's disrespectful response to my effort to be helpful by pointing to a prior discussion, I am closing this thread. The OP is advised not to start a new one or bump an existing thread on the subject. The OP is welcome to contact Geocaching HQ directly via the Help Center.