Corrected Coordinates

fishercacher

I couldn't find this topic, so thought I'd start a new thread.

Would it be possible to extend the corrected coordinates feature to all cache types?

In general, but especially with the explosion of geo-art and the use of wherigos and letterboxes as part of the art, those caches frequently are not at the posted coordinates. Without the ability of correcting the coordinates within the app, we are forced to use another system to enter corrected coordinates. Even the occasional traditional cache requires corrected coordinates due to errors made by the CO in listing the cache.

As both unknown and multicaches already have this feature, just wondering how much work would be required to extend this to the other cache types?

I couldn't find this topic, so thought I'd start a new thread.

Would it be possible to extend the corrected coordinates feature to all cache types?

In general, but especially with the explosion of geo-art and the use of wherigos and letterboxes as part of the art, those caches frequently are not at the posted coordinates. Without the ability of correcting the coordinates within the app, we are forced to use another system to enter corrected coordinates. Even the occasional traditional cache requires corrected coordinates due to errors made by the CO in listing the cache.

As both unknown and multicaches already have this feature, just wondering how much work would be required to extend this to the other cache types?

Very little. The limitation is actually an artificially imposed condition within the Javascript on the website itself; remove the logic there and it will just work.

(There's a tampermonkey script floating around that did exactly this, unfortunately it seems to have been rendered ineffective by geocaching.com enforcing HTTPS for cache pages.)

People have been asking for this for quite some time ...

(There's a tampermonkey script floating around that did exactly this, unfortunately it seems to have been rendered ineffective by geocaching.com enforcing HTTPS for cache pages.)

I've hacked up that script and made it work again:-

https://openuserjs.org/scripts/EngPhil/Geocaching.com_Correct_All_Cache_Coordinates

If anyone knows who the original author was, please let me know, so I can credit it appropriately!

(Disclaimer:- I'm no Javascript expert. I make no guarantees as to the validity of that code. I found it on the Internet and modified it to make it work. If it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.)

ETA: This post suggests the author was pailakka.

Edited by EngPhil

Even the occasional traditional cache requires corrected coordinates due to errors made by the CO in listing the cache.

You already have the ability to post new coordinates in your log in this situation.

B.

I think the idea is that the OP, and others, want to correct the coordinates in the cache listing so the cache will appear at the corrected location when downloaded onto GPSr devices. For example, when a cache has incorrect coords and other cachers post corrected coords in their logs, but the CO doesn't update the cache listing. I'd like to update the coords on the cache listing so the cache appears in the correct location when I download the cache to my GPSr. Should the CO correct the coordinates on the cache page, yes - but sometimes they don't, so cachers should be able to correct the coordinates if they want to.

Another example is Wherigo caches. The final location is usually NOT at the posted coords, much like a multi or mystery cache. I can put the final coords in the "Personal Cache Note" section of the cache page, but then I'd have to open the cache page in order to see where to go.