Email replies to message center not working

arisoft

Replying to the Message Center notification email does not appear in the message center any more.

No error message is bounced back and no message is shown in the MC. This feature worked earlier with the same device setup.

Edited by arisoft

No, that checkbox isn't selected in my MC. But it shouldn't matter; I used my email client to send that reply, to [hexababble]@mc.geocaching.com.

In my Thunderbird outbox, it says

Some quick reply to a cacher. This is the other part of the reply.

Cheers,

VP

On 16-03-28 07:21 PM, Geocaching wrote:

[remainder omitted]

There must be logic to remove the original message (On blah-blah Geocaching wrote:), and I assume it overachieved.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

No, that checkbox isn't selected in my MC. But it shouldn't matter; I used my email client to send that reply, to [hexababble]@mc.geocaching.com.

In my Thunderbird outbox, it says

Some quick reply to a cacher. This is the other part of the reply.

Cheers,

VP

On 16-03-28 07:21 PM, Geocaching wrote:

[remainder omitted]

There must be logic to remove the original message (On blah-blah Geocaching wrote:), and I assume it overachieved.

One odd thing I've noticed with Gmail (and maybe you don't use Gmail...but perhaps it's a related issue?) is that when I type a dash before my name (i.e., Thanks! - J Grouchy), it will interpret that dash as a horizontal line and include everything after the line in the "quoted" text, as if it were part of the email I was replying to. Is it possible something similar could be happening here?

I recently replied to a number of geocaching-related emails.

In my geocaching inbox, I received three message like this:

Your Geocaching message failed to send

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but something went wrong on Geocaching.com.

Your email address, [snip], is not part of this conversation.

Check your message and try again. Or visit the Message Center to reply to their message there. Or send a pigeon. Whatever works for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If the error is due to a bug in our system, our team is most likely already working on it.

Best,

Geocaching HQ

Gee, how helpful.

My first choice would be for the replies to go through to the Message Center users who originally contacted me.

My second choice would be for the replies to go to the original senders' email addresses.

My third choice would be for the "Sorry" message to include some sort of hint about which message wasn't delivered, so I can try to communicate with the person in some other way.

The current approach of sending a context-free "Sorry" message doesn't really help me much.