[FEATURE] Bulk Action Mark Missing

Isonzo Karst

Suggestion that Geocaching HQ Admin look worldwide at all trackables in caches, and Mark Missing all with drop logs a year old or older, in Traditional caches with D/T ratings of 1.5 or less.

I expect 99.99% of such trackables are, in fact, missing. This would go a long way to cleaning up the current high level of inaccuracy in trackable inventories.

This could perhaps be expanded to more caches of more types and D/T ratings after seeing how the first round works out.

In celebration of 15 years since TB1 and all...

I'm pretty sure this will never happen. The cache listings are owned and supposedly maintained by the cache owner. If TB's are missing, then cache finders should be mentioning that in their Found It logs and the CO's should remove the TB's from their cache's inventory.

Cache finders can also mention the missing status on the Trackable page, to alert the TO that their TB isn't where it says it is. The TO can then mark their TB as missing.

I agree that having accurate TB histories and accurate cache Inventories would be ideal. Perhaps sending an email blast to CO's that meet the criteria you mentioned would be better, with very clear instructions on how those CO's can mark the TB's missing. Having Groundspeak make blanket updates to cache listings just seems like a bad idea, IMO.

I'm pretty sure this will never happen. The cache listings are owned and supposedly maintained by the cache owner. If TB's are missing, then cache finders should be mentioning that in their Found It logs and the CO's should remove the TB's from their cache's inventory.

Cache finders can also mention the missing status on the Trackable page, to alert the TO that their TB isn't where it says it is. The TO can then mark their TB as missing.

I agree that having accurate TB histories and accurate cache Inventories would be ideal. Perhaps sending an email blast to CO's that meet the criteria you mentioned would be better, with very clear instructions on how those CO's can mark the TB's missing. Having Groundspeak make blanket updates to cache listings just seems like a bad idea, IMO.

It is not the responsibility of the CO to mark as missing trackables that are missing. S/he has the ability, but not the responsibility. (That being said, I just went through my sister's caches, and marked five bugs as missing...)

To OP: There are caches where the CO glues a trackable to the container, and everyone who finds it can log it. Other than that, I like the idea!

To OP: There are caches where the CO glues a trackable to the container, and everyone who finds it can log it. Other than that, I like the idea!
Yeah, if implemented, the proposal would need to count both Drop and Discover logs as indicating a trackable's viability. That would also help with the occasional awkwardly oversized trackable that finds its way into a large size cache and then stays there because no one wants to schlep it around, or find another large size cache that it will fit in.

I deliberately discounted discover logs, as they have nothing to do with a trackable's location. They relate to lists of codes being circulated.

The critical element is the date of drop.

There are trackables with pages of recent discover logs. But the cache inventory where they're shown has, "no trackables", "none of the TBs in inventory are here".

Re, "caches where the CO glues a trackable to the container, and everyone who finds it can log it". Moving the trackable into an Unknown location would have zero impact on this. If the cache/trackable owner notices, they can put it back into its last known location. Or not. It'll keep right on being discovered regardless.

I agree that having accurate TB histories and accurate cache Inventories would be ideal. Perhaps sending an email blast to CO's that meet the criteria you mentioned would be better, with very clear instructions on how those CO's can mark the TB's missing.

Groundspeak needs to blast the takers. Cut it out with the "Keep it for 2 weeks", and especially get rid of the text in the INTRO APP that specifically says to "Keep Trackables". Otherwise, Groundspeak should blast people who suggest any way for other people other than the Owners to Mark Trackables Missing. Instead, Log Trackables Properly, and do not do things that remove them from the game. Just one example: You will see a recent post in this Forum where it is suggested that a TB should be thrown away. And that I am the only respondent who stands against that. Moderators and Admins should be doing a whole lot more about stopping suggestions on how to dispose of Trackables, but they are not. The App and the Web Site should be very clear that Trackables must remain in play, but it's never made clear, the info is contradictory.

Also, when someone is manipulating the logs in order to sell valuable Trackables on ebay, GS should should blast the seller. And then correct the logs. If it is ever found that GS will not do so :ph34r:, I'd oppose any "Mark Missing" plans for Trackables that are not one's own. Admins: Please tell people to MYOB. It's not their property to mess around with.

Instead, a cacher profile setting to remove Trackables from cache Inventory lists might be OK. A selection to not show one's own Trackables, or to ignore everyone's, or some of each.

Edited by kunarion

Moderators and Admins should be doing a whole lot more about stopping suggestions on how to dispose of Trackables, but they are not.

Thanks for the suggestion to step up the censorship in this forum. I'll be banninating Isonzo Karst imminently and permanently.

I'll be banninating Isonzo Karst imminently and permanently.

Mark him Missing. It's [Feature]. :anicute:

But seriously, discussions about how and when to discard others' Trackables deserve a blast. Is there truly disagreement on this point among TPTB?. An Admin saying something like "We don't condone the discarding of Trackables" would be appropriate, and appreciated by Owners. Because as you see, without that, the next step is a lotta "Automatic Mark Missing" ideas.

Edited by kunarion

I made this a new discussion thread, but Isonzo Karst notified me of this one (thanks). Geesh, I had no idea this has been an identified challenge since 2011. And little to no action has ever been taken. As predicted by many back then the situation has only gotten worse in terms of the number of missing trackables still on cache pages. Advising COs and trackable owners has had little to no effect. Unfortunately, the situation is just a joke but the only thing laughable is the recent newsletter email from Groundspeak that touted more than 2 million trackables in circulation. Most of these are gone!

My original post is as follows, but there are many great (and somewhat softer) approaches that have been noted which I would be fine to see. Just do something! Given the authority, I would be happy to volunteer hours to mark TBs and GCs as missing after first giving the owners a chance to do it themselves (just like a cache).

[original post]

Moving trackables has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of geocaching since I joined in 2007. However, as has been mentioned over and over in these forums, the careless handling of trackables has become an epidemic which is truly unfortunate. There are still a good number in circulation, but I would say that at least 2/3 of caches that I visit does not have the trackable that is listed as being there. With a map full of icons that say there is a trackable it is an unpleasant task to try and weed them out. I've been proactive to let both TB and GC owners as well as cache owners know they should mark their items as missing if it's been more than a year, but rarely get action.

Without taking action, the 'litter' of missing trackables will only get worse. My question is, with the obvious exception of those that may be in a very lonely cache, can/should Groundspeak make a clean sweep and eliminate or mark missing any trackable that hasn't been moved in a given amount of time (say one or two years)?