Owners not active for years, can I adopt caches?

WIgma

I have come across quite a few caches near me that are still being found and logged, but the owners have been inactive for years. Is there a way to adopt these? The email addresses have been disabled, so I can't contact them.

I have come across quite a few caches near me that are still being found and logged, but the owners have been inactive for years. Is there a way to adopt these? The email addresses have been disabled, so I can't contact them.

Let's take one example: GC20B0R

The owners haven't logged in since 2014.

Almost every one of their 30-something caches have red wrenches and were archived by a reviewer.

This one has a red wrench.

Someone posted an NM back in Nov 2016. Contents are wet. Others have noted the wet log.

Then someone added another (dry) log.

The photo gallery shows a photo of a magnetic key holder (notorious for being wet--it's not water tight at all, and should be placed in a protected location).

Every cache should have an active responsible owner, otherwise the cache owner has littered - abandoned, no longer monitored and maintained by the person who left it.

You logged a find stating 'TFTC'.

The next finder said both logs were wet.

The last finder said the log was damp.

Time to post another NM and re-state why the cache needs maintenance. Then wait a couple of weeks (on the off chance that the owners might reply) then post an NA. Restate why the cache needs attention and note that the CO hasn't logged in since 2014.

When the reviewer archives the cache, you can then hide and submit your own (hopefully watertight good quality) cache at that location.

That way the cache will have an active responsible cache owner.

You can be a great example for the community by monitoring your listing and email, and providing maintenance.

See guidelines regarding cache ownership.

• Upvote 1

Where I used to live. a cacher had a series of caches that everyone loved. He died suddenly of a heart attack but his family did not have the password to his GC account so they couldn't be adopted. The local people got together and vowed to maintain the caches if problems arose.

Where I used to live. a cacher had a series of caches that everyone loved. He died suddenly of a heart attack but his family did not have the password to his GC account so they couldn't be adopted. The local people got together and vowed to maintain the caches if problems arose.

Curious, how did the "local people" get multiple DNF, NM, or even NAs removed from cache pages, if issues were met by others not local?

It seems (to me) to be a nice gesture, but doesn't (really) help much when there's no one able to access the cache page. :)

You might want to suggest to the family that they set up an account and contact Groundspeak headquarters to adopt their father/husband/sibling's cache. I would think Groundspeak would do this for family members of a deceased cacher.

Edited by L0ne.R

The local caches ,including a reviewer, divided up looking after the caches. Most were in places that would require a hike, so usually newbies didn't go looking for them. If multiple DNFs were logged, they went out and checked on them. As far as I know, none had a NA logged on them. They even chipped in to pay for a memorial picnic table in one of the open space parks in the area.There is a TB tag on it. He died about 2010 or so.

Edited by Wacka

The local caches ,including a reviewer, divided up looking after the caches. Most were in places that would require a hike, so usually newbies didn't go looking for them. If multiple DNFs were logged, they went out and checked on them. As far as I know, none had a NA logged on them. They even chipped in to pay for a memorial picnic table in one of the open space parks in the area. There is a TB tag on it.

Cool. :)

The local caches ,including a reviewer, divided up looking after the caches. Most were in places that would require a hike, so usually newbies didn't go looking for them. If multiple DNFs were logged, they went out and checked on them. As far as I know, none had a NA logged on them. They even chipped in to pay for a memorial picnic table in one of the open space parks in the area. There is a TB tag on it.

Cool. :)

What a great way to remember a member of the community!