Micro cache attached to traffic signs?

Guest Yellow Jacket

Guest BrownMule

When you say stop sign you probably are talking about county, state or city road rightaway of some sort. Unless you could get permission from the agency managing that rightaway I would say no. Remember we can be our own worst enemy by placing caches where they are not permitted. I say all this without knowing the exact particulars of where this sign is but generally speaking I personally would stay away from public road rightaways.

BrownMule

13184_800.gif

Guest madphatboy2

I'm generally not one to break laws , but I would say that if the sign is in a major area, I wouldn't try it. But if it's in an area with very little traffic, I'd maybe try and see what happens. Maybe take an empty one and stick it there for a week or 2 and see what happens. Now I have a question, can anybody tell me where I can get a pretty strong magnet to do a similar thing? I got one at wal-mart today and played with it, but it doesn't seem strong enough to stick well. Thanks,

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Hawk-eye

I would second what the mule says ... best to avoid this ... when it comes to messing with State property ... especially traffic signs ... I think you'd be opening a can of worms. Not to mention ... having a bunch of cachers surrounding a stop sign could be a little hazardous ...

348_1002.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

... Now I have a question, can anybody tell me where I can get a pretty strong magnet to do a similar thing? I got one at wal-mart today and played with it, but it doesn't seem strong enough to stick well. Thanks,

Have you tried a hardware ... or one of these yuppie educational toy stores ... I've seen some pretty strong magnets in there as part of science project kit.

348_1002.gif

Saito placed one called Tiny - ID in Idaho Falls. It is on the back of a metal post, and it is attached by magnet.

This is actually not a traffic sign, but a sign in a park (and writing this is a MAJOR spoiler, so I hope I don't get in trouble with the only guy who hunts my caches!) However, it probably is owned by the city or county ...

MPB2, you might want to e-mail him and ask where he got the container ...

Guest Geoffrey

Radio Shack has had very strong magnets, and they may still sell them. They are dougnut shaped.

My idea is a small clear sticker, with the coordinates for the next cache, stuck on the back of a deer crossing sign. Also flat rubber magnets that are stuck on the back of some bussiness cards would stick under a transformer box(the ones you may see in a park).

Another idea is phone booths. You could write coordinates, say on page 341 in the yellow pages in the phonebooth outside the party store, or where ever you want. Or you can write the cordinates next to Octagonal Dumpsters Incorporated, and they would have to look up that bussiness to find the cords for the next cache.

------------------

Geoff's GPS Information Page

Geoff's Information on GPS units, and price guide for several units

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 21 February 2002).]

I'd advise against a stop sign or any other roadway sign in general simply because it doesn't seem like a particularly interesting or unique place for a cache, unless it happens to be in the middle of Red Square or something.

Guest madphatboy2

Thanks for all the info, but I want the magnets for film canisters (or similar) because I will be having puzzles and riddles to try and figure out.

(essay, I hope this doesn't apoil it for you if you come to find it. icon_wink.gif )

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest madphatboy2

Thanks for all the info, but I want the magnets for film canisters (or similar) because I will be having puzzles and riddles to try and figure out.

(essay, I hope this doesn't apoil it for you if you come to find it. icon_wink.gif )

------------------

MPB2

MPB2, maybe try this guy, too ... I never actually FOUND his cache -- I was the band leader of the three folks from Idaho Falls referred to in Yonder's log -- but I heard that it was a film canister, and I'm almost positive (in hindsight) it was attached to the metal bridge -- it may even say that in the hints ...

it's a gorgeous day here and i'm torturing myself by doing cache searches in all the areas I COULD be in, but am NOT in ... I'm still hoping for a cache run to SLC this spring icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14161

MPB2, maybe try this guy, too ... I never actually FOUND his cache -- I was the band leader of the three folks from Idaho Falls referred to in Yonder's log -- but I heard that it was a film canister, and I'm almost positive (in hindsight) it was attached to the metal bridge -- it may even say that in the hints ...

it's a gorgeous day here and i'm torturing myself by doing cache searches in all the areas I COULD be in, but am NOT in ... I'm still hoping for a cache run to SLC this spring icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14161

Guest Dutchboy

I saw a few caches where the owner simply took round washers, wrote a code word on them, and attached them to signs, fences, etc with plastic cable straps. They don't look like they are that out of place, and most were left alone. No log book, but a different type of micro cache.

Guest sbukosky

You might use a sign as a starting point for a muti-part cache. Signs in Wisconsin have a warning label about defacing them. Simply leaving a small tag or coordinate with an ink marker on the backside could still be considered defacing. I am creating a cache where the listed coordinates are for a sign. From that sign you must do a little compass work to find the tag showing the coordinates of the next part of the hunt or the cache itself. Here's a picture of the beginning ofthe hunt.

------------------

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I would not have any problem with sticking things on traffic signs, transformer boxes, etc. AS LONG AS THEY WERE NOT PERMANENT!! In other words, cable ties that could be clipped or magnets only. No glues or decals,etc. We don't need any municpalities with a grudge against geocaching. I have gotten magnetic sheeting that was pre cut to business card size with adhesive on one side at office supply stores. I print stuff on business card size computer paper & stick them to the adhesive side of the magnets. If you printed on waterproof paper this would be a great way to leave cache clues on metal objects like the back of signs, etc.

As far as regular magnets, the rare earth type are the stongest. Radio Shack also sells packs of them.

Guest george70

placed the cache yet but I've had one on the side of my desk for a few days now and it hasn't moved. I can always stick another magnet on if i want a better stick.

George

[This message has been edited by george70 (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest george70

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchboy:

I saw a few caches where the owner simply took round washers, wrote a code word on them, and attached them to signs, fences, etc with plastic cable straps. They don't look like they are that out of place, and most were left alone. No log book, but a different type of micro cache.

I'm not sure how I'd deal with a cache that was a washer stuck to a sign. That might be crossing the line from micro cache to virtual cache if you ask me.

george

Guest worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

I'd advise against a stop sign or any other roadway sign in general simply because it doesn't seem like a particularly interesting or unique place for a cache, unless it happens to be in the middle of Red Square or something.

No traffic signs in Red Square, but you can really get hassled by the authorities if you get caught using a GPSr without permission. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

No traffic signs in Red Square, but you can really get hassled by the authorities if you get caught using a GPSr without permission. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by essay:

Saito placed one called Tiny - ID in Idaho Falls. It is on the back of a metal post, and it is attached by magnet.

This is actually not a traffic sign, but a sign in a park (and writing this is a MAJOR spoiler, so I hope I don't get in trouble with the only guy who hunts my caches!) However, it probably is owned by the city or county ...

MPB2, you might want to e-mail him and ask where he got the container ...

The container is actually a magnetic "hide-a-key" .... originally used to hide a spare car key, attached to the frame or under the fenderwell of your car. Any locksmith store, Kmart, Walmart, Target, stores have them for a couple of bucks.

And nope - no offense taken for the "major spoiler" given - heck, maybe someone else might go to the cache - I need at least 97 more to reach the goal!

saito

Guest King Pellinore

Most signs here are aluminium, but the posts are still iron, so the magnet would work there. Still, I think it's better to use the existing sign as a clue. Say a mile marker or speed limit sign... "take the number on the sign, subtract that from the longitude etc etc" Same idea with the phone book. "Find the number for Bob's Used Paint, add the digits together and use that as the latitude..." or "use the first three digits of the phone number for the World Wide Wicket company as the seconds of the longitude..." That way, you achieve the same effect without defacing anything.

I hunted one that was a 35 mm film canister inserted in the tubular pipe holding the sign up. There was some papers jammed about 6 inches down so the cannister wouldn't go below, but you still needed an instrument or spoon to grab the thing and pull it up.

Alan