carrying ammo can in luggage thru airport?

MissJenn

Hiya.

I need to travel (US domestic, Delta airlines) next week, and I hope to carry along with me a small ammo can. Do you have any tips for me?

I FULLY expect to beep at the TSA security checkpoints, and I'd really like to do everything possible to make that experience as painless as possible. Some things I already plan to do:

• cover the military-looking code with a gc.com sticker

• no items will be in the can

• the rest of my luggage will be filled with the usual stuff that a person travelling for an office job carries with them, i.e. no bullets, no PVC pipes, lots of boring clothes
Is there ANYTHING else you can suggest for me? Should I hand-carry it? Or would it best to check it through? (I'm so not looking forward to the hassle that I'm considering going through the extra hassle of mailing it to my destination. Thoughts on this?)

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

MissJenn,

I don't see any problem but a couple of pointers. If you hand carry it, u're bag will definately be pulled after going thru xray. Better to carry it in your hand by itself & give it to them at the beginning of the line to check. Tell them you carry it for your camera equipment's protection or something equally innocuous. Maybe even put your camera stuff in it. They may subject it to a scan for explosive residue. If it only had ammo in it originally they should not get a reading. If, however, it ever contained any type of explosives you may be in for an interrogation. Same thing if it goes thru in your checked baggage as now all checked baggage is subject to a residue test. I would douse the thing with alchohol & wipe it out thouroughly to be safe. icon_wink.gif

"Leaving Protected Zone: Demonstrate Personal Accountability Beyond This Point".

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

Tell them you carry it for your camera equipment's protection or something equally innocuous. .... I would douse the thing with alchohol & wipe it out thouroughly to be safe.

Will do, and will do.

I never even thought about the possibility of explosive residue on an ammo box - duh! I just KNEW you would have constructive advice for me! Thank you so much.

I'd say place it in your checked bag. Stuff it with your socks, or something so it looks like it's being used for something.

Good catch by Crusso on the residue. I doubt there would be any, but ya never know.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Put the towel in the ammo can, paind DON'T PANIC on the side of the can and explain to them that a towel is the most versatile and useful thing a hitchiker can carry. Tell them that it is very important that the towel is safe. There may be a beast of Traal on the plane or it may crash and your flotation device set cussion may need a sail, and if its not terribly diry you can dry yourself with it as well.

Eeyore

A rocking chair or a porch swing with an old person in it is a histroy lesson.

My guess is, you are going to have a problem that will not be worth the hassle. If you are concerned that airport security will be concerned, it is almost guaranteed that they will be. Wouldn't it be more convenient just to pick up an another ammo can at your destination for 10 bucks or so?

If you do try to check it through airport security, be sure to report back to us how it went.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Have to agree with Seneca on this one. In my opinion airport security will have a problem with an ammo can checked luggage or carry on. Its a military item and may have explosive residue. Your best bet is to mail it ahead or buy one at your destination. Maybe a geocacher in the area you are going to could buy one and drop it off at your hotel.

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and Shadow:

Put the towel in the ammo can, paind DON'T PANIC on the side of the can and explain to them that a towel is the most versatile and useful thing a hitchiker can carry. Tell them that it is very important that the towel is safe. There may be a beast of Traal on the plane or it may crash and your flotation device set cussion may need a sail, and if its not terribly diry you can dry yourself with it as well.

Why, of course! This is THE most practical advice yet! The other folks who have responded so far don't really know anything about proper travel, do they, Eeyore? icon_wink.gif

If all else fails, I can buy the TSA folks a few rounds of Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, and we can all laugh about the entire thing. If they confiscate the ammo can, I hope they leave me my towel so I can mop myself up with it after the PGGBs.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on August 12, 2003 at 08:34 AM.]

Won't be a problem at all. In fact, most airlines allow you to transport ammunition in your checked bag as well. I do it all the time when I fly. Put my Glock and about 200 rounds of ammo in the checked bag. No problems at all. I doubt they will even look twice at an ammo can, go right ahead and pack it full of your travel stuff to save space in your bag.

First, stack about 20 D-cell batteries in the bottom of it. This will assure that anything in the top won't rattle around (like insulation) and then to hold them in place, use a large amount of playdoh. No need to splurge, just use a colorless...grey, if you will...no-name brand clay. The next thing to do is put in a small alarm clock and some extra wires (just...in case).

Finally, close it up and lock it. Wrap it inside of a box with a pretty gift wrap and place it in your carry-on.

Oh...sorry, just re-read your post. Nevermind.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Won't be a problem at all. In fact, most airlines allow you to transport ammunition in your checked bag as well ...

There wasn't a single smiley face in your post, Team 360, so I'm guessing you are serious. This is good news to me, as it seems most of us thus far on this page have gone only on good logic and some supposition. A little first-hand experience goes a long way. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Won't be a problem at all. In fact, most airlines allow you to transport ammunition in your checked bag as well ...

There wasn't a single smiley face in your post, Team 360, so I'm guessing you are serious. This is good news to me, as it seems most of us thus far on this page have gone only on good logic and some supposition. A little first-hand experience goes a long way. Thanks!

Yup. I do it all the time.

The way things are these days, I would not risk it and would just buy a new ammo box at my destination. Even the suspecion could cause you to be delayed long enough to miss your flight. Then your name will end up on some secret government database and they will be watching you.... They are always watching!

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

If you do try to check it through airport security, be sure to report back to us how it went.

In a moment of brilliance, I decided to call my airline. The 1st person I spoke to was unfamiliar with the procedure (not surprising), so she asked TPTB over there and she told me that I ought to lock the ammo can (even if it has no ammo in it), put it in checked luggage, declare what is inside to the ticket agent, and go on my merry way. (The towel suggestion is looking easier and easier! icon_smile.gif )

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Dorky engineers have been known to carry dorky aluminum briefcases. It's got a metal case, lots of room, you can lock it and has a carry handle. An ammo can isn't any different except for some reason people freak out.

Your friendly airline clerk may have given you ok adivice, but depending on your other check in you could pay a nice stiff fee for the advice. Plus they will beat it to snot like the gorillas in the American Tourister commercials. If it was me I'd carry it inside my normal carry on bag. You can stuff it with socks, towel etc. and make it so that it doesn't really take up more room in your carry on bag. Especially if it was the 30cal can. In my case I'm going to get pulled and searched anyway so an ammo can doesn't make much difference.

quote:
Originally posted by ucmike:

in the age of suspicous shoes, cameras, lighters and toenail clippers...

Which is exactly why something as obvious as an ammo can should be relatively easy to deal with. If it doesn't look like a cell-phone or hairbrush, they'll let it through with just a cursory glance. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't see any problem with it at all. It's an empty box, or a box with some socks and a towel in it. To the casual passer-by on the street, it may look like a military thingamabob (mostly due to it's color), but these screeners are (supposedly) trained to be able to identify dangerous items. They'll want to see it. They'll open it up and look at the contents, see that it's not a dangerous item and send you on your merry way.

I went to Las Vegas in January and took my camera and a small tripod with me. When the legs of the tripod are folded together, it has roughly the same shape as a gun. After passing my laptop bag (which had the camera stuff in it) through the x-ray machine, they were very interested in the tripod. They emptied my bag, asked what it was, then took it to the x-ray operator to confirm that that's what they saw. They gave it back and I went about the business of catching my flight.

I don't believe in going out of my way to appease airport security personnel. I'm not a terrorist and I don't try to get my guns through in my carry-on. I've done my part. They need to do theirs - catch the bad guys and let the good guys through. The "security" at airports is a joke, anyways. It's all smoke and mirrors designed to make the travelling public feel better about flying. There's nothing secure about airport security.

</coffee-induced rant over>

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and Shadow:

Put the towel in the ammo can, paind DON'T PANIC on the side of the can and explain to them that a towel is the most versatile and useful thing a hitchiker can carry. ...

big_tung.gif

You are one cool frood who really knows where his towel is.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Actually, you have to check your guns in and notify them that they are in your luggage. The requirement is that they be in a locked container seperate from the ammo.

Here are some links to actual info, not paranoid opinion.

http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/2775/

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~gderb/airtravel.htm

http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

I believe you can carry on up to 50 lbs of ammo, but you'd have to check on that with the air carrier (I read that was the procedure, but I think that was a while ago).

[RANT] An ammo box is nothing but a box. The same people who think it is anything more are quite likely the ones who want to regulate guns. I can show those types two guns, one that has awesome firepower, but looks like a hunting rifle, and a .22 cal. single shot that is painted green, and they will swear the green one should be banned because it's a military weapon.

Common sense says that an ammo can is not what a terrorist is going to use to transport something like a bomb. Common sense says an ammo can is just a box, like a tool box, a briefcase, or a cardboard box. But people react instead of thinking. Just like my opinion of environmentalism, people who are paranoid about anything remotely resembling military weapons bother me. I'm sick of having every facet of my life regulated by a bunch of clueles nutcases! [/RANT]

Use your ammo box. Wash it out with dish soap and hot water, put some rubbing alchol in a spray bottle and spray then wipe it down.

Shouldn't take very long. That'll keep the dogs from indicating on it. Legally you can carry a locked ammo box onto a plane, in your hands or in your luggage. You are required to open it and allow them to inspect it if they ask you to. They probably won't, since terrorists prefer something more innocent looking (like a hollowed out book).

But, I carry a locked ammo box with my handguns in it and check it in at the ticket counter (they won't let you do it out at the kiosks... there is some forms to fill out). Just put it inside your suitcase, and don't sweat it.

Take the lid off and put your underwear in it if you want to avoid hassles but still want to use the space it takes up.

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on August 12, 2003 at 11:40 AM.]

I always wondered why they make me put the "Not Loaded" tag INSIDE the locked case I carry the gun in...

See 18 USC 922(e) for federal law about "common carriers".

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that ANY PASSENGER WHO OWNS OR LEGALLY POSSESSES A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BEING TRANSPORTED ABOARD ANY COMMON OR CONTRACT CARRIER FOR MOVEMENT WITH THE PASSENGER IN INTERSTATE OR FOREIGN COMMERCE MAY DELIVER SAID FIREARM OR AMMUNITION INTO THE CUSTODY OF THE PILOT, CAPTAIN, CONDUCTOR OR OPERATOR OF SUCH COMMON OR CONTRACT CARRIER FOR THE DURATION OF THE TRIP WITHOUT VIOLATING ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS CHAPTER. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

Paint the box. Put some of your stuff in it to save space. Put it in your unlocked luggage. And check it. It is a steel box nothing more and nothing less. The most that will happen is that after you check your bag they will do an inspection. You will know if they inspected when you get your bag back and it has a TSA seal on it and an explanation card in your luggage. My luggage gets inspected regularly mainly because I carry a 3 cell maglite in it. (Have to check bags if they have bigger than a 2 D cell flash light in them)

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

I always wondered why they make me put the "Not Loaded" tag INSIDE the locked case I carry the gun in...

See http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html for federal law about "common carriers".

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that ANY PASSENGER WHO OWNS OR LEGALLY POSSESSES A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BEING TRANSPORTED ABOARD ANY COMMON OR CONTRACT CARRIER FOR MOVEMENT WITH THE PASSENGER IN INTERSTATE OR FOREIGN COMMERCE MAY DELIVER SAID FIREARM OR AMMUNITION INTO THE CUSTODY OF THE PILOT, CAPTAIN, CONDUCTOR OR OPERATOR OF SUCH COMMON OR CONTRACT CARRIER FOR THE DURATION OF THE TRIP WITHOUT VIOLATING ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OF THIS CHAPTER. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

_ I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people. _

Too many firearms were getting ripped off when they had the special tag on the outside of the bag.

If you want to be sure it makes it with you, I wouldn't risk it.

My other hobby is boomerangs. Here is what happened to a competitor last year. Sure she knows better, and shouldn't have used such language in reference to the trooper, but still, irreplacable tools of her sport were at risk. And they are hardly threatening to look at, most of them three armed and less than a couple ounces.

"Wednesday, July 17, 2002

By NOREEN GILLESPIE

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ENFIELD, Conn. -- A world-class boomerang thrower from Washington state arrested after trying to take her boomerangs through a security checkpoint at Bradley International Airport received a special form of probation yesterday.

Betsylew Ross Miale-Gix, 43, of Brier will have a clean record if a three-month probationary period expires without further offenses.

"I can't afford to be right," said Miale-Gix, a civil lawyer. "This is a situation where it is more important for it to go away."

Miale-Gix was arrested at Bradley on June 30 after arguing with a security screener who told her that her boomerangs had to be checked.

She swore at a state trooper and was arrested on a breach-of-peace charge.

She apologized in court for arguing with the officer. "I was wrong to have said that one intemperate word, and I do regret that," she said.

The two-time member of the U.S. National Boomerang Team said that she has flown through many airports with the boomerangs, including

Seattle; Tucson, Ariz.; Dallas; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; and Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C. She had never been

challenged about the boomerangs before.

Miale-Gix said she and her teammates usually hand-carry their equipment. Testifying in court yesterday, she said her teammate had hand-carried his boomerangs onto a different flight earlier in the day."

What may be okay in your airport might not be on a connecting flight or return trip. It is at the total discretion of the screener.

Gary

"I'm not lost. I'm field checking."

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

What are you going to use it for - a vacation cache? icon_smile.gif

No.

I applaud you for asking, though.

-- _I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-) _

You're traveling to other parts of the country to plunder caches and return with the stolen ammo boxes??? How rude! icon_wink.gif

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

If she refused to fight it... "Just wanted it to go away"... got what she deserves.

Too many people aren't willing to stand up for what is right. The more we allow our rights to be trampled, the easier it will become.

BTW, email me (if I haven't already emailed you) or post info here on where in the Seattle area I might be able to see a boomerang competition, or even meet with some (what do you call youselves... 'ranggers?) of you folks to see this sport. My daughter has a cheap plastic toy she got with those tickets you can win at Chuck E Chesse's, and I'd love to take her to see them in action (I still have to take her to a park and try her boomerang).

So, is the ammo box just to contain travel bugs gathered on a cross country vacation? Flying to New York & Driving back to Los Angeles, a person could gather a lot of travel bugs (don't drink the water, eh?)

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

You're traveling to other parts of the country to plunder caches and return with the stolen ammo boxes??? How rude! icon_wink.gif

Yes, you've outed me! icon_biggrin.gif

Well, this thread certainly got much more attention that I thought it would. I think I am going to go with Crusso, Team360 and BruceS on the issue. They seem to have some first-hand info. I travel a bit myself, and I've been intimate with TSA. Actually, they were intimate with me (and my stuff), and they were always very polite. Plus, I travel with a towel, so all will be well in the end.

Why not mail it? Because now, I'm curious to see what will happen. It'll be ... errr ... fun!

[This message was edited by MissJenn on August 12, 2003 at 01:37 PM.]

"If she refused to fight it... "Just wanted it to go away"... got what she deserves.

Too many people aren't willing to stand up for what is right. The more we allow our rights to be trampled, the easier it will become."

The article isn't the whole story of course. I can let you know more details, but you would be better off hearing it from the lawyer herself. It is certainly more humorous, though still sad that it happened. Go to one of the regular Seattle throws and catch her there. I've sent you some contact info.

Gary

"I'm not lost. I'm field checking."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

I think she is taking her Ammo box with her to mate it with other ammo boxes around the country and create some little ammo cases... Don't you need a license to do that?? icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

I wouldnt worry about it. Put in your toiletries..Maybe some female items, and they wont question it. After all its just a container.

I was carrying a bag on a flight last week after being on a family vacation. Got through security, and at the hotel later realized I had a plastic bag full of 20 corn cob holders with the metal points in my carry on briefcase. No idea why they ended up there. But, I just through them out instead of trying to go through security a 2nd time..

But officer, I REALLY like corn.

quote:
Originally posted by objets:

Bring the can, let em have their little look and be on your way. By the way...anyone know what TSA stands for ? Thousands Standing Around. Oh and PS they dont like it when you ask them if thats what it stands for...just an FYI. Objets

Objets, gee I never heard that one before. I guess you felt safer when those minimum wage, high turnover rate, contract screeners were responsible for airport security? Oh wait, wasn't that right before 9/11?

Anyway, as the only one on this website actually qualified to answer missjenn (unless anyone else here is a TSA employee?) I'll give you some straight info.

All airports are now required to have 100% checked bags. That may include various methods of checking said bags. (I could tell you more but then I'd have to kill you!)

This being said, if as someone suggested, you place the ammo can inside your checked luggage & it goes thru an xray machine at one of those airports where bags are checked after you leave the area, your bag will have to be opened outside your presence. I suggested hand carrying it to avoid this. If hand carried in a carryon bag, again after xray, your bag will be opened, possibly delaying you.

If on the other hand you carry the ammo can in it's own little bag or by it's handle with camera equipment inside, you can hand it to the TSA rep & request a "hand check" because of the camera equipment. They will look in the can, usaully while you are proceeding thru the line & then hand you the can back after you go thru. This will head off the "must open the luggage with the metal object in it" search & get you thru the most expediant way possible. I suggested that you clean the can so there is no explosive residue on it even though there shouldn't be any. One of the possible tests they may do on the can may turn up residue if it ever held any explosives. Ammo only should not leave any residue.

As far as carrying firearms, 360 is correct. They can be carried in checked baggage as long as they are unloaded & the case they are in is locked & declared. Ammo can be carried the same way but must be in a seperate bag/box than the one the gun is in.

P.S. - 360 is correct. The less you lock, the better.

Success !

As was predicted by several people here, there was absolutely no problem with carrying an ammo can in my checked and unlocked luggage. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

The TSA officer did open up my luggage and she ran some sort of thing that looked like a moist towelette around the interior perimeter of the bag - not of the ammo can. She never felt the need to dig out and inspect the ammo can. It was all cool.

I did clean it with alcohol first, but I think that even if I had not done that, it would have been OK.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on August 24, 2003 at 09:02 AM.]