How's the geoquilt comming?

Guest HIltonfamily

Guest HIltonfamily

This post starts the new phase of the quilt.

Layout...receiving all the blocks..photo updates...piecing...layering...quilting...andsending it out.

To date I have received 143 blocks. I layed all of these out on a design wall...The wall will not accomodate all 400 but at least give you an idea of how it looks.

Again, I would like to have all the blocks back by Jan 15th......or at least try......

I'm hoping to have all in so that I can give this out by Feb. 15th.

Round about Feb 1, I will be looking for people to sign individual blocks in case I don't get enough.

Stay tuned icon_biggrin.gif

DxChallenged

Guest tedoca

BUMP!

To everyone who was involved in this project, Debb has put so much effort into this quilt we owe it to her to keep this topic current!

If you've still got some quilt squares floating around out there (like I do!) we need to get 'em all rounded up and sent back in ASAP!

This project generated lot's of excitement way back around the time of it's inception, but enthusiam has seemed to die off here of late.

Let's all see this through to it's completion and declare the 'Geocaching Quilt Project' a success we can all be proud of!

Thanks

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! I've been hearing from cachers involved in this project on a daily basis now...also received the entire Tolkien series today so it will be tough to deceide where to spend my time over the next couple of weeks... icon_biggrin.gif

Someone asked about the snow....we were one of the lucky ones who received around 80" of snow. Family and I were off in Syracuse caching the day it arrived. We came back at the tail end of the storm and it hasn't snowed much since. Right now with the balmy temps (31 degrees) the snow has compacted to around 3 1/2 feet. I'm thinking of pricing snow shoes so I can cache around here!! they are expecting more snow on Sunday.

About the quilting.......definately I will machine quilt it. Otherwise you wouldn't see it for a couple of years. Hand quilting isn't my thing. I "stitch in the ditch" and basically only cut the thread 5 times as you come up to the corners. This way of quilting reaslly seems to highlight the design of the quilt.

The pattern of this quilt is called "broken star". I think it looks the best scrappy; made out of many different pieces of fabric.

The size of the quilt will depend on how many blocks I get back. Right now I am near the 14x14 size, I have 150 blocks. I'de like to do a yellow border as that would go good with the blue material that I have for the back and binding.

Stay tuned and please e-mail me if you'de like a block or two to sign and be a part of this!

DxChallenged

Does anybody know how I can change my username to DxChallenged? I'm the only one in the family who posts so I'de like to change it if I can.

Guest HIltonfamily

Ok...so can you pick out where the error in the layout is? I took this picture before I discovered it.

I've added another 12 blocks since the picture was posted. I will send out picture updates periodically.......

DxChallenged

No caching in store for me this weekend on account of snow icon_frown.gif so quiltiing is a nice diversion!!

Guest tedoca

BLOCKQUOTE>quote:

Originally posted by HIltonfamily:

Ok...so can you pick out where the error in the layout is? I took this picture before I discovered it.B]

Hi Debb,

Yep, I saw the error... like two squares up and slightly to the left of center, right next to moun10bike's square. Guess that's why that layout wall you borrowed was so important?

oops....I've lost the return address for the squares. Sorry I'm taking so long getting them back, but they'll be on the way soon.

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Guest HIltonfamily

embi....I will e-mail my address to you.

Received 14 squares today

12 from G. Forsyth

1 from Terrance's cache

1 from Tomebug's cache

165 squares so far!!

I'm missing many from far away places (but then my small town is far from anywhere!!)

England

South Africa

Australia (my snail mail is on the way)

Stay tuned!!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! so the quilt is progressing nicely. I must say that I am very glad for this diversion. It snowed another 4-5 inches last night. So sewing seems a great pastime while I'm waiting to do more active Caching.

Yes you were right about the error in layout. I usually layout quilt on the floor and check the layout. This wall thing is great!!

I made a mini quilt for a travelor this weekend. I had made a batch of blocks early on and had put in triangles that were too big...In quilting much as anything, I have learned that there really aren't mistakes rather different ways to look at things.....So I took those, sized them to make 2" squares and did a 6x6 mini quilt. Then added a native american fabric to the back as the quilt was for Ttepee. Sent it out today........

Anyway looking for more blocks today and anxious to start sewing this quilt!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! 23 blocks came in the mail today...

9 from Marc Smith

11 from Cliffy (don't swet if one gets lost..I had one person loose the whole packet and I didn't swet that).

2 more from Moco Quilt cache

1 from Tomebug (these come in seperate envelopes and I received one last week as well.

Hey! I need a bigger design wall icon_biggrin.gif

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Mopar...Instead of transfere paper why not

Use a light box or a window on a sunny day.

Put your logo on the light box/window then masking tape the quilt square over it. Use permanent fabric markers (hey I know other nonstandard have ben used so I suppose that as long as it is permanent it would be ok) and trace over your logo. You can use different colored markers to color in your logo. I do this to make the signature blocks for the large pieces that I make.

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! another update........

I received 24 blocks today.

12 from Virginia in Sacramento CA

12 from M&J Brown in TX

So my question is...

How far past the dealine of 1/15 should I wait to start piecing the quilt together?

Right now I have 211 signed blocks.

I need 256 for the 16x16 layout.

I sent out just over 400 but at this point I don't think that i will get them all back.

Any feedback would be great......I don't want to leave out blocks that are signed but I also don't want to wait months for a few to dribble in.

Wow! Does it look great! The final owner of this quilt should enjoy many a night just reading the blocks and imagining all the far off, most interesting caching spots and cachers that came in contact with each square!!

icon_biggrin.gif

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey...Update....7 more today.

1 from Markwell> I love the latin next to the alien!!

7 from the artful dodger...don't swet unsigned blocks they will just go in the keep for future quilts!

So many blocks now that they are exploding outside the design wall....

I will try my best to keep the blocks where they are....But I have design critics here..They move the blocks around to what looks good to them. ...Or it could be the leprechauns that I have in my family room

eek.gif

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Errgh..

While in the processof plaqying Stars Wars on the computer..eversure son not only lost the game but somehow fried the computer. Fearless is off to his brother's with the processor to try to get it fixed. e-mails will be sporaedic

DxChallenged

Guest kburton

Hi,

Will be going out to my cache today and mailing off the quilt squares. I know I am cutting it pretty close but I am sure that if I get it out before noon today you should get it by the 15th since we do not live very far from you. Sorry to hear about your pc. Hope you get it back soon.

Take care,

Karin

Guest HIltonfamily

So it is way weird typing on the lap top. I just don't interface with it like I do with my now dismantaled computer.

Received another pack of blocks today..

Boy Scout Troop in Rochester..

Wow!! They drew some great aliens!!

Still have not received blocks from South Africa, England or Australia.....So I will extend the dealine.....

I am thinking of making the quilt rectangular rather than square......Never have done it other than square but I like the way it looks on the design wall.

Looks like I may get back around 75% of the blocks I shipped out...but think that this will be ok as I can put 2 borders on. I think yellow and dark sky blue. The fabric I bought for the back has planets, compass, rotational markers and satelights. All outlined in a yellow gold hence the yellow first border then the second border will match the back. I think this will be very apprapoe (sp?) ..don't you think?

DxChalleneged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey Mopar don't swet the block. I had a gold pen and just drew over the area where the ink had run....It looks fine if I do say so myself!

DxChallenged

[This message has been edited by HIltonfamily (edited 16 January 2002).]

Guest HIltonfamily

Latest update. Today I received 5 more blocks the one from Mopar and 4 from Chesapeak VA.

The problem now is that I have not received and blocks back from England, Australia and South Africa. So I am e-mailing and asking to have them sent back without worrying if not all the pack was signed. So my deadline will now be pushed back a few more weeks as it will take that long for the mail to deliver these.

I've decided to make the quilt rectangular. My design wall is that shape but it occured to me that it would be much more cozy for the recipient of the quilt. 2 can fit under a rectangle easier than a square icon_wink.gif

I am currently finishing up 2 other quilts...so today I turned on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and quilted....Life Is Good!!

DxChallenged

quote:

Hey Mopar don't swet the block. I had a gold pen and just drew over the area where the ink had run....It looks fine if I do say so myself!

Cool! Can't wait to see how "my" block looks! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest HIltonfamily

Update and more...

Today I received 2 more packet of blocks..

1 set from Lodi CA..Thanks Richard

1 set from La Place LA..with a travelor...

(Kathy Bourdreaux is just fine all be it a bit cold...Icy here today with the high in the 20s...I'm making him a nice snowsuite and perhaps mini signature quilt....I think that he developed a cold as well cause his nose is puffy and a bit drippy..Perhaps some of the Mississip is seeping out that leaked into the cache. At least when he leaves here he can take a bit of the Buffalo snow blast. I'll let him roll around in the snow with Foo the wonder dog. Currently 12" is left from our 80" snowfall.)

This now leaves 10 packets unaccounted for

These include:

Marti from Carmichael CA

Karin from Manassas VA

embi from Australia

Tom from Portland OR

family from Chesire England

Clayjar from Baton Rouge LA

Randy from Layton UT

Craig from Sault Ste. Marie MI

maxxer from Enfield CT

Anton from South Africa

If you already sent me blocks but are on this list please I'm sorry that I included you but please let me know and tell me what a signed block in your packet looks like. I will then look them up.

For those who have not returned your blocks

icon_smile.gif my new and final time for return is the end of January...Thursday the 31rst icon_smile.gif

Any blocks received after that time will have to go in a different project. icon_frown.gif

My processor is still at the shop so I can't send any photos but the quilt looks SO GREAT!!!!

I believe that I will miter the corners to keep the point theme going, in a way it reminds me of all those sticks, twigs, thorn, bushes and random stick pokers I discover while geocaching!!

Stay tuned!!

DxChallenged

I've just picked up the squares that were in my cache. Only one was signed plus the one I signed. I sent two out to other cachers and I'll send them a message to get them on the way. Mine will be in the mail today!

Sorry for the delay....

------------------

Guest kburton

---This now leaves 10 packets unaccounted for

These include:

Marti from Carmichael CA

Karin from Manassas VA

embi from Australia

Tom from Portland OR

family from Chesire England

Clayjar from Baton Rouge LA

Randy from Layton UT

Craig from Sault Ste. Marie MI

maxxer from Enfield CT

Anton from South Africa-----

Hi Deb,

You should have received mine, I mailed them out on the 14th. Maybe they will show up in todays mail.

Have a great weekend. It's snowing like a mad here today!

Karin

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey..another grey,cold and great day for quilting/sewing.

I received another block from Terrance's cache today. Very cute, with 2 paw prints and pictures of the print owners. To date there are over 10 squares signed by or for caching dogs....

Speaking of dogs....Kathy...I just put the finishing touches on Bourdreaux's Western NY winter proofing. I made him a mini signature quilt (24 1 1/2" blocks) with polar bears and snow mountains on the back. Then made him a hat, scarf and boots....Looks quite snuggly warm and I do believe. An ya know what, as he's laying on his blanky he is smiling!!

Karin, I found your blocks...I had placed right up near the top.

The layout now has 256 blocks and looks very impressive....boy is that a lot of signatures!!

For those left please don't worry if you haven't gotten all blocks signed. Just return what you have signed so that you can be a part of this great project!! And don't forget caching animals have just as much rights to signing blocks as their human counterparts.....

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! So sorry, long time no post...I just got back from NC. Butterfly girl and I went there to visit my mom who had major surgery.

I felt like I was cheating winter there. It just seemed like I was in the middle of spring to summer instead of the heart of the winter as it is here in Western New York.

I did a geocache with my sister in Willmington. She certainly is a newby rolleyes.gif because we did about 10 circles in the wrong direction until we headed out only to find that we were on the wrong side of the 4 lane highway...oh well it sure made the hunt memorable....

But I digress. I received the blocks from Randy in Utah while I was gone. I plan on piecing the quilt together on Saturday. I wish I had my processor back as I'de really like to post some pictures. I also thought that I would put unsigned blocks on two sides of the quilt. The idea of having the quilt visit caching events was tossed around so the unsigned blocks could collect signatures if that happens.

I also just finished reading The Hobbit and the entire Lord of the Rings. It was quite absorbing. I'm now planning some sort of a hobbit cache.

Mostly because of the climate, I miss caching around here. Just about all of the snow is melted but another 3" or so is on the way tonight and icy rain for the next few days...I envy the ability to cache that you in warmer climates have!

Anyway...glad to see that Gilbert is on the move...And I'm itching to get the quilt to it's final stage..........

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

So the piecing has started. Once we got electricity back (had a power outage for 3 hours due to an ice storm..but some here are still out and will be until tommorrow) I placed unsigned blocks to fill in the empty spaces around the perimiter and then started to sew the rows together.

The difference between a novice and higher level quilt is in the pressing...I do a lot of this. So as I press I read the blocks. This is a great thing to do this time of the years as it takes me away from all the cold, ice, flooding, power outages and inability to cache.

I have many blocks from CA...bet that it's some warmer there than in NY.

Almost 300 signed blocks...

Wait till you see it!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

So it's very cold here..snowy, blustery, grey and ever so warm in lovely in my sewing den....I've been merrily sewing away. I have all the blocks sewn into colums. By tonight I should the blocks all pieced together...Over 1,000 pieces in all. ít's going together great! I should be able to put the borders on tommorrow. Really think this will be awesome when completed!!

Does anybody have the address where I should send it?

It should be complete in a week or so...Didn't receive the blocks from Australia but if they come in time I can piece them and put them on the back....

icon_biggrin.gif Wait till you see icon_biggrin.gif

DxChallenged

Guest steveor

quote:

Does anybody have the address where I should send it?

I think you should place it up for auction and donate the proceeds to Jeremy's website.

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! I REALLY want to give this quilt to jeremy. A while ago there was a post for people to thank him and his fellow workers for putting this site/sport together. I have had a while to think about where the quilt should go. I believe that the best place is to jeremy. He seems to have put in many hours and much thought into this site/sport. I want to reflect appreciation for this with the quilt. I also thought that once given out the quilt could visit other caching events with the owner. I have left a number of unsigned blocks around the edges of the blocks section (2 borders will go beyond where the blocks are)and will send a few of the fabric markers along with the quilt.

If I make any future signature geocaching quilts those could go up for auction with proceeds to go to the website.Or if individuals wanted there own quilt perhaps a way to send money back to the site could be set up..but this quilt took quite a bit of time to plan, send out the squares, e-mail people to get them back, send out more and then the sewing, cutting borders, quilting, binding and sending out are still left. With this all in mind I want the quilt to serve as a big tangible thank you not a money maker as I didn't have money in mind while I was/am making it...

I think of the quilt as reflecting the sport. It contains over 300 signatures of geocachers. Additionally, I plan on having my largest border be the color of sunshine (a nice hand dyed fabric I had in my stash) then the inside border and the binding are of night blue with stars...This reminds me of the planning stages of geocaching as well as night caching. The material for the back has the path of the moon and stars as well as a compass all on night blue with gold/yellow markings.

If the quilt is sent out to jeremy and he decides to auction it so be it. I honestly hope that he won't..I haven't been working on the quilt with money in mind rather as I wrote earlier..as a tangible thank you

DxChallenged

quote:

Didn't receive the blocks from Australia

Sorry about our pieces. My fiancee Bec recently got very ill. We have since found out its cancer. I haven't had time to do a lot as she has needed to be cared for. Two days ago we thought she only had a month to live, now things a getting better but we still have a long way to go. She starts chemo tomorrow and hopefully that helps. It sucks when she is only 25, NEVER smoked, drunk, doesnt even drink tea or coffee and she gets this. Its a rare type of cancer and they dont know a lot about it.

Once again I apologise.

Mark (and Bec)

------------------

Guest HIltonfamily

embi...I'm so sorry to hear about bec. I'll remember you both in my prayes. My mom had uterine cancer last year..It's been a long road with many twists for her but her attitude is great...She never smoked ect. But let me tell you she stays on top of the Docs....

I don't know if you remember the quilt that I was going to send out to Mrs. Bush...posted a picture on the quilting bee/cache? Well I never did and it needs a home so after I attach a quilt label it will be comming your way...it could be a suprise for Bec to brighten her day....

Don't worry about your blocks...there are always other quilts...I usually work on 3 at a time...

As far as pictures...my main computer needed a new mother board. Fortunately this was covered by the warrenty and should be back any day. Then I can post pictures.

DxChallenged

icon_smile.gif ) so we're not giving up.

Once again thankyou for your support. Geocachers are a breed above.

Mark and Bec

(p.s. Hiltonfamily, Bec would be thrilled I'm sure to recieve the quilt. Thank you.)

------------------

[This message has been edited by embi (edited 05 February 2002).]

Guest HIltonfamily

Soooo The top to the goequilt is now pieced and the back is all set. Tonight I will start pinning the layers together. Wish there were more who lived close as we could have a pinning party. My defunct quilt group used to do this. YOu masking tape down the back, lay on the batting and then smooth the quilt top over it. Then you use big safety pins and pin through each block to keep it together.....

Foo the wonder dog always likes to walk over the quilt while I'm doing this. She has a thing about quilts....

I'm hoping that my main computer arrives back today so I can post pictures...the Hilton clan all ave the thumbs up to the borders...Now I just need to decide the pattern that I will quilt with.....

Stay tuned!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

I received a fedex letter yesterday...6 signed blocks inside...fortunately I had not based the quilt together so I ripped out 6 blocks and replaced them with the signed ones.

Just sent photos to Ttepee to post...2 for now...front and back. Then I'll send out a picture of the top with the borders tonight.

Give us a week or two for the quilt to arrive embi....not the geoquilt...as I have had an offer from another cacher to pay for shipping and to enclose an additional item...

Praying for sunshine for you and bec today...

DxChallenged