Why do you do it?

Dan Vull

After spending more time than I'd like to admit reading posts by other cachers complaining that the stuff in a cache is not up to snuff I have to ask why? Why do you do it? Is it the possibility of something cool that fits in a small box? Is it simply the hunt? Does it hit a that adventure bone just right? What brought you here and why do you stay?

It is a personal challenge to me. A cache hunt can be a test of my wits, strength, stamina, skills, and patience; all topped with a heaping scoop of fun (usually icon_biggrin.gif ). Throw in some beautiful nature and whoa, we're having a blast!

Seems like you get to know more about yourself and those you cache with while out there. To me that is part of the enjoyment, or disappointment, too, as the case may be.

First off I'd like to say that I believe only a tiny fraction of caching population post on the boards so the actual number of moaners and groaners as a whole are probly less than 5%. The other 95$ of the cachers are out having fun hunting down the cache. When we cache it's never to find 'cool' trade items. I could care less what's in the container. For the most part we do trade at every cache but the item from the previous cahce just gets recycled to another cache sooner or later. We do it for fun.

It gives me a reason to get my lazy butt outside for some exercise, I spend more time with my kids who love the hunt just as much as I do, each cache is like puzzle that needs to be solved, it has taken me places I probably would have never gone to or known about, and I have meet many interesting, like-minded, people.

Other than that it's a complete waste of time.

I do it to take nice things out of caches and leave junk that nobody wants. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, its because I love every aspect of the game. From the use of technology to getting a little workout every now and then. Also because it's fun to get together with friends and look for little boxes in the woods.

SquireOfGothos:

If you haven't already, try logging out then back in and see if your avatar appears then.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by sean808080:

icon_biggrin.gif

i do it to find out about all the neat parks and naturewalks in the area. i'm constantly amazed at how many gems there are hidden away.

i usually take nothing and leave nothing...except for my appreciation!

:-)

w e b l o g : http://www.xanga.com/sean808080

h o m e p a g e : http://www.pobox.com/~shh

h o u s e m u s i c: http://sean808080.iuma.com

Funny you mentioned this. I never knew there was so many parks right under my nose here in the Lehigh Valley. That's a great reason to cache.

It really has to do with the excuse to get some exercise and fresh air. A big plus is finding interesting and out-of-the-way places that we would never have visited otherwise.

The contents of the cache container (other than the log book) is really of no consequence. We leave the signature card and coin and rarely take anything.

To quite another famous geocacher, "Watson, the game is afoot!"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I do it because it feels so good when I stop.

You know, I am not so sure about that. I find that when I stop and the blood starts flowing again.... oh never mind.... you're right.

--------------------------------------------------

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

I do it because a year ago a friend got me to visit the eDiets site long enough to cough up my email address. Ever since then I get weekly emails from them saying, "The reason you're FAT is because you spend all your time sitting on your LAZY BUTT.", etc, etc. Every time I get one I get out and visit an N/3 cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

It's all about shovels. icon_wink.gif What other reason is there?

RK, I believe he was talking about caching and not about posting on the forums! icon_biggrin.gif

John

It's hard to remember that your primary objective is to drain the swamp, when you're up to your a$$ in alligators.