The Geoquilt has been presented to Jeremy!

Today, the fabulous geoquilt created by Debb Hilton (alias "DxChallenged") was officially presented to Jeremy!

The initial plan had been to present the quilt to him at The Search. However, when that event was posponed for two months, we scrambled to find a way to present it without giving away the surprise up front.

The solution we came up with was to have one of our local cachers, Seth!, invite Jeremy to lunch under the guise of celebrating Seth!'s recent 100th cache find. Once Jeremy arrived, several others of us from the local geocaching community descended and made the presentation!

Here are some photos from the event:

Bringing out the quilt

The presentation 1

The presentation 2

The presentation 3

Jeremy

For those of you who haven't seen the quilt in person, it is an incredible work of art! Jeremy was absolutely thrilled at being the recipient, and immediately started talking about getting a shadow box to display it in his office!

Congratulations to Debb and thanks to Jeremy from all of us who so enjoy the work you've done for geocaching!

24_700.gif

All right!! This was fun!! I feel like I've been promoted from intermediate to incorperated quilter.......I've incorperated quilting into caching!

Every step of this project was fun!

Just one final comment displaying the quilt....if it is displayed under glass moisture could accumulate and ruin it.

Your best bet is to go to a quilt store and ask how they would recommend displaying it!

Jeremy, I was glad to help out with this "thank you" for all you have done and continue to do for geocaching.

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Dx... you've definitely incorporated geoquilting... and I have to admit I was initially dubious as to whether it could be done... but your determination did it lady! Same kinda determination that it takes Jeremy to plunge headlong into the unknown. Very fitting award to our trendsetting leader! Moun10bike... he didn't get any grease on the quilt did he? icon_mad.gif ... hehehe

Dx... you've definitely incorporated geoquilting... and I have to admit I was initially dubious as to whether it could be done... but your determination did it lady! Same kinda determination that it takes Jeremy to plunge headlong into the unknown. Very fitting award to our trendsetting leader! Moun10bike... he didn't get any grease on the quilt did he? icon_mad.gif ... hehehe

As you can see by the photo I wasn't exactly, uh, ready for a presentation. That burrito must've made me show up bad in photos.

Debb, fantastic amazing incredible accomplishment! As much as the note with the quilt said it was meant to be used, I'll be hanging it in the Groundspeak office with the card. Every time I look at it I see a new name and a whole heck of a lot of folks I see on the site and in the forums (and, hopefully, at events in the future as I've met folks in the past).

I was just amazed at how something so impersonal like a monitor and keyboard can get folks in the outdoors and play a game together when you may never see each other. It's sort of a tangible representation of this great community.

I'll also try and bring it along at events I attend. If folks are nice and sign their life away, I'll also be happy to lend it out to folks around the country who want to show it at their local event.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

Congratulations to Debb and everyone involved. The quilt looks fantastic and represents well the effort by everyone in making it come together.

Regarding displaying the quilt...

My mother has been quilting for decades and when posed with the same question, advised us not to display them under glass for reasons mentioned above. For our quilts, we have finished wooden slats attached to the wall. Along the slats are handmade "clothespins" in which the quilts are hung. This allows the quilts to be easily removed (for cleaning) or rearranged, etc, as well as allowing admirers the ability to touch/feel it, which a glass case would prohibit. Regardless of how you display it, keep it out of direct sunlight to prevent fading.

As long as the quilt isn't stored away folded, and cleaned periodically, moths shoudln't be a problem and the quilt will last a very long time.

5505_600.gif

It appears Debb has done a fine job making that quilt and everyone had a good time at the party. Just one question to Moun10Bike, how did you bypass the 100kb limitation to post these pictures? The sizes of the posted pics are as follows: Geoquilt1 was 113KB, GQ3 was 106kb, GQ4 was 119kb and GQ5 was 111kb. I've been an advocate of raising the 100kb limtation to 120kb and have started a thread on it. I asked Jeremy about raising it to 120kb but still have had no response from him. Just curious, how did you get these files uploaded

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

Just one question to Moun10Bike, how did you bypass the 100kb limitation to post these pictures?

He didn't. Look at the address the picture links point to. They're not on the Geocaching.com website, they're on his personal webspace and he just made a clickable link to direct you to them. If you've got web hosted pics you could do that too!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Quite a classy place to make the presentation! icon_wink.gif

Yes, we're a classy squad up here in the Northwest! icon_smile.gif

Actually, the location reflects the fact that we were trying to surprise Jeremy. In order to make sure that Jeremy could make it (since he's very busy), Seth! had Jeremy call all of the shots for their supposed "quiet little lunch" -- time, day and location. The important thing was that Jeremy showed up! icon_smile.gif

24_700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Quite a classy place to make the presentation! icon_wink.gif

Yes, we're a classy squad up here in the Northwest! icon_smile.gif

Actually, the location reflects the fact that we were trying to surprise Jeremy. In order to make sure that Jeremy could make it (since he's very busy), Seth! had Jeremy call all of the shots for their supposed "quiet little lunch" -- time, day and location. The important thing was that Jeremy showed up! icon_smile.gif

24_700.gif

You can find Quilt hangers at a few local fabric stores. There is a bracket that is mounted to the wall and then a removable piece that holds the quilt that you attach to the wall bracket.

Direct sunlight is a killer, not only will it fade the colors but over time it will actually make the fabric fall apart.

**Side note** Taco del Mar is a classy dining establishment up here in the Northwest. icon_wink.gif

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

You can find Quilt hangers at a few local fabric stores. There is a bracket that is mounted to the wall and then a removable piece that holds the quilt that you attach to the wall bracket.

Direct sunlight is a killer, not only will it fade the colors but over time it will actually make the fabric fall apart.

**Side note** Taco del Mar is a classy dining establishment up here in the Northwest. icon_wink.gif

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Great job Moun10Bike and Seth! with your surprise presentation. Very cool!

Let the GA Geocachers Assn get in line for a presentation at one of our event caches. I have been asking about it in the ClayJar chat room from time to time, and now I see that it was on a mission!!!

Thanks Jeremy for constantly improving such a cool hobby/sport. Geocaching is awesome fun and allows people to be very creative.

3512_200.jpg

That is an absolutely beautiful quilt!

Thanks Deb and Seth! for getting it to Jeremy. Although we are new to this site, it has been extremely helpful in getting us started in this wonderful world of GeoCaching.

It's nice to see how kind and giving the people around here are. That took a lot of work and came out so wonderfully.

Good work guys icon_smile.gif

Holly Selden

That is an absolutely beautiful quilt!

Thanks Deb and Seth! for getting it to Jeremy. Although we are new to this site, it has been extremely helpful in getting us started in this wonderful world of GeoCaching.

It's nice to see how kind and giving the people around here are. That took a lot of work and came out so wonderfully.

Good work guys icon_smile.gif

Holly Selden

DX great job! What more can a girl say, ya did it and with style. Jeremy is the man, and a deserving recipient. I have no idea what I would do if geocaching was taken away from me. Jeremy what have you done to us?

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!