where did you hear about geocaching?

Guest lionel3

Guest lionel3

forgot to add, I saw the spot on CNN-very excied to get started. Geocaching has been around for awhile it seems, so I'm wondering how people first heard about it etc.

thanks!

lionel3

Guest fiser

I have a subscription to Outside magazine and read the article about Geocaching in the Jan 2001 issue. I put a photocopy of the article in the caches I hide.

[This message has been edited by fiser (edited 03-01-2001).]

Guest RyckZ

A friend emailed me the article posted on the GeoCaching site from the LA Times, as she is good friends and I am an aquantaince of the Hirzel's in the article. Now that he is back home, it does not look like he has not yet found any of the GeoCaches around Toledo, Ohio.

I saw it start on the newsgroup: sci.geo.satellite-nav on May 3 2000. Then is was called GPS Stash. I thought is was the coolest thing you could do with a GPS. I waited with baited breath for someone to post one within driving distance of my house. Then Mike Teague made a website and then Jeremy made a newer website and away it went.

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 03-01-2001).]

Guest Seamus

Link of the day at userfriendly.org

Came here, read about it, got excited, bought a GPS unit, and am going on my first hunt this weekend.

-- Seamus

Guest rcwagner

I first saw it on the CNN web site. I bought my GPS receiver a week later. Waiting anxiously for the weather to cooperate so I can take my wife and sons on our first treasure hunt. The stashes in my local area are multiplying pretty rapidly and should keep us busy.

Guest Krepism

I also saw it in on CNN while I was at lunch one day. I have always had a GPS for fishing and thought what a great reason for my wife to let me buy a new one!!!

Guest bob_renner

I can't remember which I saw first - geocaching or The Degree Confluence Project. I saw one on sci.geo.satellite-nav and then saw a link to the other. That was last summer and at that time there werren't any caches in AZ. I'm a leader in a scout troop and we decided to combine the two and plant a cache at a confluence (GC7B). It's a great way to help teach navigation to the scouts. We give them a map marked with the destination, and they use their compass to get near the site. The GPS is used to zero in on the exact spot (and to provide some helpful course corrections along the way).

Bob Renner

Saw it on the bbc Sci/Tech news site yesterday: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/2000/dot_life/newsid_1194000/119 4431.stm

They include a link to www.geocache.com and that was that.

A quick browse through the sites in Holland showed a cache ~200m from where I sit while I work (Kenny in the Dunes - GC1C2). All I have to do is find the battery compartment lid of my GPS (its been in the car adapter for the last few weeks) and trek out at lunch to find it... icon_smile.gif

Bugger, just realised the area is off-limits from 1-Mar to 1-Aug. icon_frown.gif So close and yet so far. Guess I'll just have to wait.

[This message has been edited by Psyd (edited 03-06-2001).]

Guest nekosoft

I was shopping for Springboards for my Handspring Visor and wanted a GPS after getting hopelessly lost in strange cites. Considering I really don't do much traveling, I had to figure out how to justify it and came across Geocaching.

--

nekosoft

Guest bcbpbob

A guy and his daughter were out hunting lizards, and found a stash by accident. he came to work the following monday with geocaching web site. logged on and was hooked. Went out that week bought a gps, and found my 1st stash that weekend

Guest dogstar

i saw an article in the local la times.

its right up my alley, since i love hiking and adventure. plus i get to learn how to navigate? i went out and bought the summitt.

a new toy.whoo whoo.

dog

Guest JasonW

I heard about it via the BBC News website and it was what pushed me "over the edge" into buying a GPS - that and having an urge to buy a new toy :-)

Playing with my new Mag 315 - and all the ancilliary gubbins (the PC data cable already here, the mount bracket & case on their way). Looking forward to getting out and 'caching as soon as weather & this damned Foot & Mouth allows :-(

Guest Muzikman

Well...this is my first post..so hello! I heard about Geocaching from the PA state coordinator of the North Country Trail ( http://northcountrytrail.org/index.htm ). Although I have had my GPS (eTrex Summit) since it came out. I never knew of this interesting game. I'm pretty hooked and plan on finding my first cache in the next few weeks. If all goes well, I might find more than one that day.

Guest Quinnow

Actually I didn't see it on CNN, I was in the other room working and didn't get to the tube in time. But I did hear the whole story. From there I did a search on the computer and that was that.Geocaching.com is a great site and was designed very well with tons to offer. though uh-hummm, I can't get anyone from geocaching to respond to my e-mails. But none the less, we should all be greatful for the work put into this site.

Guest colink

Found Geocache while searching for info on GPS's with Google. This looks to be a lot of fun. I'm going to hide my first cache this weekend while fishing for trout.

Guest Markwell

Oooooo - how about marking a great fishing spot?!? Take the boat onto the water with your GPS, mark a great location and then log the elevation as -25 feet.

Guest proxien

I heard about GeoCaching while listening to my local public radio station while getting ready for work 3 days ago. I am not sure if it was actually featured in the NPR show 'Morning Edition' or if it was part of one of the affiliate inserts between national segments.

I didn't even hear the whole story, just the words GeoCaching, treasure hunt, and GPS. At first I thought it was geo-catching which led to some funny web searches, but in the end I amde it to the right place.

I read some of these forums got hooked. I just bought a Magellan MAP 330M last night, it is excellent and I can't wait for this weekend when I can find my first cache.

------------------

proxien

Guest snowtrail

Heard about geocaching twice on NPR. Once on an editorial a few months ago, and then again on All Things Considered. Thought there was something to it if I was memorized both times. Went to the website, and being an avid outdoor enthusiast, bought my first GPS. I had it delivered today. I have been scouting a local cache that I might find later today...

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by snowtrail:

Heard about geocaching twice on NPR. Once on an editorial a few months ago, and then again on All Things Considered.

I believe I was on All Things Considered, but no one told me it was on. Any idea where I could find a recording of it? Doing a search on NPR.org comes up empty.

Jeremy

Guest proxien

I am pretty sure it was Morning Edition... I catch that almost every day when I am on diaper patrol and I distinctly remember asking my wife at dinner that night if she remembered the story from 'this morning': which she did.

I searched npr.org and could not find any listing for the story either. You might try emailing them.

Guest DaveP

I read about geocaching in the Atlanta Journal (I live in Florida). I went out and bought a GPS the following week. It gave me an excuse to use on my wife on why I needed one (not just because I wanted a new toy).

Guest JoeyBob

My buddy had been trying to get me to buy a GPS for about 2 years. Saw the link on the local tv station website (www.wral-tv.com), and checked out the site. Bought an Etrex the next day, found my first cache the following day. If the rain ever stops, will try for #3 and 4 this weekend. I have 2 spots in mind for caches of my own, watch the updates....

Guest Snowtrail

I treid searching for an hour on NPR with no luck. But it's not the first time I've had trouble with their search engine. If it was closer to when I heard the program, I could have gone through each day and seen if I could find the program.

But as it was, I was driving in my car, without a pen and had to memorize the address. A long time afterwards, I remembered being interested in geocaching, so did a small search in the web. Now I'm here...

Guest CaptHawke

I bought my GPS in January for a Florida canoe trip I was planning. When the manual that came with it didn't answer all my questions, I starting a web search (I think I was using Yahoo) for GPS info and found my way here. Immediately decided I'd plant a cache, GC413, while on my trip.

Guest Quinnow

I checked out that site, it seems pretty cool but won't do me any good at all...I'm married and wife doesn't allow me to even look at money let alone touch it. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mabster:

I found out about this site through my other Internet passion - http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ - there are a few other Georgers out there who mentioned Geocaching, and I came over here out of curiousity to see what all the fuss was all about! Can't wait to get my own GPS and try it myself.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com