Hunting Season and Caching

Gusco

Well hunting season is abound here in Pa. Me not being a hunter it kinda puts a damper on deep woods caching for awhile. Wouldnt want to be out there caching and get shot. Geuss i could throw on some Orange though. Anyone ever have any problems out there during this time of year?

[This message was edited by Gusco on October 25, 2002 at 06:26 AM.]

Well, its bow season here in NY......Then shotgun for a month, then back to bow and muzzleloader season after that....

I figure I'll wear blaze orange, and go for easy caches or ones that are not really deep in the woods thru bow/muzzloaders seasons.

Once shotgun season opens, though.....I'm staying in the house!! icon_biggrin.gif

My reasoning is: how many bowhunting/muzzleloading accidents have you ever heard about?

Also, I know many hunters, and bowhunters/muzzloader hunters all seem to be much smarter, more experienced, and more careful than the regular run of the mill city-folk shotgun hunters....

When bowhunting, its more critical that you get the deer in the correct spot for a clean kill, so bowhunters have to make sure they SEE and have a clear shot at the deer, rather than just blasting away at a noise in the brush....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I would not go out in any kind of long range weapon season or scatter (shotgun) season. The statements above about bowhunting are true (the slightest twig will deflect your shot, so shot placement is a must).

I think if you go, you run the risk of pissing off hunters more than you do of getting shot accidentally. As a fellow hunter, I would prefer you not go out during any season, but hunters do not own the forest. I would consider it common courtesy to just try and remain quiet (no shouting or purposely thrashing a lot of bushes).

You have to remember that there are some idiots out there that think they own the area they want to hunt. I've heard stories of shots fired near another hunter that was walking in "someone elses area". I even heard a story of a guy getting shot in the hip with an arrow (not sure if it was a ricochete of a near miss or what, just that the shooter took off).

Bottom line is that even hunters themselves risk being shot. Just be careful. Hope I didn't scare you, most hunters (around here, at least) are very friendly, outdoorsy people.

Cache Ya Later

I am also a hunter. You should be fine as long as you wear a orange jacket or vest that covers your upper body and a orange hat. Hunter orange...not just any orange. Hunter orange is like a neon color and stiks out well. Don't wear white or brown! Avoid wearing dark colors all together if you want to be safe. I myself would never take a shot unless 100% sure but their are some extremely slow people out there that will shoot anything that moves so be careful.

Yeah brown and white would defintly be a bad combo. I have a hunter orange vest a can wear. but i think i will just wait it out a little and let them hunt uninterupted. I'll stick to non hunting area caches i geuss. im headed towards pittsburgh this saturday. i can find some down there i geuss.

on our last cache hunt. Bryno was telling me about the idiot from the city who pulls into the bar bragging about the nine hundred pound deer he shot and when the folks went out to the truck to look at it, there were the state police and the farmer who owned the cow they guy shot. At least know what you're looking for! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Last weekend I found four caches in a state park here in PA that's also open to hunters. I'm a former animal hunter, now a cache hunter, so I just wore my orange hat and vest. I also kept to the dirt roads and trails except when finding the caches. Your biggest risk is when bushwacking in the woods.

I came across a number of hunters that day, and all of them were quite friendly, perhaps because they saw my orange hat with the logo of a sporting goods store and a deer on it. If you like to say hello to people and strike up a conversation with them, remember during hunting season not to shout a friendly "hello" from 100 feet away. Speak in a quiet voice when you're ten feet away.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Another thinng to keep in mind is time of day.....I try to go between noon and three PM.....

I leave the mornings and late afternoons to the hunters, as these are the best times of day for them to bag something.....Most hunters will take a break for lunch about this time, or if they only go for a half-day, its usually early or late.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I am happy to go caching during hunting season - with my blaze orange vest proudly displayed! I find most hunters to be sensible folks, just like most cachers are. They generally look at what they are shooting before they pull the trigger. "Hey, look! A blaze orange deer with a GPS!", cries Bubba. That is not how it works.

I have been shot at in the past without blaze orange on - not caching, but just wandering in the woods. Wear your orange and don't worry too much.

Juanbob icon_eek.gif

I know its been brought up before but great topic.

I was out in the woods today and worried about getting shot. I had orange on and a yellow pack but still was concerned.

I don't understand why Hunting is allowed in County and state parks. Seems like they are asking for trouble between the hikers and the hunters.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Let me follow up by saying that I'm all for hunting and do it myself although not deer but maybe one day. The thing is that I just don't like the idea of allowing hunting in parks.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
...you are more likely to get injured on the job than being involved in a hunting accident.

Well, lets see, how many people work? How many people are in a situation to be injured in a hunting accident? Yep, I bet this statement is most likely correct. icon_rolleyes.gif

Can't speak for other parts of the country but around here, it's not terribly safe to be poking around in the woods during hunting season. I will agree that 90% or better hunters are sensible, know-what-you're-shooting-at type people. It's the other 10% that scares me.

It's bad enough that our kids are not allowed free run of our own property during firearms season. You might think us paranoid but we've had enough problems in the past that this is necessary.

In case you think we're just anti-hunter, I will point out that both my husband and I hunt. We have a couple of really good neighbors that we get together with prior to firearm season to discuss tree stand locations to avoid crowding each other or firing towards others. We also have one neighbor that feels that all land within a couple of miles of his place is open for hunting for him and all his buddies. These are the ones that require a close rein on the kids. This is private property mind you. Geocaching in a public hunting area?! No thank you. While the vast majority of hunters are probably safe to be around, you just never know. We'll stick to non-hunting areas for the next couple of months.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

In southern NY you can cache in Bear Mountain and Harriman PArks without worry as hunting is prohibited. Are there other parks in your neighborhood where there's no hunting but caches aplenty?

Alan

This is half the problem with this whole subject. One can not assume just because hunting is prohibited in an area that no one is in there hunting. And while I have little doubt that the probability of a hunter being in a prohibited area is a lot summer than elsewhere, one should not make these assumptions. The same hunter that is stupid enough to shoot at something he can not make a full identification of is more likely the same hunter that's stupid enough to hunt in a prohibited area either because he is not aware of the boundaries or he is aware, but chooses to take his chances there because the animals are less afraid of humans, making the hunt easier.

A few years back, we had an incident where a hunter had shot a deer between a Wal-Mart and I-95. If I had to guess the distance between, I'd say 2/10 of a mile. All flat land, and despite some trees between them, they are in full sight of each other. These type of stories come up now and then, and we all know the percentage that get away with it far outnumber the percentage that get caught.

I'm not one to worry about going out during hunting season. Hunting season is generally open for some animal year round here, though obviously deer season is the most popular. So if I'm in an open city park, I might wear normal clothing, but if I went to any of the forest type parks this time of year, I'd definately wear some orange.

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately, it kills all its students!

Last year around Thanksgiving we were scoping out a marked public nature/forestry trail for possible cache location. It is on a 16 acre piece of forested land along a US highway owned by the state Forestry Association. As we exited the trail, a truck parked behind ours and 2 guys popped out and pulled out their shotguns. They asked us if we'd seen any deer. We left the area quickly.

I have also seen a ton of spent shotgun shells on the ground on Army Corps of Engineers land/trails specifically marked &quotNo Firearms&quot. The person who reminds that a no hunting area is still not guaranteed safe is right on.

I would suggest that anyone caching in an area that may provide animal/hunting cover wear hunter orange during hunting seasons. Don't forget that your backpack may cover a significant area of your safety color, so plan to mark it as well. Consider asking park managers if hunters might be in the area as you enter.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Wal-Mart has blaze orange beanies (knit-caps for those from Florida and California) for 98 cents. They also have nice ones for $3.96 that are very warm. If you're going out into the woods, at least wear something like this.

I'm going hunting this week in a remote area of Colorado (of course, that's 85% of the state...).

I've already checked for caches around where I'll be hunting. That way, I can avoid that area while I hunt elk and come back later to hunt the cache.

"In still-hunting, swear yourself black in the face never to shoot at a dim, moving object in the woods for a deer, unless you have seen that it is a deer. In these days there are quite as many hunters as deer in the woods; and it is a heavy, wearisome job to pack a dead or wounded man ten or twelve miles out to a clearing, let alone that it spoils all the pleasure of the hunt, and is apt to raise hard feelings among his relations."

~~Nessmuk, "Woodcraft"~~