Quilting bee/cache

Guest HIltonfamily

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! I started this topic under the travel bug but with the help of others, realized that it was better here. I'm attempting to combine my 2 favorite pastimes,,, So I have been toying with the idea of putting signature blocks in a cache and having finders sign them. Eventually when enough blocks are signed (128 minimum to 256 max which would be all the blocks in a 50" x 50" quilt)I would some how retrieve them. Do the quilting and then give the quilt to a person who is intrumental in the sport...founder, site moderator ect.....Anyway Glenn95630 suggested that I find signature shurpas who could take packets of 10 blocks and put them in their caches....also some could be mailed out of the country.....Any ideas of how to get this going? Right now I have about 35 blocks ready to be signed and could make 200 or so in a week. I also took pictures of the blocks and what a finished quilt would look like. Just not sure how to add them here. Know how to do it on to my cache page (An Akron Walk). Blocks are on the easy side of what I like to make. Perhaps I could recruite other sewers...Am I the only quilter cacher? Thanks for the help!!

DxChallenged

Sounds like a good ideal to me. I live in northen MI. in the spring i will be putting out more caches, But not any time soon with winter about here. But would like to add some of the blocks in my caches.

Guest HIltonfamily

So do you think spring would be a good time to start sending out quilt squares? Do I need to get approval to do this? If so from whom? I have been waiting for over a month for approval from a county park to place a cache. Did a 10 page written presentation...Hope this quilt thing is easier......Posted a picture of the signature quilt I finished on "An Akron Walk". Took a picture with digital camera of a few blocks. How can I post them here?

DxChallenged

Well in Sault Ste. Marie not much geocaching going on. I would not think my cache will have anymore finds untill spring. Will have to ask jeremy,or Mike_Teague, about approval.

I'd be happy to help out in NY. Whenever you have them ready just send them on out...I'm hoping we'll be able to cache some in the winter still. My caches don't get a whole lot of hits but I'm trying to spread the word around here. I could spread them out in a few caches too.

What a neat idea! I bet that what ever Geocacher ends up to be the receiver of that quilt will love it. I suggest that you intermingle the geocache logo into it with the sigs if that's possible.

I would be more than happy to place a block in my cache here on the CT/MA border, but I've only planted one so far and working on a second. So can't help you out with a whole lot of them. Not been at this too long. But I could ask other local cachers in the area for permission to place them in there's as well.

If I was quilter, I'd help ya out. I'm sure there must be some on here.

Good luck!

Kathy

I would be proud to carry some of your blocks in my Utah caches. They can be signed and returned, or we can make some of them travelers with one of your caches as the final destination. I do think it is a better project for next spring though. I don't expect a bunch of activity during the winter months. But I could be wrong.

geosign.gif

Mrs. Jeo here, FINALLY a link between my 2 favorite hobbies also, quilting and caching! Would love to host some of your squares in our CA. caches, we might keep going straight thru the winter here, if the rains dont wash them all away. We dont have any winter caching experience yet! I like the traveler idea, with the final destination and instructions attached to the square(s). - Cinde

Guest HIltonfamily

Wow!! It's great to see all the responses. You people that are in NY could still get blocks. I have only the one cache hidden and the more blocks out there the better(plan on more but am waiting on approval first from the county parks commissioner). I got approval for the quilt yesterday! Wow was the quilt project approval fast!! Does anybody know how I can post a picture on this forum? I took a picture of individual blocks but didn't post that on my cache as I already have 4 pictures there.........So glad there is a fellow quilter/cacher out there!!! How should I get addresses of people to send the blocks to. Do you want to e-mail me? I like the idea of the final destination to be my cache......or it could be from a fellow NY cacher (great way for me to discover even more caches)......My zipcode is 14001 so it could be put into the system to find close caches......This will be great as I am starting to make more quilts than I have family members for. I enjoy giving them away. Fearless leader wants me to sell them but I'm not interested. I make more at work than I ever could at quilting (I'm a Licensed Speech Pathologist). Anyway, as sports go, geocacheing is inexpensive and this is a way for me to give back just a little from what I've gotten from caching.....DxChallenged

Guest glenn95630

Very impressive responses! I'll butt in here again.

If you are interested in being a signature sherpa, send an email to HIltonfamily. You can do this by clicking on the icon with the @ symbol on her posts. Email her your snail mail address.

I would suggest sending out a packet to everyone who responds. I'd like to think that you will get a 100% response rate but I'm sure it will be less than that.

If you want out of USA signatures, put a post in that specific Region Forum. Also, you should probably send them a smaller number of squares. Also, a travel bug from South Africa would be impressive, but the probability of sucess would be greater if you asked them to just mail the signed squares back.

I have no idea how to post pictures here, but if you email them to Markwell, I sure he could do it. Or someone else will volunteer and you can email the pictures to them.

Guest HIltonfamily

Ok!! So I will start sewing the blocks tonight. Basically you start with a 3" muslin square and sew 2" assorted fabric squares to opposite corners. After the seams are trimmed to 1/4" you iron freezer paper on the back to make signing easier.

I give this information in case anyone wants to make them.

As far as adding logos....This works fine as long as the design fits into the white(muslin area) roughly 1 1/2" by 3" rectangle. I use fabric markers such as pigma pens or sharpies to write on the material. This way the quilt can actually be used. I put everything in the washer and dryer before it leaves here. The logos can be drawn into the rectangle with colored pigma pens or transfered with transfer paper from photo to computer to printer on to tranfer paper... just has to fit into the rectangle area....

I will post a picture of the squares on my cache site....That way if anyone wants to copy them they can and it's the easiest way for me to figure how to get them viewed.

DxChallenged

BTW...when you hit reply to post to the left of the text entry box you will see *UBB Code is ON Click on that and you will find the instructions for using UBB Code to do different stuff in the forums.

Your quilt project looks like it will be really neat when it's done!

One idea I might present is that after it is given to your person of choice, maybe it could travel around to the many regional geocacher gatherings that occur across the country. I am sure there would be an interest for cachers to see it personally.

Gathering information on where each piece was signed and posting some type of map afterward would be neat too!

Guest HIltonfamily

Thanks Tteepee for posting the pictures. I have received one address already...From South Africa. Wow! I have made a signature quilt 3 times already. One for a retirement party. 1 for a 50th wedding anniversary and 1 for a 60th wedding anniversary. This one will have the best and most interesting signatures!!!!

Can't wait to get started. I made up a folder and will print out all the addresses I receive and mail out the packets as I finish the blocks....Do you think more than 10 for out of the country? Or strictly 10 per packet? Also thinking that I will include a fabric marker with each. Will this create a problem mailing out of the country? Do I put it in an envelope or box?

Any sites in Ireland? I went there a few years ago and love that country!!

Discusssed the quilt project at the dinner table and all Hilton's are enthused!!

I'm assuming that my e-mail address is obtainable so people can e-mail me their addresses........?? DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey....So I have received a few e-mails and I am now working on the squares.....Cut 200 muslin squares tonight.......

What should the duties of a signature sherpa be?

I thought that I would

1. Put 10 squares in a baggy with a fabric pen and instructions...

2. Mail a packet to each person who sends me their e-mail address

3. Send more than 10 squares if this is requested.

I thought the signature sherpa could

1. Place the baggy with squares in their cache

2. Check on baggy and once all squares are signed either mail to me or send via cache to my cache...Seem ok? DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! Gophers from UK I would love to have you help. Please e-mail me an address to send the quilt squares to and I will send out a packet of 10 and a fabric pen to sign them with........

This is going GREAT!!!! So far I have 13 addresses...From NY, OH, CA, CT, MI, WA, UT, LA, Canada and South Africa!!!! Wow!!!

I cut over 200 muslin squares and need 500 small colored fabric sqaures then I can start sewing....

I think that in the packet of blocks will Ihave

1. 10 squares unless you want more

2. Fabric marker

3. Instructions

I would say maybe a few more for out of country.... but then somewhere like South Africa it may take longer to get say 20 signatures... I guess leaving it up to the individual sherpas would be the way to go..it probably would depend on how far they can spread them too. 10 squares should be good for my area if I don't get some more people around here joining in.

Guest T-storm

I'd be happy to place blocks in a cache in North Texas (Dallas / Fort Worth)! I think it's a neat idea! I have a quilt top that I have worked on off an on for so many years I can't tell you. It's completely handsewn (no machine work) and is in the pattern of a quilt one of my great-grandmothers made. She used a Diamond Field pattern... a sort of elongated Flower Garden pattern. Some year I'll finish the top and move on to quilting for a decade or so! icon_wink.gif

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest anjlkat

quote:
I make more at work than I ever could at quilting (I'm a Licensed Speech Pathologist). Anyway, as sports go, geocacheing is inexpensive and this is a way for me to give back just a little from what I've gotten from caching.....DxChallenged[/b]

I'm a speech path also..in Louisiana! I don't quilt however...the only type of needlework I do is cross stitch. My husband and I hunt in La and Miss coast area, so if you want any down here, I'll be glad to help. We've just gotten into the sport..I've hidden one and am working on a second one right now. Kathy

Guest HIltonfamily

Really I am relatively new to both quilting and geocaching........

Joined a quilt group last year and made 26-28 quilts. I complete all sewing on a machine (my Grandma's 50 year old singer) and give everything away. The joy is in the making and the satisfaction from the face of the person I give it to....

Started geocaching in September. Found 28 caches and this with 3 children, 2 with disabilities.

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Just read my e-mail. (My parents are staying with us from NC and I can't sleep).

Debra had a suggestion. The finshished quilt could be auctioned off to raise funds for this site.....

How does this sound?

Right now I have 18 addresses. So with my set of signed blocks only need 7 more addresses to complete enough for one quilt

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

-----

When all blocks are signed please mail then back to me. My snail mail address is at the top of this letter. If you want you can give the blocks to someone who is heading out to Akron New York and have them placed in my cache; "An Akron Walk". Love to have you visit and thanks again for you willingness to participate in this project!!

Is this clear enough? Do I need to post a new topic now under quilt project?

21 addresses now ....COOL.........

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey Glen!! Thanks for posting the quilt idea on the regional out of country posts...

I have all the little squares cut...Bought 6 yeards of muslin today....and have sewn almost 80 blocks....

Nasty and rainy today so good day to sew....

Will start sending blocks in country next week......Should I make a cut off for when they should be returned as I can't sew the top together until I have all the blocks......

21 addresses now!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Status of quilt project......

I sewed yesterday and placed a new cache so didn't post anything on this ...

I have a total of 24 places to send out quilt packets icon_biggrin.gif

If 10 blocks are sent at one time they have to be sent in padded mailers (as per US mail)...found I can get these at Walmart for .50

Places for me to send include...South Africa, England, Canada (AB and Ottawa)

NY, CA(4),CT, MI, WA, UT, LA(2), OH(2), NJ, TX, AL and OR

This is so great icon_smile.gif

????? Would any of you be willing to buy your own fabric marker ????

They cost around $2 so times 24 is almost $50 for me I ahve so far tried to send markers I have but my stash is going down fast...........You can buy them anywhere. They have to say waterproof, be fine point and for fabric.........

Please let me know before I send out the packets....Hopefully at the beginning of next week.

Dx Challenged

Guest HIltonfamily

BTW.....This is starting to become a family project.....

Last night I completed 160 blocks. Butterfly girl helped iron over 100 pieces of freezer paper to the back (you do this so the fabric can easily be signed...and because it is only freezer paper the paper pulls off before I sew them together).

Butterfly literally ironed until it was time to sit down and go to bed icon_biggrin.gif

Other great news is I get a break from work and sewing today. My folks are up and they will have the crew for the day. Fearless leader and I are going GCaching all day!!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey........I mailed all the packets of squares out on Monday.......

So far I have heard from 6 (out of 23) people who received them.......

I have noticed different ways that people are using to get the blocks signed....

1. a "Quilting Bee Cache" temporary cache just to get signatures.

2. Taking the squares to a geocaching picnic.

3. Having the group that you geocache with sign.

4. Placing each square in it's own stamped envelope with my address so I receive them as soon as they are signed.

The post office told me that I had to mail the pack of 12 sqares in padded mailers and I wrote on each mailer exactly what is inside. With all the mail stuff going on I want to be careful. If you want you can try to reuse the padded mailers when you send them back. If not they only cost .50 at Walmart. Also price to mail these was quite reasonable, around $.55 in the states and $2 to South Africa.

Please continue to e-mail me when you get your squares...or if anyone else wants squares.........

Right now I am working on another quilt...Don't imagine that I can finish this signature quilt until December (I will need to get all the blocks or at least 256 unit I can begin piecing them)......But then it would make a great present for a geocacher.......Still don't know who will/should receive the finished product. To either raffle it for proceeds to go to running this site or to Jeremy who runs the site.........Or what the majority of participants want to do with it.....

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

I sent out two more packets of blocks today. So the total sent out now stands at 26....15 states and 4 countries (newest is Germany).

I have exhausted all the blocks I made. I Dont need anymore volunteers for placing blocks in caches...

If more people are interested then we can think of having them participate in latter, in case I don't receive enough back or to start a different quilt ..........

Thanks for participating!

So far 9 people have told me that they have received their blocks..

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Wow!! this project just keeps me smiling!!

Due to the response, it now looks like the quilt will be bigger. The configuration will be 18 blocks by 18 blocks. So that now a total of 324 blocks need to be signed.

I have of recent, gotten 2 more requests for blocks.

I sent a packet off to Australia this morning and will have to sew more blocks this afternoon for the second packet. All 300+ that I started off with have been sent in the mail and over 15 people have notified me that they were delivered. So now the quilt squares will be placed in over 15 states (some signature sherpas are placing them in more than 1 state)and 5 contries (2 placements in Cananda, 1 in South Africa (still haven't heard if this one wasdelivered), 1 in England, 1 in Germany and 1 in Australia. I received a total of 28 addresses.

The ways people are getting these signed are...

1. Geocacher breakfast for an area where geocaching is down.

2. Temporary cache...one place got all blocks signed in record time and leaving fellow cachers asking for more....

3. Monthly geocaching meeting.

4. Hand delivery to fellow cachers.

5. Placement in already established cache...

So far signatures that I have heard of include...signature with city and state, tiny verse, picture, stamp (not sure how stamps will wash and I really like to see quilts used...the batting I use makes them very light and yet warm...so I think some I may trace lightly with a fabric brush pen and then iron so the stamp won't wash off) and taking a tiny photo running onto fabric transfere paper and ironing it onto the block....Please remember the area you have to sign is only the white section which is about 1 1/2 inches by 3inches.........also be sure were you live is on the block.

Anyway......This is a great project....Thanks again for your help in bringing it to the end point!

DxChallenged

Guest stayfloopy

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

I was hoping you Jerseyites would be heading to my new cache to get your signatures in there. Oh well...I'll get you guys up this way some day icon_smile.gif

Well, this Jerseyite went there and did that yesterday before you posted this message. Heheh. I think I signed in at around 3pm. Very nice location.

Guest HIltonfamily

Whoa!!!!!!!!I am AMAZED by the Cinci. group. I read all the logged visits to the cache. Still trying to get people in the Buffalo NY area interested so I am truely amazed by the large number of logged visits in less than 48 hours.

For those driven cachers....You could sign a block in Akron NY home to the cache quilt.

I have blocks in both the "Akron Walk" cache and the "Eversure's C&S Cache". The first is a very easy cache and the second is a bit of a challange with a truely memorable walk in my favorite park.

I am thinking of putting a designator (tiny bead or something) on the squares signed here.

BTW... icon_biggrin.gif I am the only one sewing these blocks...over 300 now icon_biggrin.gif

Yes most definately...Sjs wins the award for first signed....waiting now for first returned.

Will be sewing after I get back from the Chamber of Commerce meeting...I am on the board. Really Akron would be a GREAT place to visit and sign a square!!

DxChallenged