Natural Hazzard: Wild Parsnip

topham

I admit this might be in the wrong place, but, I just caught this on the news and was utterly blown away.

Aside from Poison ivy, and Poison Oak there is another plant risk out there: Wild Parsnip. The sap from the plant when combined with sunlight can cause significant burns. From a mild sunburn like burn to more server complete with significant blistering.

See this link for an excelent write up Burned by Wild Parsnip

I saw this on the news because here in Manitoba the weed has sprouted and caused some burns on some kids playing with or near the plants.

In our area (Western Mass.) they are warning us about Hogweed (often mistaken for Cow Parsnip). It looks like a HUGE Queen Anne's Lace plant. As noted in the article above it can cause severe burns and blistering. If you touch your eyes with it on your hand it can cause blindness. It makes poison ivy look like a walk in the park!

They are asking our help in wiping out this plant. If we see one we have been asked to call the University of Mass. and they will send someone to investigate.

I keep looking, but I haven't seen any, yet.

This stuff can be nasty...while hiking in the Trinity Alps in Northern CA last year, 2 friends came in over a pass (cross country) different from the rest of us..the next day these blisters showed up on their feet, they covered the tops of each foot and by the time we left I had used up almost my whole first aid kit getting them home. We left by the same pass and I was next to get the blisters...I suspect it was pollen or small leaves that fell into the boots....we all still have scars from it 2 years later.

My doctor said he hadn't seen anything like it in Northern CA before. Don't know if it was the same thing, but after researching it I found the same web page and attributed it to that. We have hiked all over those mountains for years and this one cross country pass is the only place that this has happened.....I'm going to contact the Forest Service tomorrow and ask them about it. It's nasty!

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....