Destroyed cache? What to do..

Guest Haribante

Guest Haribante

Went in search of a cache today and found it no problem, however the cache itself was destroyed.. It seems that an animal had smashed the tupperware container it was in and tossed the contents around.

We werent too sure what to do in this situation so we grabbed the cache and contents and the platic bags it was wrapped in (now destroyed) and brought them home. Our plan is to notify the owner and dry the log book out, take pictures of it all (including log book pages) and either re-stash it in the same location, give the contents to the owner or put it somewhere nearby. If it isnt re-stashed we will post the contents and log book pages on a web site.

This is a good example of when to be careful too.. we think it may have been the mint floss someone left but there was a mention of beef and beer in one of the log entries, we couldnt figure out what they were trying to say..

whats the right thing to do here?

Well just my thoughts here..

...The cache and its contents it seems were tossed around! Does this then make the cache "appear" to be trash. It was probably a good idea to take it. "Cache in...trash out".

...On the other hand if the cache was able to be put together, even though damaged, I would have probably put it together and left it there, emailed the owner, and let them decide what to do.

icon_smile.gif

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Well,

The VERY FIRST THING you should do is make a log entry to let others know the cache is no longer there... especially with the weekend coming up! You wouldn't want anyone out there searching for a cache that was sitting on your kitchen table.

After that it's up to you but, if it were me, I'd just replace the container and put the cache back, then make an other log entry to let folks know the cache was replaced.

I agree. I've had one cache ransacked twice by racoons. Once for a pez dispenser & the second time for we don't know what. (It's now in an ammo can). As the cache owner it wouldn't have upset me to have the first person to find it remove it all, as long as they either replaced it, or notified me right away so I could get it back. The first time we found it when doing regular maintenance, the second time because a cacher logged it. (though he did leave it all incased in 1 large ziploc bag).

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by sjs102:

I agree. I've had one cache ransacked twice by racoons. Once for a pez dispenser & the second time for we don't know what. (It's now in an ammo can). .

An ammo can has got to be the perfect cache container. It's rugged, not easy for a critter to open, watertight, just the right size and has a handle that folds flat.

I think the only animal that MIGHT get it open is a bear.

You can leave it green, making it a little camouflaged in the woods, or you can paint it.

You can run a chain through the handle and lock it to a tree.

Even if a critter does bat the thing around, they're dang near indestructable.

You COULD even argue that they're more "friendly to the environment".

Of course it will take a few decades for an ammo can to rust away but I bet that Tupperware container will still look like new long after the ammo can is gone.

Following the example of others here, I have lined mine with red felt and stenciled "GEOCACHE" on the sides and lid.

Now all I have to do is find a good place to stash it! After all the time I spent getting it right I don't want some bum or park ranger to steal it.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

How timely...

A couple of weeks ago someone posted that they had found my cache but the tupperware top was removed and chewed up pretty good. The critter tore into the ziplocks and everything was thoroughly soaked. I returned later that week and replaced the container with an ammo can I was preparing for a new cache.

Well, today I had a post that another animal (this time, the two-legged variety) had found the cache and whatever was not taken had been broken. Plus there was a pleasant little note in the log book. mad.gif

So anyway, I've archived the geocache and hopefully I'll re-stash it tomorrow.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5989

Russell