Climbing tree stand

SE7EN

Would that be considered special equipment?

Thinking about putting a cache 30' to 40' up a pine or sweetgum tree. A climbing tree stand, climbing spikes, 40' ladder, or boom truck would about the only to get to it unless you really want to skinny up the tree.

Woud this be too tough?

I never needed special equipment to climb trees when I was a kid. Now I would require a squad of paramedics on standby.

We've got a tree climber locally, but it was not made clear that climbing was required. The logs made that clear as time went on. Some people liked it. Some didn't. Some just decided not to investigate. I don't see any reason not to do it. Nowhere does it say a cache has to be obtainable by anyone going after it. But, I would rate the difficulty at least a four as knowing many of the cachers in the area would not attempt tree climbing.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I'd rather climb a tree the natural way than use equipment for two reasons: Said equipment may hurt the tree; equipment (if left out there a while) could become loose or faulty and send me falling out. I'd rather fall out of my own accord.

But I do like the tree-climb cache idea. None around here to try yet ........

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

I'd rather climb a tree the natural way than use equipment for two reasons: Said equipment may hurt the tree; equipment (if left out there a while) could become loose or faulty and send me falling out. I'd rather fall out of my own accord.

But I do like the tree-climb cache idea. None around here to try yet ........

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

I'm in complete agreement tree climbing should be done naturally theres nothing quite like it I think ropes would detract from the pleasure. the bark underhand the careful placement of feet and hands the view and when you are done the dismount.

I've been climbing trees since I was a kid and if I see a good climbing tree up I go

More to see, More to do

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cacher:

You're an idiot. Save the silicon and internet space and go away...

(using teak decks on a boat as we speak)

CCC, who you talking to? There's nine other posters here? Or is your post really just meant to be ignored, cause I can do that.

quote:
Originally posted by Poindexter:

Sounds cool to me but just make sure to let people know beforehand that treeclimbing skills are required and please do not recommend climbing spikes. They can be very harmful to trees and should only be used in tree removal operations. Iv'e been a treeclimber for quite a while and this has become a very popular activity. See http://www.treeclimbing.com for starters.

Poindexter

I just checked out the Tree Climbers International web site. Wow. It looks very cool! I wish there was a chapter around here that I could tie into.

banner-small.gif