Des palourdes mortes - Coming soon to a cache near you (but hopefully not yours)

briansnat

In the NE Forum were were discussing lame caches and ways finders can tell other geocachers that the cache was lameo in their logs, without hurting the feelings of the cache owner.

In short, I suggested that we use the code words "The dead clam dances at midnight" in our logs to indicate a lousy cache. Perfect Tommy instead offered "The long sobs of the violins of autumn wound my heart with a monotonous languor"

I thought that was a tad much, so I offered this compromise:

quote:

"The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight".

To his credit, Perfect Tommy caved in like an old mine, but thought we should change it to French:

quote:

"Les longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent à minuit"

Great Idea!...or so I thought until Stayfloopy weighed in with this:

quote:
I can't type all that, especially when I'm logging away from home at an Internet terminal. How about I shorten it to DPM for 'des palourdes mortes'?

Well that gained a level of acceptance, so we've been using DPM term for almost 3 days.

But what if the cache owner visits these forums? icon_redface.gif

Don't let your cache be DPM'ed - Brian Snat (1958 - )

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 14, 2003 at 02:41 AM.]

quote:
How will be your response if the cache owner questions the acronym DPM?

Well tell him to go DPM himself.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 13, 2003 at 03:04 PM.]

Well, when I was using an internet language translator the word 'lame' translates in Spanish to 'hoja de metal' which translates back to 'metal leaf'. whodathunkit.

I was also trying to find some way of saying that you fell asleep after finding the cache and if questioned you could say that you are narcoleptic, but metal leaf ain't bad either.

i like it in english, but french is good for me too. when at ballgames, i like to shout "le poisson de ma mere est heureux do vous voir!" at the top of my lungs, which causes people on my side to ask what it means. which causes me to translate it in a stage whisper. which causes them to laugh. which causes the other team to think it isn't very flattering.

they only get angry and frustrated when they learn what it means.

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader

Heh heh - I just recently DPM'd a cache. There is one player who seems to just drop their caches in places - not like a tree - just in some bushes on the border of someone's house in suburbia. Floopy did it after me - yet I was surprised he didn't DPM it.

So many caches, why am I on the forums?

quote:
Originally posted by Squealy:

suburbia. Floopy did it after me - yet I was surprised he didn't DPM it.

Didn't I? Actually, I think I "Pass"ed on that one. It was already night and my going in there may be considered suspicious. Then again, I don't know the neighborhood. It could be perfectly acceptable behavior in that town to be wandering around in patches of woods between houses in the dark.

I haven't met too many caches I'd DPM yet, but maybe I'm still too new to this. After a couple hundred of these things I might get more cynical.

I like the idea, just as long none of my caches get the dreaded DPM icon_eek.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

just call me "Big BM"... uh, I mean "DPM" yeah..

Some of my caches are gonna literally be lame-o (wheelchair accessible). If ya DPM one of those you might get yer toes run over. (hee hee)

Thou Shalt Not DPM A 1/1 Cache.

"You'll curse when the need comes. Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long, and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right." -Granny Weatherwax

quote:
Originally posted by Lesbaru:

Some of my caches are gonna literally be lame-o (wheelchair accessible). If ya DPM one of those you might get yer toes run over. (hee hee)

You are a crack up icon_biggrin.gif.

Clarification, though: easy terrain does not dictate a DPM. Things like these would dictate a DPM: original contents did not even include a pen; container is horribly inadequate; last cache maintenance was in May 1968....

-- I am looking for cache recommendations for Salem, Mass. Got any?

quote:
Things like these would dictate a DPM: original contents did not even include a pen; container is horribly inadequate; last cache maintenance was in May 1968....

...cache is in a rodent chewed Chinese food container, or Gladware container with a cracked lid, hidden under a rotting plywood board in a small, garbage strewn patch of woods between an auto body shop and a decrepit, abandoned ice cream stand.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Cache is in the back of a pick-up truck that includes shackles and forces you to bend over to pick it up - said pick-up truck is located at an alternative lifestyles reststop. The only reststop for 50 miles in any direction.

Though I have never had any real problems at these types of places it is still creepy being hand, woops!, I mean eye-cand for these guys.

So many caches, why am I on the forums?

Well now, there are lame caches out there, but the quality of the opinion behind that proclamation also matters. If a supreme court judge pronounces my cache lame then I'd be inclined to believe him and fix the problem. If it was intended as a lame cache it would be taken as a compliment and considered a job well done.

However not just anybody is worthy to have an opinion of cache lameness that can be taken seriously. So we need forum opinion ratings. There are people that everyone listens too. These forum E.F Huttons would rate a 10 multiplier on the "Lame cache" opinion and others who only rate a 1. Most would be in the middle.

I'll start by saying that anyone who thinks they are doing the world a service by saying "This cache sucks" in Code word French instead of saying "The rodents have ate holes in the container the pencil is out of lead, and the log book is soaked and the cache was in plain sight and will soon be plundered" should rate the 1. icon_wink.gifbad_boy_a.gif

Now where is that winky frog icon?

Ok Flask what does :

le poisson de ma mere est heureux do vous voir

Mean?

I am very horrible in french but looking at it I would say something about, the flower of the horse is horrid of you.

but then agn I am not french why should I speak it. I live in America, And don't plan on visiting France.

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

Ok Flask what does :

Mean?

My mother's fish is bigger than yours? Is this something dirty?

We parked at a Mexican restaurant once that had a sign that, I suppose, was about them not being responsible for what happens to your car, etc. My son asked me what it said, and the best I could figure out was:

"We are not responsible if giant robots set fire to your vehicle".

Then again, I don't read Spanish any better than I don't read French.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Well now, there _are_ lame caches out there, but the quality of the opinion behind that proclamation also matters. If a supreme court judge pronounces my cache lame then I'd be inclined to believe him and fix the problem. If it was intended as a lame cache it would be taken as a compliment and considered a job well done.

If a 9th Circuit judge judged my cache lame, I'd consider it to be a terrific cache.

(Left coast political humor)

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

If a 9th Circuit judge judged my cache lame, I'd consider it to be a terrific cache.

(Left coast political humor)

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Unless the 9th circuit ordered a recall vote first to decide whether it should be called lame icon_rolleyes.gif

No! Wait a minute, they don't like recalls; or was it just the punchcards they didn't like?

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:

My translator returned "the fish of my mere is happy do to see you"

In English we would say "The fish in my pond are happy to see you"

So...Tell us just what it is you whisper to the other fans? I am as curious as the next guy!

Kar

I found my 1st major lame-o cache, very difficult and had no meaning, none of the hints had anything to do anything, nothing at the end. There wasn't anything that tied anything to together. I can't believe that I put 5 days into it.

Whenever we emailed the owner, he reluctantly helped. I guess that is part of the game too, but geeze!!! Its the one we did on 10-xx-03, incase anyone in michigan doesn't want to do this. To us the hunt wasn't worth all the work.

[This message was edited by opie744 on October 07, 2003 at 12:07 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by opie744:

I found my 1st major lame-o cache, very difficult and had no meaning, none of the hints had anything to do anything, nothing at the end. There wasn't anything that tied anything to together. I can't believe that I put 5 days into it.

I can't believe you put 5 days into a lame cache either ... at what point did it become clear that it was lame, and what factors caused you to continue?

We had problems from the very beginning. Once the husband decides he is going to complete something the rest of us are just along for the ride. I knew after the 2nd leg that this wasn't for me and there are 5 or 6 legs. Coord were off, we needed waders to find one leg, in a bog.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

In the http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7316058331&m=83060928&p=1 were were discussing lame caches and ways finders can tell other geocachers that the cache was lameo in their logs, without hurting the feelings of the cache owner.

Use a cache rating system. Like a cache owner wouldn't catch on when they start seeing that come up...

Check here for more info: cache rating system

Silent Bob

MnGCA-Button.gif

Cache is in the back of a pick-up truck that includes shackles and forces you to bend over to pick it up - said pick-up truck is located at an alternative lifestyles reststop. The only reststop for 50 miles in any direction.<BR><BR>Though I have never had any real problems at these types of places it is still creepy being hand, woops!, I mean eye-cand for these guys.<BR><BR>So many caches, why am I on the forums?

:rolleyes: Fell out of my chair, laughing, after reading this one!

Personally, I stay away from them Parkway drive-by caches.

-GeoKender

Names changed to protect the guilty:

Driving around with xxxx, we followed the GPS arrow and came in the back way.

Parked in the lot nearby, only about 100ft from the cache.

Might wanna double check rating, 1 star terrain should be wheelchair accessible.

Didn't find the cache at first, just garbage all over the area.

Pxxxx found the cache first after using the hint.

Might want to do a CITO here, this was one of the crappiest areas I've seen since caching in xxx.

Didn't plan on trading, but the one coin had a heart on it, so I grabbed that and left a state quarter.

Pxxxx found a quarter on way back to the car, so she came out ahead, LOL!

Moving on to find xxx's xxx cache next.

Ok Flask what does :<BR><BR>le poisson de ma mere est heureux do vous voir<BR><BR>Mean?<BR><BR>I am very horrible in french but looking at it I would say something about, the flower of the horse is horrid of you.<BR><BR>but then agn I am not french why should I speak it. I live in America, And don't plan on visiting France.<BR><BR>GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

I don't know French, but this is what AltaVista says it is:

the fish of my mother is happy to see you

I don't know what it directly translates too, but I can imagine!!

I'm a noob - who hasn't placed a cache yet, but I think I'd probably prefer more of a description of the faults of a cache (no pencil, cache has become nest for angry geese/africanized honey bees/fire ants, etc) than just a DPM. Okay, maybe a description with the DPM. Just my .02.

I hated French in high school and I hate beating around the bush- say what you mean PLEASE! LOL!

If you don't like my cache, write "I think this cache is lame".

(I will decide if I care or not! LOL! If I get a whole bunch of such entries, maybe you're right.)

If there is a specific problem, write what it is.

If I see lines about mournful singing clams in French in my log, I'm just gonna think some communication-challenged cacher found it.

PS: Just 'cause a cache is "not your thing" doesn't mean it's lame. It's just not your preference, right?