Safety

Guest jona

Just a thought...

I just found out about geocaching and thought it would be great fun for my family. My very next thought is one of safety. It seems like only a matter of time before some nut figures that he'll get his jollies by booby-trapping one of the cache boxes and ends up blowing somebody's hand off or killing them alltogether.

It is a shame, but the thought of this happening to me or my kids is enough to stop me from taking part.

I just read in the paper that someone in the Portland area has been putting small bombs inside of tennis balls. I'm sure the risk is small, but big enough to keep me away.

This has come up before. I usually suggest using clear tupperware containers for cache hunts, so you can see the contents inside. You don't even have to open the container if you don't want to - Just visiting the area where the cache is located is 90% of the fun anyway.

Nothing in life is 100% safe. Anyone can rig a mailbox to explode, or mine a playground. I can't say it would never happen in geocaching, but there are certainly easier ways to be malicious icon_frown.gif.

Jeremy

This has come up before. I usually suggest using clear tupperware containers for cache hunts, so you can see the contents inside. You don't even have to open the container if you don't want to - Just visiting the area where the cache is located is 90% of the fun anyway.

Nothing in life is 100% safe. Anyone can rig a mailbox to explode, or mine a playground. I can't say it would never happen in geocaching, but there are certainly easier ways to be malicious icon_frown.gif.

Jeremy

Guest cache_ninja

ditto on the clear tupperware type stuff, if you are really worried about something of this sort happening, only open a cache that you can see inside of. if you want to know beforehand, just create an acct. on the server and send an e-mail to the person who owns a cache you are about to visit. ask them what is in it and if its see-through. most cache owners are pretty friendly, i'm sure there is some way they can reassure you.

c/n

but then again, someone visiting the cache, other than the owner could put something in it he/she doesn't know about...

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 02-01-2001).]

Guest bad_karma

I wouldn't be too worried about tennis ball bombs. Typically they are designed so they will go off when they recieve a very large concussion. One would have to through the ball at a tree or something.... Plus, bobby traping a closed container requires great skill and know how. Not any Joe Bomber on the street can design and implement a bobby trap such as this. But, again, the best way to combat this is with transparent containers.

Guest Ultralight

you could also be hit by a bus tomorrow! the risk is to small for me to even contemplate, i would rather live my life and enjoy it, risks included!

if i am going to stop and worry about risks such as this, life would be pretty boring! some risks have to be considered, eg, Parachuting out of a plane etc (which by the way is absolutly Awesome) I belive the risk of someone boobytrapping a cache is extremely small. but then again you are americans! sorry icon_smile.gif

(meant as a joke)

Guest Ultralight

you could also be hit by a bus tomorrow! the risk is to small for me to even contemplate, i would rather live my life and enjoy it, risks included!

if i am going to stop and worry about risks such as this, life would be pretty boring! some risks have to be considered, eg, Parachuting out of a plane etc (which by the way is absolutly Awesome) I belive the risk of someone boobytrapping a cache is extremely small. but then again you are americans! sorry icon_smile.gif

(meant as a joke)

Thats got to be true. If the cache is in the sticks, the environment is your biggest worry, not some nut job who whats to be famous. Why blow up 1 or 2 people out in the woods when you can take out a bus or something and get the lead story at 5PM?

-scott

Guest Mike_Teague

I am amazed how people will fear a problem that doesn't exist..

It's becoming a big problem with society in general it seems.. We are becoming afraid of our own fricking shadows, afraid to take any tiny (even percieved) risks... Everything safe and secure, bland and unexciting..

If you truly think that a boobytrapped geocache is a legitimate concern, then by all means, stay home.. I dont see how you'd be able to accept the risk of driving to it in a car..

Guest Team Griswold

I'm in general agreement with the crowd here... It never crossed my mind to think of something so scary as a booby trap. I think the original poster watches too much network news. The odds are beyond remote. In the desert of Tucson the main safety concern is cactus (ouch!) and not bringing water. Those are the safety issues to worry about in Geocaching. Common sense should rule!

Guest Hookedtrout

As the saying goes, better to be doing something you love when you go than to go doing something you don't.

As for me I'm going to drown being drug upstream by a 5 lb rainbow hooked on my 2wt Winston with a size 20 BWO fly icon_smile.gif

Hooked Trout

Guest Hookedtrout

As the saying goes, better to be doing something you love when you go than to go doing something you don't.

As for me I'm going to drown being drug upstream by a 5 lb rainbow hooked on my 2wt Winston with a size 20 BWO fly icon_smile.gif

Hooked Trout

Guest MaasNeotek

I am not really concerned about finding a booby trapped cache. I am however more concerned about a cache looking like one to a passerby! What is that rectangular tin doing just off a path in a well travelled park? Could it be a b-o-m-b? We better call the police, and have them blow it up just to be safe.

I don't think it's a likely scenario, but perhaps we should be talking about identifying marks/markings - and perhaps letting our local police forces know about the sport, in a letter or public note?

Just a thought

((Clink Clink, hey, that's a whole 2 cents!))

------------------

http://www.building42.com/geocaching[/url]

Building42 is at 55°32'182" N 113°29'49" W

Clearly mark the URL of geocaching.com on the container. If it looks suspicious they can go to the web site and see what it's all about.

Most people would take the time to read the side and go to the web site before making a frantic phone call. At least I'd hope so :0

On the side, I still wouldn't hide a cache too close to an airport or government facility!

Jeremy

Guest Steve D

For a while I've been slightly concerned about things like cache vandals and/or thiefs, etc, and now the topic of booby traps comes up - all I can say is that hopefully most "idiots" who want to stuff around like this aren't going to go to the effort and expense of buying a GPS and hunting a cache to then just piss others off - but then who can say?

I think also the less "airplay" we give these topics the less likely we are to give someone ideas - I just hope no "morons" read THIS!

Guest passing-by

It's quite unlikely.

Not only, but reading the fears of our buddie's, could give ideas to deranged minds that would not otherwise get the idea in the first place.

By fearing and paying attention to this

class of criminal, society increase their

number ?

Hey, did you remeber to lock the mailbox ?

anybody could put a tennis ball in it...

And Did you notice the postman looked strange this morning...

How about making a prank geocache with

a fake booby trap ?

The kind of that would make the finder certain he got a bomb/virus/spider/hanibal/snake/extremely-super-very-evil-imagined-stuff'because'I'm'lazy'to'balance'my'mind/malicious trap,

but just got a normal cache in reality.

- Boris.

quote:
Originally posted by passing-by:

a fake booby trap ?

The kind of that would make the finder certain he got a bomb/virus/spider/hanibal/snake/extremely-super-very-evil-imagined-stuff'because'I'm'lazy'to'balance'my'mind/malicious trap,

- Boris.

Wha? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by passing-by:

a fake booby trap ?

- Boris.

Wha? icon_wink.gif

Guest Lasivian

I've been placing mine in Pint-sized empty paint cans, durable enough to handle the elements, and i've got 30 of them lying around.

If someone comes along and wants to stick something nasty inside it, let's think of the possibilities:

Bomb - I think he's going to find placing this in his own container FAR easier than placing it in mine somehow.

Needle/Sharp object - Well, you can see in the can after you pry the lid off, and you can always dump it out into soemthing (true, clear is best, but i'm short on $$ myself)

Nasty insect (scorpion) - Well, inside a sealed can it's not going to be alive long after that air runs out.. heh

My roommate actually said I should include a filled balloon with glitter on top of it, rigged so the balloon popped and the person opening it got a big puff of glitter in the kisser.. this is about as "nasty" as I could ever get.. heh

Overall we have to think that we take risks everyday, if you're worried take precautions, shake the container, empty it into a bucket first, only go after clear ones.. I guess it's more about what your level of concern is really.

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

Guest Anaethema

e is probably the most probable), there are also risks involved when driving a car, playing certain "legitimate" sports, taking drugs, going for a nice hike in the bush, or flying be Economy class. We westerners are too bloody sheltered by far.

Excuse me while I don my kevlar head-to-toe body suit and climb into my tank - just going down the road to pick up the milk.

Cheers,

PiedViper

Guest Anaethema

We have had similar issues in another "cult" sport I was involed with here in Sydney, that is, Draining (ie exploring abandoned places such as stomrwater drains, basements, mines etc). It got to the point where the organisation in question (that is, the Sydney Cave Clan) appeared on national TV on a few occasions. On every occasion I can recall, the "flash flood" (ie a drain flooded to the roof even on a sunny day) myth popped up. This is complete crap, and yes, while there are risks associated with draining (spider bite is probably the most probable), there are also risks involved when driving a car, playing certain "legitimate" sports, taking drugs, going for a nice hike in the bush, or flying be Economy class. We westerners are too bloody sheltered by far.

Excuse me while I don my kevlar head-to-toe body suit and climb into my tank - just going down the road to pick up the milk.

Cheers,

PiedViper

Australia does have some nasty eight-leggers, I've heard. Here in the states there are only a couple of spiders that can cause more than an annoying sting. The ones you have down under, the ones that eat birds and look like they're wearing the pelts of small mammals...they scare me. icon_smile.gif

Scott

Australia does have some nasty eight-leggers, I've heard. Here in the states there are only a couple of spiders that can cause more than an annoying sting. The ones you have down under, the ones that eat birds and look like they're wearing the pelts of small mammals...they scare me. icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest daviskw

After reading the articles here I am beginning to wonder if I have done something inappropriate. I have placed a few caches around St. Louis, and I like to use a theme. For instance, I painted skull and crossbones on a cache and generally used a pirate theme with the treasure and logbook. I just placed a cache that has a St.Patrick?s day theme. I painted shamrocks on the cache and also installed one of those jump out of a tube snakes that fly out as the cache is opened. It did not occur to me that people would be upset about this prank. I would appreciate your opinions and comments, I may go back and take it out.

Guest WrongWay

Ha ! I was going to use the snake in the can trick. If you do that you might want to put some TP or spare bloomers in the stash...

There is the possiblity of foul play with this sport but then, there is with anything.

If you follow common sense safety rules you'll minimize your risk. Hike with a friend, inform others where you'll be...on and on...common sense.

Oh yeah, if you see a guy running past you with a BOMB SQUAD T-shirt on...try to keep up.

Guest Choberiba

Since we're being deluged with warnings in the media. I thought I'd revisit a thread that's half as old as the sport.

I just pray that this is all that ever comes of it.

Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Since we're being deluged with warnings in the media. I thought I'd revisit a thread that's half as old as the sport.

Eric

This thread sure does read ALOT differently now doesn't it? icon_frown.gif

Mopar in Central NJ - Ground Zero to the north of me, Anthrax Alley to the south of me icon_frown.gif

quote:

Eric

This thread sure does read ALOT differently now doesn't it? icon_frown.gif

Mopar in Central NJ - Ground Zero to the north of me, Anthrax Alley to the south of me icon_frown.gif

Guest Choberiba

Mopar observed:

This thread sure does read ALOT differently now doesn't it?

Agreed.

I found my very first cache on August 31st, 2001.

I was immediately hooked and was telling all my friends about this new hobby of mine.

Being a half-empty kind of guy, I commented about this possibility and said "I can only hope I make a pretty pink mist"

I'm not joking about that kind of thing anymore.

I have very little fear when I open a cache.

The odds are so far in my favor that it's hard to to smirk when people express concern.

But nutjobs come in all shapes and sizes so who knows.

quote:

I have very little fear when I open a cache.

The odds are so far in my favor that it's hard to to smirk when people express concern.

But nutjobs come in all shapes and sizes so who knows.

You don't know. I have to admit to being more then alittle on edge lately. Common sense says odds of any of this crap happening are slim, but the reality that it could happen hits very close to home. I have friends that live or worked in the WTC and area. My girlfriend works in the medical field and sees dozens of people a day for possible anthrax symtoms. I have a friend who works in one of the post offices here in NJ that appears to be where this stuff was sent out from. I have a PO box in another regional post office that handles probably 25% of ALL the mail in the state and happens to be built on a old, but partially still active military base. My mom works in R&D facility thats been evacuated several times already for terrorist threats. Its real hard not to be a little jumpy.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 02 November 2001).]

Guest Choberiba

Mopar tells us:

I have to admit to being more then alittle on edge lately.

Well, considering all the example you gave, pointing to actual threats toward people for whom you have feelings. I can't say as I blame you in the slightest for being on edge.

I'm knocking on wood, formica, sheetrock, and anything else I can reach, in the hopes that we've seen the worst. That from here on out, our collective concern will be unfounded.

Guest Bufford

What is that rectangular tin doing just off a path in a well travelled park? Could it be a b-o-m-b? We better call the police, and have them blow it up just to be safe.

As unlikely as the scenerio may seem, locally we had a cache "detonated" by the bomb squad a couple of days ago because it was in an ammo can and left outside a railroad tunnel. Paranoia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep......Bufford

Well, I'm thinking the level of difficulty on our caching should go up a little. I know this makes it harder for the handicapped seekers, but directly visible caches might start being suspect. I think they should be hidden (or located) well enough such that a non-cacher could not see them.

As far as seeking a cache goes, I think we just need to use common sense. If it has some kind of powder all over it, or it is strapped to a tree and has "THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY" printed on it, obviously do not go near it and report it.

As far as clear tupperware vs. ammo box for the cache, a looney can put a B@mb in either. I mean are you actually going to pick up the clear tupperware container to examine it for invalid content before opening? Would you know what the bad stuff looks like? Who says it wouldn't be vibration sensitive - ooops, too late. Just use common sense.

Lou

on-cacher could not see them.

As far as seeking a cache goes, I think we just need to use common sense. If it has some kind of powder all over it, or it is strapped to a tree and has "THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY" printed on it, obviously do not go near it and report it.

As far as clear tupperware vs. ammo box for the cache, a looney can put a B@mb in either. I mean are you actually going to pick up the clear tupperware container to examine it for invalid content before opening? Would you know what the bad stuff looks like? Who says it wouldn't be vibration sensitive - ooops, too late. Just use common sense.

Lou

Guest Cape Cod Cache

paranoia runs deep,

into your life it will creep.

stop children , look around

everybodys cache in town.....

you're not that important !

sorry to burst your bubble, but as far as the world is concerned, you are a zero...

My mail is just OK, can't wait for the Xmas season, the local Postmaster's wife makes cookies.

GET A GRIP!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cache:

paranoia runs deep,

into your life it will creep.

stop children , look around

everybodys cache in town.....

you're not that important !

sorry to burst your bubble, but as far as the world is concerned, you are a zero...

My mail is just OK, can't wait for the Xmas season, the local Postmaster's wife makes cookies.

GET A GRIP!!!!

The woman 30 miles away who just DIED from anthrax was a nobody as well. Nobody mailed her a package of powder. It appears it was just cross contamination from the post office where a friend of mine works. No, I'm not paronoid, and Im not burning down my home trying to microwave my mail like one local woman, but the reality of things is just alot closer to home here then it is on Cape Cod. You might worry abit about those cookies if the post office they came from had been shut down already to decontaminate the place. Its not a case of if I'm important enough to have any sort of attack directed at me, cause I'm not. But I DO live in area where those attacks have affected and killed friends, family and neighbors who were not considered important either .

Guest xsintrik

anaethema said:

quote:
We have had similar issues in another "cult" sport I was involed with here in Sydney, that is, Draining (ie exploring abandoned places such as stomrwater drains, basements, mines etc).

cool, I was doing this as a teenager in the early 80's. I recently stumbled on a website describing a similar sport here on US college campus'.

Long before there was an internet to discuss it on I was familiar with every drainage ditch, tunnel, culvert, underground telephone company manhole and school roof near my home. I used to play "paintball" with my friends in the neighborhood and local woods and I was the 'tunnel rat'. I love to explore and wish I still could, but at 35, if I got cought doing that now, I would just look sad. Luckily, my kids are now getting old enough to do it and sometimes they let me tag along...

I don't fear finding a booby trap. I fear that some newspaper person will HEAR about a booby trap, write about it, and geocaching will be banned or, worse, government regulated.

ApK

Guest King Pellinore

What few freedoms we have left in this country (USA) are not being taken from us, but are being given away in the name of safety. Immediate safety is better than lifelong freedom? Never.

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

...freedoms we have left in this country... ...are being given away in the name of safety.

The frivolous lawsuit society we live in is killing us.

In the County where I live, swings are not allowed on school property or in our parks because they are considered too dangerous. Someone had a safety issue with it.

Pathetic icon_frown.gif

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 22 February 2002).]