Dead Bugs In My Cache!!

The Daniel Boone Gang

:)

I've got a dead travel bug in my cache, and I don't know what to do about. Having said that, many of us have dead/missing/awol bugs assigned to our caches, and they are NOT there. Yet the TB icon still shows and the bug is still assigned to our cache.

This is a problem on several fronts, not the least of which is dissapointed cachers who go to your cache thinking there's a TB in it, and there isn't.

In some cases, the owners of the TB are nowhere to be found either. In other cases, they are actively looking.

There needs to be a way to get rid of these bugs?

Suggestions?

Edited by The Daniel Boone Gang

We're adding a new feature shortly where as the cache owner you can "kick" bugs out of your cache and put them in limbo. In addition, there will be an option for travel bug owners to do the same thing.

Since this is Geocaching.com related, I'm moving it to the appropriate forum.

Part of the problem is the TB owner doesn't always respond.

I recently had a cache destroyed by geomuggles. It's ready to re-open, but there's a bug attached to the cache and it (along with everything else in the cache) was taken.

I emailed the TB owner and asked if they would like to send a replacement bug (using the duplicate tag) on a couple of occations, but there has been no response.

Sometimes I guess people lose interest.

I've also seen cases where newbees make a mistake and don't record the fact that they've taken a bug from the cache, but they state in the log that they've taken the it.

The Cache owner is probably the most informed person when it comes to making a decision about wether a bug is in their cache or not.

Both the cache owner and the TB owner must have the ability to get the bug out of the cache.

I guess once we can kick them to limbo the problem will be fixed. But what happens in limbo? Will that be like the TB graveyards that I've seen? Those seem to be very popular for depositing bugs who were lost in their travels!

;)

I've emailed the contact address and had bugs pushed into 'unknown location'. It gets the icon of the page, but doesn't add any miles like the graveyard.

Look at the Escape Doughboy, he's in there till someone finds and logs him.

Perhaps owners can soon do the same?