Do You Spread Your Legs?

Criminal

I agree pretty much with what Saxman says. I definitely don't want to be wandering all over the place though. It has proven best to go from point to point slowly while being observant enough to know you're on the right path. I think gently parting the bushes helps too.

Edited by Criminal

I think that the "is it worthwhile" test also applies to multicache stages. A monarch tree, a peaceful pond, a good view, yadda. Other than that, all that matters is the total length of the hike. You want to make sure it's not so long that someone can't lick the whole thing in one day.

I'd like to have the length of the hike listed if it's over about a mile. I have a 5 y.o. that I take, and anything further than that is kind of pushing it.

I also feel that the stages need to have meaning. Don't put a stage just to put a stage. Give me a view, or a pond, something of interest.

F_M

P.S. Anyone know the most stages in a single multi?

It's also good to consult with the cache owner to make sure you are going in the right direct. Be careful and safe when inserting your coordinates. And this is the most important piece of advise I can give you. Take your time, go slowly and enjoy the hike. The last thing you want to do is to reach your waypoint too soon.

The following is the length of the legs on this Cache

When you are in the vicinty of the saddle you can start your compass course, on the "GRAY DIAMOND GHOST TRAIL" its legs are as follows:

1. 336.6° .10 mi.

2. 88.1° .02 mi.

3. 92.1° .06 mi.

4. 104.3° .03 mi.

5. 92.0° .11 mi.

6. 95.0° .05 mi.

7. 191.8° .02 mi.

And I'm doing another one this summer, where the legs will be about .5 mi. apart for a one way distance of 3.5 miles.

It's also good to consult with the cache owner to make sure you are going in the right direct. Be careful and safe when inserting your coordinates. And this is the most important piece of advise I can give you. Take your time, go slowly and enjoy the hike. The last thing you want to do is to reach your waypoint too soon.

Well, maybe it's just my technique, but I like to be sure that all cache requirements are fully satisfied before plugging coordinates.

I don't want to debate the permission issue again either.

Reading the title and some of the posts I am somewhere between :o and :o so lets becareful the direction we take this thread. Some of its comments may be pushing the boundries, and I don't want to become :( or worse :o

Edited by hydee
Reading the title and some of the posts I am somewhere between :o and :o so lets be careful the direction we take this thread. Some of its comments may be pushing the boundaries, and I don't want to become :( or worse :o

Be careful of the direction?! Can it get worse. You're a good sport Hydee. That's pretty lenient of you. Thanks.

I have a few multis where the stages are very close together...less than .1 mile. I have others where there is anywhere between a half mile and a mile between stages.

I was planning a major multi that would have involved an 8 mile loop hike with a few miles between stages, but decided to change it into a series of caches, with a suggested route.

I would say it depends on who your trying to accommodate, a half mile or less between would be good, and less would make the total distance shorter likely making the cache eaiser. And the easier it is the more people that seem to do it, but those hard ones are more of an accomplishment, right?

I just think that the most important thing with long multi's is that you are very clear upfront on the web page. The last thing people need is to come a long distance, (to come to the cache, and doing the cache) only to find that the multi is multiple miles long, or the stages hidden too well.

As I said in another post, I have a multi that has three stages (with a bonus cache from someone else in between) over a 4-5 mile loop hike. This multi is in a high tourist area, so I get people from a long distance away.

I am very clear how long it is, and how long it should take to do it. And then I leave explicit clues and tell them to take the clues along, and only decode if needed. Unfortunately, I still have gotten several people recently who could not find the second stage. How frustrating!

:( most of the multileg caches I have seen are .1 to .3 in distance. A local cacher did one in a park that had 6 legs, and they were .15 - .3 between points. That worked out about right. However, I did a few in Seattle and the multi's were a tad bit longer. More like .3 - .5 (MILES)...
I just think that the most important thing with long multi's is that you are very clear upfront on the web page. The last thing people need is to come a long distance, (to come to the cache, and doing the cache) only to find that the multi is multiple miles long, or the stages hidden too well.

I think that's where the terrain and difficulty ratings come in.

Would somebody close this thread quickly before it erodes any further!

I looked at the thread to hopefully get some real opinions since I am planning a major multi-cache. Its too bad I had to give that up after reading the immature junk and vain attempts at off topic and off color humor dominating this thread.

Salvelinus

Would somebody close this thread quickly before it erodes any further!

I looked at the thread to hopefully get some real opinions since I am planning a major multi-cache.  Its too bad I had to give that up after reading the immature junk and vain attempts at off topic and off color humor dominating this thread.

Salvelinus

You don't know the topic founder then, do you? :(