Benchmark Clothing

oldfriends

The problem with hunting gear is that its is not safety approved for use in traffic, you need something reflective. Your life is not worth some cheap imitation. We had consultant survey contractors that got fined by OSHA for working in the road wearing hunting gear orange clothing.

Here are typical vests

I would recommend THIS ONE , OccuLux® Class 2 Surveyor’s Vest. We used these at work. 2nd row, 2nd from left on at that link.

Edited by elcamino
Another company to try is Filson.  They've been making outdoor gear for over 100 years. 

I can't speak to the adequacy of their safety gear - as noted, orange hunting garments may not be the best choice for roadside use, though probably they're better than nothing - but I will enthusiastically endorse Filson products. I've got a Filson wool vest that I've had and worn through about 25 seasons and it still looks brand new. I also have a coat that I am wearing today (indoors as I type this; the office is cold this morning) that I've had for about 20 years. This company makes great products that wear like iron and last forever. Not cheap, but worth every nickel.

-ArtMan-

Most sign shops that make road signs and construction equipment sell them... I keep two Florscent Yellow and one Flourscent Orange with me at all times.

Vests are THE BEST. When whearing one, you can get ayaw with just about anything, and noone will even looks at you twice..

(If anyone needs any, lemme know. I can pick up a handful..)

Me.

This brings to mind something I am sure many are unaware of. That is, many if not all states have laws that regulate how you should dress and what safety equipment you must have for working in or around roadways. If you are not properly equipped not only can you be a hazard to yourself, you can be to others.

Are they going come down on an occasional BM hunter? Maybe not and then again maybe yes. It all depends on the circumstances.

I worked for a state DOT for 30 yrs and we were often told to report any work going on within the ROW (Right of Way). Anything that could be construed as a hazard to the public (motorist) or to those doing the work, was of concern. The courts would find the state responsible for not taking action to prevent something from happening. We often came upon private survey crews working on the road with no signs, no warning lights on trucks and the men dressed in dark clothing with no safety vests, hard hats and safety glass's etc. OSHA or state OSHA agencies would fine companies for allowing their workers to operate like this. One incident involved a crew taking a measurement into the roadway, OSHA fine was over $1000 to the employer for this one incident, no signs out.

So keep this in mind when you are trekking around in or near a busy highway.

Edited by elcamino

CERT Vest and Hard hat,and other safety gear.(NO lights)

I have become a member of our local CERT Team,we are issued a green relective vest,for high visibility,has reflective tape.(FEMA)(SEMA)approved.

We are also taught Traffic and crowd control....along with many other things.

I am working on updates to maps and you know this requires finding the BM's.

I would reccomend all to join for the community and for the training I am sure your community needs this help.

I am sure like here they would appreciate the GPS mapping updates for the Search and Rescue, houses and buisness's,etc.

It could be part of your TEAM.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.

Happy.................................................................Geotrails

Both of the CERT programs I have tried to join have been put on indefinate hold due to funding issues.

The irony of this is that both were cancelled post 9-11 at a time when there has been an increased call from law enforcement, the Homeland Defence Dept. and the emergency community for citizens to step up and help out as they would be overwhelmed by a major catastrophe.

That the CERT program in my home city (Lakewood, CA) didn't go very far isn't a huge surprise but the fact that the program in Long Beach, CA was canned. Long Beach is the 5th largest city in California and home to the second busiest port in the U.S. (right behind it's neighboring port of Los Angeles). Add in the fact that it is smack-dab in the middle of earthquake country and I am left wondering what is going through the heads of city management when they cut the program.

At the one meeting I attended (the last one the program held), the fire captain was explaining that there was a day the previous week when the fire dept. had been stretched to its limit by having to send engines out to fight brush fires then having a fog related freeway pile-up with over 100 vehicles. If there had been one more major incident, the dept. wouldn't have been able to handle it. Sounds like a great idea to cut the CERT program.

<getting off my soapbox now>

Safety gear is very important while working inside of the ROW, but also be ware of the local laws regarding working inside of a State ROW. While in some juristictions John Q. Law can run you off or write you a ticket for unathorized work inside of a ROW. This is most likely to happen on limited access and interstates. Be careful, there are quite a few surveyors struck by drivers every year. B)