Ebrpd Geocaching Policy

r.haus

The offical word from the EBRPD (East Bay Regional Park District) is that the issue of Geocaching will be visited sometime this year. It is suspected that a policy will be put in place at that time. About a dozen (so far) cachers have agreed to design and impliment a plan that will hopefully prevent caches from being banned. This thread will serve as a conduit between the caching community and the cachers working on the plan. Please share your thoughts and if you want to get more involved just mention that in the reply or email me.

A quick update on the situation. A member of our group has been in contact with various members of the Park District offering assistance in devising a policy. The issue isn't a high priority and thus won't be addressed in the near future. This is good if no more caches are removed and it is business as usual in the Parks. However, this is bad if caches continue to be considered banned and are removed. We are hoping to work this out as soon as possible. (Clarification of stance) In the meantime, letter writing and/or emails probably won't do much good and could create a negative image of cachers. I know everyone is anxious about the issue and wants to do something but right now we should sit tight unless more caches are removed. If that occurs we need to act as a group and send a uniform message. So keep watching the board for updates. Thanks for all of the support.

Edited by r.haus

For those concerned cachers that will be attending the upcoming BADGES dinner in Pleasanton I will have a petition we can all sign. It basically states we are responsable users of the parks and that we don't want things to change, but if they do we want to be involved. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Geocachers: I'm a mountain bike access activist in Oakland, and have long been involved with East Bay Regional Park District trail design, maintenance, and access issues. I receive the EBRPD Operations Committee information packet. Today's mailing informs me that the Operations Committee is holding a hearing Thursday, January 12, to discuss establishing a geocaching policy.

Here's my question: The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (http://www.btceb.org) is interested in lending support to other groups that engage, or wish to engage, in human-powered activities in the regional parks, as long as they're compatible with the parks' environmental, social, and aesthetic goals. BTCEB would consider writing a letter of support for geocaching in principle to the Operations Committee if you wish. Would you like BTCEB to send such a letter? Please advise.

Geocachers: I'm a mountain bike access activist in Oakland, and have long been involved with East Bay Regional Park District trail design, maintenance, and access issues. I receive the EBRPD Operations Committee information packet. Today's mailing informs me that the Operations Committee is holding a hearing Thursday, January 12, to discuss establishing a geocaching policy.

Here's my question: The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (http://www.btceb.org) is interested in lending support to other groups that engage, or wish to engage, in human-powered activities in the regional parks, as long as they're compatible with the parks' environmental, social, and aesthetic goals. BTCEB would consider writing a letter of support for geocaching in principle to the Operations Committee if you wish. Would you like BTCEB to send such a letter? Please advise.

This meeting is being discussed in the forums at the Geocachers of the Bay Area web site (www.thegba.net). I'll copy your post there.