Separate Micro Containing Hints

ghOzt

I'm planning to place a pretty difficult puzzle-type multi and want to provide some solid hints so that the final can still be found by those who may be um... lacking in the gray-matter department. The problem is that if I put the hints on the cache page, people may just decrypt them before even attempting to do the cache the way I intended. My planned solution to this is to have a bonus micro placed somewhere in the area that will have a piece of paper in it with the hints on that piece of paper. Cachers will get the coordinates to this "hint cache" when they open the first container and hopefully they'll write them down and not take the time to search for the hint cache unless they are really stumped somewhere along their way through the multi.

I'm sure this has been done before. Is it a good idea, or will it just be annoying for people to have to search for the hints?

I had an idea like that.

I was scouting a place to hide a cache and found a very concealed place behind a historical sign. So concealed, in fact, that I figured many people would find the sign easily but not be able to find the cache.

I wanted to hide a "hint micro" nearby, but I feared people would just go search for that first, so instead I came up with a plan that utilized some information on the sign in order to figure out where the "hint micro" was hidden--which was a couple hundred yards away. This assured me that people would give a decent attempt in finding the cache before resorting to the hint.

As it turns out, as I was in the process of securing permission to hide the cache there, someone else hid a cache just a few hundred feet away without permission.

Jamie

Maybe give finders a combination of options. They have to either 1) solve the puzzle to get the coordinates, or 2) find a difficult series of micros to get them. So the brainiacs can figure out the coordinates in the comfort of their living room, while the hikers can have a challenging hunt ahead of them to nail the cache.

Edited by briansnat