An Easier Way To Enter Waypoints In Etrex Gps's

New England n00b

Hi all.

I just found out an easier way to manually enter waypoints in my eTrex Legend. Had I read the manual I might have figured it out sooner. Yes, I am a dummy.

Anyway, I was marking a wapoint then going to the map to move the cursor to the point required.

Rather than do all that foolishness, I accidently found out (after changing the waypoint icon & name) that you can click the waypoint coordinate box immediately below the name and manually adjust the numbers.

Hope that helps anyone else out there.

Of course, veterans will tell you the BEST way to enter coord's is to use EasyGPS or related program. And they are right... If you have to enter coords manually, this is just a cooler way.

Hi all.

I just found out an easier way to manually enter waypoints in my eTrex Legend. Had I read the manual I might have figured it out sooner. Yes, I am a dummy.

Anyway, I was marking a wapoint then going to the map to move the cursor to the point required.

Rather than do all that foolishness, I accidently found out (after changing the waypoint icon & name) that you can click the waypoint coordinate box immediately below the name and manually adjust the numbers.

Hope that helps anyone else out there.

Of course, veterans will tell you the BEST way to enter coord's is to use EasyGPS or related program. And they are right... If you have to enter coords manually, this is just a cooler way.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! You're kidding, right? How else do you enter a waypoint? Seriously, I thought that was the only way to manually enter one.....what were you doing?

Tell me you're kidding (I can never tell, and I'm a pretty gullible person). Then again, if you're really interested in accuracy, get the cable for $30. I can't remember what life was like before I got the data cable.

I still chuckle that one of my long-time Geocaching friends never used the Go To feature on his etrex. Instead, he would display his present coordinates and watch the numbers until they matched. If you do it that way, you never really have to enter in the coordinates. :rolleyes:

I still chuckle that one of my long-time Geocaching friends never used the Go To feature on his etrex. Instead, he would display his present coordinates and watch the numbers until they matched. If you do it that way, you never really have to enter in the coordinates. :rolleyes:

Funny, but when I was marking property lines on my farm, I did that to stay on the line...just watched the long or lat while I was walking and made sure I stayed on it...thank goodness my property ran north and south pretty well! That was with my Geko 101, a few days after I bought it, and hadn't found the part about projecting a WP!

CrimsonWrath - Best thing to come out of Canada ever... I gotta go find DVD's of that show.

Sparky - it isn't inaccurate if you keep zooming in on the map... Yeah yeah, stop laughing. :rolleyes: Punk.

Markwell - Get Fuzzy is in my top 5 all time favorites: Calvin & Hobbes, Pogo, Bloom County, Get Fuzzy and the OLD Charlie Browns... When Snoopy had a thin nose. Of course, right now, Get Fuzzy is my favorite. I emailed Darby Conley(sp?) and told him that *I* was Bucky Katt. ANd Mushrooms ARE a fungus. Yechh.

Back on topic. I have the cable around here somewhere. I just never have it on hand when the urge strikes, so I just print out the page and jump in the car. At some point I'll dig it up and pony up for a GC membership for all the goodies. And the Garmin maps for my legend, too...

But for now - I love the trails.

Tell me you're kidding (I can never tell, and I'm a pretty gullible person). Then again, if you're really interested in accuracy, get the cable for $30. I can't remember what life was like before I got the data cable.

I still chuckle that one of my long-time Geocaching friends never used the Go To feature on his etrex. Instead, he would display his present coordinates and watch the numbers until they matched. If you do it that way, you never really have to enter in the coordinates. :tired:

Both my Venture and Legend came with a cable. Why would you have to buy another?