Feature Request--extra Data Field In Gpx

TresOkies

I broke my Palm this weekend while we were doing some urban caching. I'll spare the details, but I'm sick about it. Fortunately, it's still in warranty.

Anyway, I had all the caches for the area stored in the Palm and no paper backups. We attempted a couple of caches that we couldn't find because we had no other information about them. I would like to suggest a new field of information about each cache that the cache owner has the ability to set. This field would be "can be found with only the coordinate information". That is, there are no offsets that have to be computed, no projecting waypoints, no puzzles to solve and no other information needed in order to find the cache. Go to the coordinates, look around, and find the cache. This would've been useful for me because I could've reloaded my GPSRs with those caches filtered out of the GPX file.

If the feature is implemented, I would suggest setting all the existing caches to 'false'. Even though it would eliminate all caches now, new caches would have the data set correctly. Over time, as hiders update their existing caches, they could set the data field as appropriate. This would eliminate any false positives.

Is this an earth-shaking request? No. It's merely a refinement. If we are suggesting flags for other bits of information, such as dog-friendly, ADA-compliant, etc., this is something I'd like to see. Then again, I hope to never be in this situation again. :unsure:

-E

The way I see it, any cache classified as a "traditional cache" should be findable with just the coordinates. If there is a puzzle to complete, then it should be classified as a mystery/unknown cache. If there are additional stages, then it should be classified as a multicache. If there is no container, then it should be classified as a virtual.

There is a sizeable minority of miscategorized caches out there. Seems to me that your beef is with the owners of those caches, who have not classified them with the correct cache type. Why introduce a new data element which, by your own admission, will be false for many tens of thousands of existing caches? The same people who don't understand the difference between a traditional cache and a multicache are not likely to answer the question correctly about being findable with just the coordinates.

Sorry to hear about your PDA. Mine has re-set itself, but never died outright. Even then, because I use GPX Spinner, the renamed waypoints in my GPS tell me whether or not that next waypoint is a traditional cache. (Virtual caches are changed from GC to VC, multicaches are changed from GC to MC, etc.)

I agree with the Leprechauns. Traditional caches are called traditional because you *should* be able to find them with only the coordinates. If they are miscategorized you should email the cache owner to change it.

If there was a new field I doubt the people who are already miscategorizing their caches would use it. They're already not using the existing features correctly.

I agree with the Leprechauns. Traditional caches are called traditional because you *should* be able to find them with only the coordinates. If they are miscategorized you should email the cache owner to change it.

If there was a new field I doubt the people who are already miscategorizing their caches would use it. They're already not using the existing features correctly.

Fair enough.

Might I suggest that the next time you send out the Weekly Cache Notification, include a blurb like this:

Spring is upon us and we are beginning to see geocachers in the wild again. Why not take this opportunity to make sure that your caches are intact and in good condition? While you are at it, look at your cache pages and make sure that the information there is still valid and useful to perspective finders. For example, make sure the caches are classified correctly. A geocacher should be able to find a "regular" cache without any information other than coordinates listed on the cache page. etc., etc.

Thanks for listening.

-E

And if the cache owner does not respond to my polite request, what should I do then?

[And now I've read Hemlock's response...so who's the person for GA?]

Edited by beejay&esskay