In your backpack

Howie57

icon_smile.gif Hi my name is Howie and i just got my Garmin etrex this very day. Now i've read the manual and of course will take baby steps in doing my first cache. But one question that i can't find on this site. What is some of the stuff that one might take in a backpack other than water, leatherman and such when geocaching? I'll be mostly doing car caches. So any suggestions will be greatly appriciated, thanks in advance Howie......ok i am so PUMPED !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

You go Howie!

Welcome to our addiction. You will love it. I have no idea where you live, but take whatever you would take on a day out in your area. You will need trinkets to trade. A visit to your local dollar store is a start. Always carry a pen in case you meet a pen-less cache. If you're doing urban micros, take a mirror unless you want to crawl on the ground a lot.

A word of advice. Don't be discouraged if you can't find some caches at first. Our success rate wasn't that good when we first got started. Once you learn the tricks, finding the caches will get easier.

Have fun. Post an update of your first day's adventures.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

Welcome to the grand addiction!

While you indicate that you'll be doing mostly car caches, I predict that will soon change. It's kinda like a drug addict saying they only smoke an occassional joint. Most of the time, they're drawn into bigger hits. icon_wink.gif

There's a TON of threads out there entitled "What's in your backpack" and the European version "What's in your rucksack?" Most of them deal with heavy duty hiking. But a more comprehensive list for the full day hike can also give you some suggestions to start with - and then weed out the things you don't need.

First off, I would start with a simple search of the forum threads. I did a quick search on the keyword "backpack" in the subject title, and came up with these results. There's a ton of material in those posts - more than enough to get you started.

Again - welcome!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Howie57:

icon_smile.gif ...i just got my Garmin etrex this very day. What is some of the stuff that one might take in a backpack other than water, leatherman and such when geocaching?

I started off doing some really dumb things while caching. Two points that really helped me.

1. Mark the car as a waypoint, so it's easy to find the way back.

2. Get a map of the area which shows the trails. Instead of just following the arrow on the GPS, read the GPS for the distance to the cache, then using the map scale and a compass, look for which trails intersect the cache location.

Since I Geocache and hike some distance alone in snake country and changing weather this is what I keep in my pack...

Windbreaker, warm cap, extra polypro thermal undershirt (change/add if sweaty or cold)

Cell phone, LED flashlight/strobe beacon, mirror, whistle. Extra batteries, toilet paper, tweezers, moleskin.

Not an item usually in the pack, but the Best investment since the GPSr...GAITERS! They keep ticks, rocks and all the stickers out of my socks:-)

--------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

Thanks everyone...appriciate it and will be trying a easy one tomorrow (sunday) to hopefully build up my confidence...

quote:
Originally posted by Greenjeens:

quote:

icon_smile.gif ...i just got my Garmin etrex this very day. What is some of the stuff that one might take in a backpack other than water, leatherman and such when geocaching?

I started off doing some really dumb things while caching. Two points that really helped me.

1. Mark the car as a waypoint, so it's easy to find the way back.

2. Get a map of the area which shows the trails. Instead of just following the arrow on the GPS, read the GPS for the distance to the cache, then using the map scale and a compass, look for which trails intersect the cache location.

Since I Geocache and hike some distance alone in snake country and changing weather this is what I keep in my pack...

Windbreaker, warm cap, extra polypro thermal undershirt (change/add if sweaty or cold)

Cell phone, LED flashlight/strobe beacon, mirror, whistle. Extra batteries, toilet paper, tweezers, moleskin.

Not an item usually in the pack, but the Best investment since the GPSr...GAITERS! They keep ticks, rocks and all the stickers out of my socks:-)

--------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

quote:

icon_smile.gif Hi my name is Howie.

What is some of the stuff that one might take in a backpack other than water, leatherman and such when geocaching? I'll be mostly doing car caches. So any suggestions will be greatly appriciated, thanks in advance Howie......ok i am so PUMPED !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Howdy, and welcome to geocaching!

No one really answered your question. So I will start it off. BTW, this is called "MARKWELLING", because of another fellow on here that seems to be real good at directing people to information.

So, I will markwell you to THIS THREAD. (click on the link)

Read it. There are markwells in that thread to other threads. Click on them and read more. By the time you are done, you will have a good feel of what some of us have in our backpacks.

Now, keep in mind that I hike the desert. Everything is 5 miles or more away, and if you don't bring it, you do without. There isn't a 7-11 behind every Yucca plant. I hike WAY more than I geocache. I am a volunteer in a Texas state park, I patrol 37 square miles of desert mountain range. I carry a lot of gear - not for me, but for the poor fools I find on the trail. You wouldn't believe my first aid kit.

Since you have not filled out your profile, we are unsure as to where you are at. BTW, if you look to the left of this message, you will see a photo called an AVATAR, of the message author. Click on the name above the avatar, and you can see the profile of that person. Anyway.... Your needs may be different than mine. Pack accordingly.

I suggest you read the forums, ask questions, and go on a few easy hunts. As you gain experience you will know what you need.

Again, welcome to Geocaching.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Howie- I am sure you will find a good bit of info in the Markell'ed threads but just as a note I consider the following as a must for myself:

-Small personal firstaid kit

-1:24,000 topo map of the search area

-compass

-(If your not familiar with finding your way around w/o the GPS) a LandNav pocket reference

-Whistle

-CellPhone / 2-way radio

-Water (more than you think you need_

-Snacks

-Disposable poncho

-Extra GPS batteries

-small flashlight

-1 extra "warm" layer (ie: fleece pull-over)

-A few large trash bags (millions of uses)

I'm also new to 'the obsession'.

So far I've only cached in and around

town. Very short excursions.

I bring:

icon_wink.gifA couple of spare AA batteries for my GPS.

icon_wink.gifA pen for logging in the notebook, in case

the caches writing instrument doesn't work.

icon_wink.gifSeveral small trade items.

icon_wink.gifA map from the caches webpage. I print off

the clues and coordinates from the webpage

sometimes if I think I'll need the extra

help.

ENJOY!

We would love the thank everyone for their advice and i will use at the very least parts of everyones Thanks!!!

We went on our first Hunt yesterday, sort of rainy and wet low cloud cover and high trees. GPS was doing funny things and figured it was from the clouds and trees. But i did use the coordinates only and got close enough and wouldn't you know BINGO !!!! found it.... now you talk about a rush lol. Very good day.. One down and ? many to go.... thanks again eveyone.......are we allowed to post pics of us AT or with the cache, but not showing the location? Not sure so asking, dont want to get offon the wrong foot with all my new friends...... Howie57

Just a short note on compasses.

There is a difference between True North and Magnetic North. That difference is called Magnetic Declination (M.D.).

M.D. varies depending upon where you are in the world. In North Idaho it is about 17 degrees, a significant amount.

M.D. also varies in time, because the magnetic pole moves. In other words M.D. at a given location today is not what it was 150 years ago. This movement is small, and on a year by year basis is barely discernable.

When you use a compass in conjunction with your GPS, you must take into account M.D. You can use a basic compass with no feature to adjust for M.D. and just make the correction to True North in your head. After about two times doing it this way you are going to think, "What a freakin' pain!" So, I recommend spending a few extra bucks on a decent compass that has a declination adjustment.

I own a Silva Model 515 Ranger which reads in azimuth (not bearings). It is a mirror compass with a rotating bezel, a declination adjustment, a simple clinometer, a map scale and a short ruler. I think I spent $60 for mine. It should be possible to get a suitable compass for less money. In my case, the reason I spent the money I did is not only am I a bit of a tool junky, but I use a compass in my line of work.

A couple of useful links:

ABOUT MAGNETIC DECLINATION

A SIMPLE MAGNETIC DECLINATION CALCULATOR

Happy hunting.

-Mark-

Compasses - I had a lot of experience with map & compass, and always adjusted for declination.

However, if you are not using UTM coordinates, I would think it better to have your GPS and compass using unadulterated Magnetic North, assuming the GPSr gets Magnetic North correctly.

(I don't know what the "native" reference to North built into the GPS network is, though.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

My Backpack kit varies from location to location

depending on what I'll need

her is a list of not nessary items but will be good on certan caches

Umbrella

Bear spray

FRS

Walking stick

dry socks

some realy important items that should be included in your kit

Spare set of car keys

bug spray

sun screen

first aid kit

cell phone

spare change

More to see, More to do

Depends on where you are going. For a urban cache hunt, you probably don't even need a backpack. For hunts in the woods, bring anything you'd bring for a day hike, plus some geocaching specific items like your bag of trade items and extra batteries.

Since you plan on doing mostly car caches, there really is no need to carry a backpack. Maybe just a fanny pack or ziploc bag with your trade items.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Preparing to visit a cache varies from cache to cache. If I have to do any hiking (like the last two) I pack

GPS (with spare batteries)

Water

baseball cap

Sunglasses

Cellphone

Camera (optional)

Walking stick

Some of you might be wondering why a walking stick, IMO it can be pretty essential. I use it to bash bushes to warn critters that I am in the area and it is also useful to poking around for a cache that is hidden in brush. You never know how difficult an area can be or out of reach a cache is until you get there.

Urban caches I just take my GPS.

Yeah, I need a compass. Thus far, I've been able to rely on the sun. Today, I even had the presence of mind to LOOK AT THE SUN and NOTE IT'S POSITION when I was in a clearing. That way, when I found myself going backwards and forwards and looking around, I could say "OK, that's West" because your GPSr will be completely confused.

Now, I'm not too good at this thing in the woods. I've found that, if I'm following the trail, and the trail takes a sharp turn, I'm screwed. Of course, I can TELL that the arrow is pointing "over there" and the sharp turn is going to get me "over there" - but when I get "there" my GPSr might not have recovered its bearings.

To be honest, sharp turns throw off the GPS when you're in a field, too. I just don't have any problems in fields because I don't have to make sharp turns.

People talk about stopping and letting the gps "settle" - I think, although I'm not sure, that this means something when you have a model that "averages" coordinates. I know that my model does not "average." I don't think it DOES "settle down." No, wait, I think I noticed, while I was sitting on a bench, filling out the log, that the pointer did eventually seem to end up pointing directly at the hiding spot. However, I DO know that moving in a straight line is the best way to get my doo-hickey back on track. Of course, it's usually a straight line back up the trail, and when I turn around to go back, I'm screwed up again.

So, I had an unsuccesful search today, but that was based on two things: not having enough faith in my unit, and not WANTING to believe that it was right. It was pointing at a spot off the trail in a bunch of bushes and mud and plants with "leaves of three." I didn't WANT to go look over there.

Got home, read the hint... it was where the thing told me it was.

So, I need two things: a compass (so I can just say "OK, time to stop looking at the gps and start looking") and a hunting companion who would make digging around in mud and shrubs FUN.

I'm very new to this and found my first 2 caches last Saturday. What I found with both of them was that they were wet inside. So I decided that it would be friendly, in the future, to bring along some 'maintenance' items. So I would bring some tissues or kitchen towel to dry out the cache, some poly zipper bags to help keep the contents dryer, and some spare pens so I could leave one if there wasn't one. I think if everyone helped in maintaining any caches they find, it would make for a better experience for future finders.

Nigel

quote:
Originally posted by dogastus:

I'm very new to this and found my first 2 caches last Saturday. What I found with both of them was that they were wet inside. So I decided that it would be friendly, in the future, to bring along some 'maintenance' items. So I would bring some tissues or kitchen towel to dry out the cache, some poly zipper bags to help keep the contents dryer, and some spare pens so I could leave one if there wasn't one. I think if everyone helped in maintaining any caches they find, it would make for a better experience for future finders.

Nigel

I agree - yesterday, I had to use my shirttail to clean up after some idiot who had put in A GUMBALL, then not sealed the container. A towel is simply a handy thing to have, anyway.

Good idea!

They didn't sign the online log, just the book. I know it was the person who was there just before me, and I think they said it was their first day of caching.

I wrote something about it on the online log, just in case they were following up with the cache.

I'll go ahead and post our list again:

For Microcaches or Virtuals:

·extra set of batteries for the GPSr

·printed copy of the cache pages that you have planned to visit

·a couple of pens or pencils (to sign the logbook or to leave in those caches that don't have one)

·some 35mm film canisters with logbook/stash notes (for on-the-fly micro caches)

·digital camera

·sunscreen

·compass

·map of the area

·spare change

For Traditional Urban Caches, Add the Following:

·trade items

·extra log book (in case the one in the cache is full)

·Ziploc bags

For Other (Rural) Caches, Add the Following:

·water

·snacks (my personal favorite item!)

·cell phone

·hiking stick (also good for prodding in leaves or brush while looking for the cache.)

·small first aid pack (keep it stocked!)

·multitool (such as a Leatherman)

·small flashlight (one with same size batteries as your GPSr)

·safety whistle (one for each person in the party)

·lighter and/or waterproof matches and/or monocular

·fire starter bricks

·large emergency blanket (can also be used for shelter)

·large trash bags (for CITO. Can also double as an emergency poncho.)

·insect repellent (Deep Woods Off is great. Wipes would be very convenient.)

·toilet paper

·water purification tablets

·If you have room, you gotta have a Pocket Fisherman!

Other Tips:

·For rural caches, always let someone know where you're going and when you should be back.

·Get in the habit of always waypointing the car!

·Two suggestions for homemade lightweight and compact fire starters:

1)Vaseline Balls. To make the Vaseline Balls, put 5-10 cotton balls into a Ziploc bag with 2-3 tablespoons of petroleum jelly, seal the bag and massage/squish the mess until the cotton balls are loaded with the Vaseline. (You can vary the quantities as you see fit to get the right mix, so that very little loose Vaseline is left in the bag.) Put one or two of these in your fire pit prior to attempting to start your fire. You'll be impressed at the duration of flame they produce.

2)Collect extra wax from candles, etc. around the house and melt it. Stuff dryer lint into the compartments of an empty egg carton, leaving a small “wick” at the top. Pour the melted wax over the lint and let cool. These make great fire starter balls.

(This list is a composite of items listed in this thread).

quote:
Originally posted by BullDogBob:

The one most essential thing i carry and have forgotten once is a small golf towel or small hand towel to wipe my face as I sweat alot in the summer. I hate walking in the woods carrying a gps and sweat pouring off of me. I never leave home without one.

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

The only times I wipe off the sweat from my face is when it is getting into my face, or dripping on the log I'm signing. Otherwise, it acts as an evaporative coolant for the surface skin. I think there was one point on the recent SnowLake Overlook/Gem Cache hike that the bill of my hat almost had a steady stream off of it. Now if I just had my hands on one of those Dune water recovery still suits...

Cheers!

TL