Creative Cache Container For Large Cache... ;)

I was hanging out with someone recently who had an old, hardshell camping trailer he was about to either sell or just give away. It wasn't worth much, but it still was a servicable little thing. It was maybe 12 feet long at the most, complete with tiny kitchen and narrow bunk. Good for hunters, maybe.

It occurred to me: if I had some land out in the country, and had a small ancient-but-still-livable trailer like this, I would have fun turning THAT into a cache container! :ph34r:

I'd just get creative! Redecorate the whole inside in a way which would completely delight a visiting cacher. Have a shelf that says "travel bugs hang out here" Have a big, hardbound, classy-looking guestbook for a logbook on yet another shelf. Trade items get to live in a nice hanging basket. Colorful geocaching.com logo lives on the wall as a decoration (ha-ha, maybe as a crosstitch-looking thing that says 'home sweet home'). Maybe put a beer or two in the fridge, and some soda pop for the kids. Stuff like that.

It would be fun thinking of fellow cachers hunting around and around and around that little trailer, scratching their heads. Maybe have some decoy caches with hints scattered around until they figure it out. Better yet, make it an offset cache with a key to the trailer, to keep it safe. Include directions to lock up when you leave, and put the key back in the initial, normal cache container.

Man, I do need some beautiful rural land of my own someday... eventually... be able to do fun, creative stuff like this. :o (sigh)... ah, a person can dream...)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I have a cache that is very similar to this. One small problem i have found is that when people get near the cache site, they think that someone else is already there and leave. It has only happened that way a couple of times, but it is something to consider.

I do not give away the secret on my cache page, that the container is 14 feet long, six feet tall and six feet wide. However it is listed as a large container. I believe that it is the biggest cache out there, it also contains the largest travel bug I have ever seen and what has got to be the heaviest travel bug out there. The cache listing is GCGNET. (Sorry I do not know how to do the link thing.)

I have a cache that is very similar to this. One small problem i have found is that when people get near the cache site, they think that someone else is already there and leave. It has only happened that way a couple of times, but it is something to consider.

I do not give away the secret on my cache page, that the container is 14 feet long, six feet tall and six feet wide. However it is listed as a large container. I believe that it is the biggest cache out there, it also contains the largest travel bug I have ever seen and what has got to be the heaviest travel bug out there. The cache listing is GCGNET. (Sorry I do not know how to do the link thing.)

Hah! :ph34r: That one just made my "must find" list!

Oh phooey. I accidently put in a space in front. Works now! :ph34r:

This is proof to me that there is no such thing as a new, brilliant idea in the geocaching world! Somwhere out there, inevitably someone has already thought up AND ALREADY IMPLIMENTED whatever you came up with - whatever it is! ;):o

See I once had a idea similar to this but a lot more fun. The basic cache idea would be the same, but the implimentation would be different.

Cachers would first be sent to a waypoint of "where the road to the cache starts." However, when they get to the road, it will be blocked off by barricades and traffic barrels and stuff, and there will be posted signs on the barricades. But the posted signs will say "Posted: Private Road, No Trespassing, No Thruway" in really big words and then "Use of road by Geocachers" in smaller letters that would be readable but only if you were sitting in front of the barrel. This barricade would serve to hopefully scare off non-cachers, and cachers who are idiots. The cachers who were smart enough to read the signs would just move the barrels, drive through, and then move them again. The road would lead into private property and then eventually to a shed, which would be the cache. The approach to the shed would be heavily posted with signs similar to that at the gate and the front door will have another big sign, but once again, smart cachers who read will procede into the cache.

Of course, implimenting this would take lots of time, money, and land...

It would be like a geocaching motel. People could stay in it as they were passing through town. Hmmmmm......I have the land and I have the trailer.......

hmmmm! a geocaching motel. cachers would check in, but would they check out? :P

:P You could name it the Norman Bates cache! :P

I recently saw a page for a montana cache, where the container is actually a cabin. It's not a virtual, because there is a real log book inside.

It's no secret, though (or I wouldn't know about it), it's mentioned on the cache page.

The cache listing is GCGNET. (Sorry I do not know how to do the link thing.)

Here's a link to the cache page.

This sounds way cool! And best of all I plan to be in TN this summer to visit relatives. Wonder if my wife will mind a hundred mile detour.....

I just had to decrypt the hint - too curious. So, what's the thing about the rocks? Did you put a few on the roof? :)

Yep, there are rocks on top and a geocaching "Official Geocache" sticker on the back. First to find prize was a hideous 3 foot tall light up trophy. All because while hunting for a cache in central florida I misunderstood my wife when I asked what kind of container a cache was in.

Me: "What is it, babe?"

She: "It says a small 4 by 4 container."

Me: "What do you mean, I don't think a truck can hide behind this seawall."

She: (Insert dazed look like she just realized she married the densest man in the world here)

Me: "Oh, four inches by four inches, got it."

She: "Yeah, like this one right here, may I have your pen, please."

Edited by Monkeybrad