Garmin Etrex Legend Problem

We've had our Legend about 14 months (just out of warranty... figures.) Just started having problems with the joystick. It won't work to move left or right. Up/down still works just fine. Garmin wants 99 bucks to service it, but I just can't see paying that. I'm willing to open it up and check it out for myself, but I don't really wanna do this without some idea about what to look for.

Has anyone else had this problem with the eTrex series? Any advice for me?

Try smacking it.

No, seriously, try smacking it sharply on the palm of your hand a couple of times. The click stick on my old Legend used to take little 'siestas' from time to time and I discovered that I could wake it up by rapping it smartly in my other hand. I never could figure out what led up to these occurances, but that always worked.

That was the only problem, outside of the rubber gasket coming loose, that my Legend ever gave me.

That's one of the eTrex line's known faults. I have heard (but not experienced) people having good luck iwth Garmin's customer service even when things are out of the warrant period. If the old "bigger hammer" theory doesn't fix it, contact Garmin, explain it, and see what they are willing to do. Might be worth it!

I had the screen scramble problem last year under warranty and have had the new replacement unit for over a year now.

Unfortunately, I had the same problem as you (mine wouldn't go up) but it went away on its own. I am also seeing the occasional screen scramble once again. I've haven't contacted Garmin yet, but will if the problem persists or gets worse.

Mike

That's one of the eTrex line's known faults. I have heard (but not experienced) people having good luck iwth Garmin's customer service even when things are out of the warrant period. If the old "bigger hammer" theory doesn't fix it, contact Garmin, explain it, and see what they are willing to do. Might be worth it!

WOW!! I took your advice and gave Garmin a call. They agreed to repair my Legend under warranty, even though it's about 3 months out of warranty! KUDOS to the good folks at Garmin, and thanks for the advice!!!

They also said they would have my unit back to me within two weeks. Can't ask for much better service than that...

I was reading this post, intending to let you know that I had the same problem and that they fixed it for free (I had the GPS back 4 days after it was mailed!), but noticed that someone mentioned 'screen scramble.'

I have this problem -- the screen goes crazy with lines and sometimes totally disappears. I can stop it by touching the on/off button, but I guess it should be fixed. Did they have to give you a new unit or just do a repair?

I sent my legend in with the typical problems with the joystick, screen, and rubber gasket, and they replaced it with a brand new one. Got it back in 8 days. It was out of warranty, but they covered it anyway at no charge. Excellent service.

Assuming you meant me re: the screen scramble, I sent it in and Garmin replaced the unit (I was still under warranty at the time). I think they do this all the time and no idea if they give you a brand new unit or a refurbished one? Maybe that's why they'll fix the ones out of warranty.

Doesn't really matter, since the screen worked really well for a lot longer than the warranty period. However, if mine starts acting up, then I'll be calling Garmin once again.

Mike