Dead Horse Club

If a newbie posts a topic new to them and a regulare doesn't respond is it really a dead horse?

Good point. Sometimes it seems some of the regulars Live for the chance to markwell someone, etc. I feel sometimes, those regulars could maybe just stay out of it, and let some fresh perspective into the discussion.

If I had the time, I could compile a list of some of the regulars, and All thier likes/dislikes. Even reading/lurking a moderate amount will show give you a good idea of how someone feels. (especially since they post in everythread, every topic, each time something is mentioned.)

We get it. You (do)dont like(dislike) "topic". Great! Now if the rest of the world could chime in, maybe some new light could be shed?

It is sometimes frustrating watching the derailment by the same counterpoints from the same person over and over.

Go plant a micro nearby! :huh:

Oh, and my favorite has got to be locationless caches

(edited to include my favorite!)

Edited by Pto

Oh good, as a frequent lurker here's my moment to shine!

I tried submitting a virtual cache but they told me no! I tried explaining to the approver that I CAN'T put a traditional cache there--not in the middle of the railroad tracks right next to the military base--but they STILL wouldn't approve it! The approvers are clearly biased and prejudiced against me and their decision is wrong! I appeal to you, the masses, to rise up against TPTB and demand that all virtual caches be allowed regardless of quality, especially mine!

There, I feel much better. Thank you for the opportunity to have my voice heard. :huh::D:D

P.S. I love micros, even when a regular cache would fit. B)

Edited by Team PerkyPerks
Good point. Sometimes it seems some of the regulars Live for the chance to markwell someone, etc. I feel sometimes, those regulars could maybe just stay out of it, and let some fresh perspective into the discussion.

Interesting. I recently markwelled in the virtual cache thread because the original poster indicated a lack of knowledge whether the topic had been discussed before. So Markwelling provides background.

I doubt in many situations that a Markwell is inteded to be rude or to stop discussion. Instead it is helpful background. At least that is the way I have always viewed it or used it.

I doubt in many situations that a Markwell is inteded to be rude or to stop discussion. Instead it is helpful background. At least that is the way I have always viewed it or used it.

That wasnt directed toward anyone specific - I agree that most of the time this is the case- Of course, I have seen times when it was done in a rude or nasty manner.

I have also noticed (sometimes) that by following the markwell, you often times wind up on page 8 of something like the muggles thread - Which is of course No help to the newbie. Reading all 8 pages of the old topic will not shed any "new" light on the subject.

maybe my new favorite should just be newbies starting redundant threads?

My favorite DH:

People who refuse to join the site, but feel free to complain they aren't getting enough value from it.

You mean the:

"I want to be able to do XXX."

"XXX is available to you if you were a premium member."

"Yeah, but I'm greatly inconvienienced because I can't do XXX."

"It's there, you just need to become a member."

"How hard would it be to add XXX to this page?"

"They don't need to, because it's on this page. Just spend the $30 and become a member, then you'll be able to do XXX."

"I think XXX should be available on this page."

"Hello? Anyone home?"

My favorite DH:

People who refuse to join the site, but feel free to complain they aren't getting enough value from it.

You mean the:

"I want to be able to do XXX."

"XXX is available to you if you were a premium member."

"Yeah, but I'm greatly inconvienienced because I can't do XXX."

<snip>

Exactly! :huh:

If a newbie posts a topic new to them and a regulare doesn't respond is it really a dead horse?

If I had the time, I could compile a list of some of the regulars, and All thier likes/dislikes. Even reading/lurking a moderate amount will show give you a good idea of how someone feels. (especially since they post in everythread, every topic, each time something is mentioned.)

We get it. You (do)dont like(dislike) "topic". Great! Now if the rest of the world could chime in, maybe some new light could be shed?

It is sometimes frustrating watching the derailment by the same counterpoints from the same person over and over.

Go plant a micro nearby! :huh:

Oh, and my favorite has got to be locationless caches

(edited to include my favorite!)

I agree here completely. Just because someone who visits 10 times a day sees something all the time doesn't mean that a new person has seen it at all. Forums in general can be daunting to new folks.

Perhaps better explanations on the main site would be helpful, I dunno.

I know exactly what you mean!! Why can't this bunch of usual suspects just keep quiet? It seems they have to post to every thread, no matter how much drivel they add to it, then they usually end up derailing it!

I'll tell ya what I'd like to see....a whole bunch of pictures of derailed trains that I can use when some of these people derail a thread!

Ever seen a derailment? Oh, they're nasty. There was one by my grandma's house back in 1976 when we spent a week there for the summer. Well, it wasn't really summer, closer to spring, but I remember it was hot. And grandma didn't have an air conditioner. She'd put a fan on a chair by the window and pull in the cool air at night. So there would be 13 of us grandkids all sleeping on the living room floor, fighting for the spot next to the window. I remember how many stars you could see out that window. It was a very small town, and they didn't have streetlights, so you could see all the stars. Most of the houses didn't even have bathrooms. I can still remember going out to the outhouse in the middle of the night. It was worse in the daytime when it was hot, though, because it really stunk. And there were wasps in there too. And spiders. I got stung by a wasp once in the outhouse. It really made me sick, too! Not as sick as I got from eating bad onionrings from Burger King a few years ago. Oh, that was terrible! I was up all night puking...in fact, I had it coming out both ends for about 48 hours. I got really dehydrated. Mom kept making me drink Gatorade just to try to keep my fluid level up. It was that green Gatorade, not that yucky fruit punch stuff. I've never really liked fruit punch flavored stuff. Except for bubble gum. Like the "Fruit Stripe" gum they used to make. That was good. I remember once we got some when we were kids, and I spit mine out in my sister's hair. She had really long hair, and mom had to cut a big chunk of it out. She told me she was going to put it in my meatloaf that night for supper and make me eat it. I hate meatloaf anyway. I once found a big wad of hair in a hamburger at McDonald's. That was gross!! It was all clumped up with the hamburger and stringy. I took it back to the counter and threw it at the person working there. I used to work fast food, and hated it. It was always hot in the back, and the floor was always greasy, so you slipped and slid all over when you tried to walk. Kind of like walking on ice, only worse, because it was so hot in there. Almost as hot as it was that summer when the train derailed by my grandma's house. But that's another story I'll tell some other time.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

That wasnt directed toward anyone specific - I agree that most of the time this is the case- Of course, I have seen times when it was done in a rude or nasty manner.

I have also noticed (sometimes) that by following the markwell, you often times wind up on page 8 of something like the muggles thread - Which is of course No help to the newbie. Reading all 8 pages of the old topic will not shed any "new" light on the subject.

maybe my new favorite should just be newbies starting redundant threads?

I have seen Markwells used in what could be interpreted as an offensive manner. Yet most of the time, I have viewed them as helpful, and that is true even if I would have worded them different.

What is funny is that I rarely Markwell. When I do, I still want to see the new reactions people will come up with. But in many cases the topic has been discussed alot and I figure that background would be helpful. When I made my rare Markwell recently I actually hesitated. I wondered if it would be taken wrong. I tried to word it so it wouldn't be, but then a response indicated that it was possibly taken negatively. Ack! Not what I wanted, yet I did want the original poster and new people reading to be able to get a historical background.

So it becomes a double edge sword. Should a person who has been here for some time pretend the topic is new and then also be quiet? Yet those same people have opinions or information that could be helpful. I do think that asking people who have been around for some time to stay out of dead horse topics is unrealistic. We can't help ourselves! And what is wrong with repeating our thoughts?

With that said, I figure a dead horse is not really dead until there are no original thoughts on the topic. On many occasions I have thought the horse was dead but then somone said something new. On others I have seen nothing new. I am always happy to read people's thoughts anyway though! :blink:

Pto

"Good point. Sometimes it seems some of the regulars Live for the chance to markwell someone, etc. I feel sometimes, those regulars could maybe just stay out of it, and let some fresh perspective into the discussion."

Well said.

Now my question:

Is Markwelling a verb or a noun?

MARKWELL [markwel] noun (plural markwells)

To be corrected to a subject already covered and closed. No other discussion may occur. If you are a newbie (see new geocacher) you will be Markwelled. You will not know this meaning.

transitive verb (past- markwelled, past participle -markwelled, present participle -markwelling)

As a verb-MARKWELL - (as in) "I Markwelled you in your last post. Don't you know when to quite and leave these forums to the professionals"

edit- sarcasm

Edited by zoltig

I don't have any particularly favorite dead horse topic, but any post in any thread where the poster does heavy generalizations about a group of people, or simply shows his/her ignorance by arguing with something totally irrelevant and incorrect always make me :lol:.

Hypocrisy's fun to observe too. :blink:

I have seen Markwells used in what could be interpreted as an offensive manner. Yet most of the time, I have viewed them as helpful, and that is true even if I would have worded them different.

There's pretty much two types of Markwells. The helpful kind where the poster points out a helpful thread where the question is currently being discussed, or where an answer has already been given.

Then there's the other kind which can pretty much be interpreted as "Stupid newbie! Didja even notice the search button on top of the page? If you had thought to use it, you might have found your answer here, here, here, or here. Now stop cluttering up my forums with your lame questions, loser."

I think the "Report" button is tailor-made for the second kind...

There's pretty much two types of Markwells. The helpful kind where the poster points out a helpful thread where the question is currently being discussed, or where an answer has already been given.

Then there's the other kind which can pretty much be interpreted as "Stupid newbie! Didja even notice the search button on top of the page? If you had thought to use it, you might have found your answer here, here, here, or here. Now stop cluttering up my forums with your lame questions, loser."

I think the "Report" button is tailor-made for the second kind...

Oh...I thought the report button was made for me....... :blink:

i like to be markwelled. i often forget where i've seen a thing or what it was called, but people often make up for the lapses in a way that a search does not. and i like to read what the regulars have to say. a certain amount of predictability feels right to me. helps me for a sense of the people behind the opinions if i get to read them in a variety of wordings and contexts.

hen there's the other kind which can pretty much be interpreted as "Stupid newbie! Didja even notice the search button on top of the page? If you had thought to use it, you might have found your answer here, here, here, or here. Now stop cluttering up my forums with your lame questions, loser."

Now Thats Funny! I just read one recently that was almost word for word - identical to that . . . .

Now, If I could only markwell myself. . . . . .