Feature Request: Watch Another Player

pack_78

I live in California and my parents back in Illinois just started geocaching recently. Although we keep up to date about our latest finds via phone, I think it would be great to have Geocaching.com send me notifications about Mom & Dad's latest adventures! :blink:

To do this, the site could offer the ability to "watch this player", just as you can currently watch caches, travel bugs, etc. Whenever that player made a log entry, you would receive an email notification with that entry.

To make it legit, when you add a player to your watchlist, the site would send an email to that player to let them know that you have added them to your watchlist.

The "watch this player" link could live on a player's profile page, just as a "watch this cache" link currently lives on a cache's page.

The feature would really engender a family and friends aspect to Geocaching and would be a fantastic addition.

Thoughts?

Edited by pack_78

Ahh, yep, thanks for the link!

I performed a search before making my post, but came up empty on that, which surprised me since it seemed like such an obvious feature to have. It's been 5 months since the idea was broached in the thread you linked to, and it appears that it had been suggested even prior to that at as well. Wonder if this will ever be implemented ... :blink:

Wonder if this will ever be implemented ... :tired:

I know. Sheesh. Jeremy seems to hardly implement anything.

Yeah what a slacker, I hear he's been off playing on some farm, or serving the farmer, then there was something about getting everyone a jeep, or something like that, I dunno. B):):)B)

He is such a lazy guy, isn't he? I bet he's playing with his computers all the time, instead of geocaching... He should take this great web site as an example for himself. There, the web masters rock. Lots of traffic, lots of requests by users, lots of changes, and yet, everything runs quite smoothly. Wonder how THEY do it... :)

Thanks, really appreciated. :)

HoPri

To make it legit, when you add a player to your watchlist, the site would send an email to that player to let them know that you have added them to your watchlist.

Let's adjust that just slightly:

To make it legit, the potential watched player must opt-IN by checking a box in their profile. If they choose to do so and are tagged for watching, when you add a player to your watchlist, the site would send an email to that player to let them know that you have added them to your watchlist.

The friends concept works this way.

User A sends a friend request. Will you be my friend?

User B receives friends request. Has the option to ignore, or say yes or no

User B says yes. A mutual friendship has occured.

User A or B can now watch each other. Either side can sever the friendship at any time.

Friends show up in the user's profile. If no friends, it says "This user has no friends"

Just kidding on the last bit, but when I was playing with the friendship implementation I had it say that.

I like the whole Idea about watchin other cachers, I have another question about watchlists. Is there any way or will there ever be a way to see Who is watchin you specific cache. If someone has one of your caches on their watch list I would like to know whos watchin it, rather than just seeing "3 users watchin this account".

I like the friends concept... very cool.

Perhaps there should be an option to block all friend requests... some members could get flooded.

It is easy to solve.

You can receive these requests in the weekly cache notificaion

;) when I first read the title of this thread my first though was ... "this could get real ugly" ... with stalking and such. Then I read on and see Jeremy's ideas already in motion and see there appears to be a nice workable solution for those that want it.

Thanks Jeremy.

Perhaps there should be an option to block all friend requests... some members could get flooded.

To extend Jeremy's terminology, I suppose your profile would say "I don't want any friends". :D

It could also mean I don't want to be unknowingly stalked. :P

Why must an opt out decision be equated to a decision of not having or wanting any friends? I dislike conditional friendships. If the condition to you being my friend means I have to let you watch me; then so long friend.

If this feature were to be implemented, I would want the option to opt out. Let it be my decision to be watched or not by my personal contact list and not by some anonymous uncontrollable means.

If this feature were to be implemented, I would want the option to opt out. Let it be my decision to be watched or not by my personal contact list and not by some anonymous uncontrollable means.

Good point. Only change I'd make is that I would want it to be on an opt in basis. This isn't the sort of thing that you would want to implement by default.

To extend Jeremy's terminology, I suppose your profile would say "I don't want any friends". :D

Why must an opt out decision be equated to a decision of not having or wanting any friends? I dislike conditional friendships. If the condition to you being my friend means I have to let you watch me; then so long friend.

Sheesh, next thing we'll ask Jeremy to install a chat program. Are there no more urgent features that need to be implemented? Why overburden the site with "features" that everyone can either do manually or automatically on their own?

I have nothing to hide (well, except for caches :D), but if someone wants information about me, let them go and get it actively, not passively. It's all out there, on my Recent Finds page. Someone already said it before: if you want to watch someone, bookmark their Finds list. You can even have your own browser send you a message when the data on that page changes.

Edited to add: the reason I quoted TL in the first place was to say that I entirely agree. I just forgot to say it :P

Edited by Shunra

"If"...and ONLY "if" it was agreed to by BOTH parties, I would say, "cool idea"....

Otherwise, forget it...too much potential for unwanted tracking.

The friends concept works this way.

User A sends a friend request. Will you be my friend?

User B receives friends request. Has the option to ignore, or say yes or no

User B says yes. A mutual friendship has occured.

User A or B can now watch each other. Either side can sever the friendship at any time.

Friends show up in the user's profile. If no friends, it says "This user has no friends"

Just kidding on the last bit, but when I was playing with the friendship implementation I had it say that.

For those of you who reply without reading the past posts...

I like this idea with the implementation that Jeremy described! This allows "friends" to easily keep "up to date" on another cacher's logs, yet also addresses privacy concerns by requiring friends to be "opt-in."

--ken

I agree Jeremy's description with a opt-in is pretty much a perfect solution to this request. <fingers crossed>

Thorin