Ridin The Iron Horse Event

MarcusArelius

I'd love to do this, but for three very good reasons.

1) I don't own a bike (I could probably rent one someplace or other)

2) I have not ridden one in 45 years or so (I know you never forget)

3) I will be out of town that day (nothing I can do about that one)

Since a few people asked I thought it would be prudent to set a common drop off point at the end of the ride so I just added this text to the cache page:

I would suggest that people meet up to drop cars and transfer bikes at the outlet store parking lot around 8AM. It's right off exit 31 about N47 29.520 W121 47.835.

Let's see if I have this right: Leave on trip at 9am, lunch at 1pm, ;) hmm..., 15 minutes per cache would be 3 hours so inbetween caches we will be doing 25 MPH! ;) Ouch, on a dirt track even! How am I supposed to watch the GPSr at that speed, not to mention the hot brakes at each stop. :lol:

Let's see if I have this right: Leave on trip at 9am, lunch at 1pm, ;) hmm..., 15 minutes per cache would be 3 hours so inbetween caches we will be doing 25 MPH! :lol: Ouch, on a dirt track even! How am I supposed to watch the GPSr at that speed, not to mention the hot brakes at each stop. ;)

It may take longer. I can't recall how long it took the last time I did it. I didn't remember to consider there would be 5 more caches this time. However, the caches that I have done are not hard hides and we will have many eyes looking.

I guess the options are to bring a snack, or stop at Rattlesnake lake to picnic.

Let's see if I have this right:  Leave on trip at 9am, lunch at 1pm,  :lol: hmm..., 15 minutes per cache would be 3 hours so inbetween caches we will be doing 25 MPH!  :lol:  Ouch, on a dirt track even!  How am I supposed to watch the GPSr at that speed, not to mention the hot brakes at each stop.  <_<

It may take longer. I can't recall how long it took the last time I did it. I didn't remember to consider there would be 5 more caches this time. However, the caches that I have done are not hard hides and we will have many eyes looking.

I guess the options are to bring a snack, or stop at Rattlesnake lake to picnic.

I have a quick cache for you guys at Rattlesnake Lake...Rattlesnake Cache

I am packing a lunch just in case. My wife's hiking partner bailed so I am flying solo. Three seats and bike mount open coming from West Seattle. Nobody has mentioned it, but I think a forest pass or five bucks in needed at the trailhead at the top. Peace, Nolenator

Edited by nolenator
I am packing a lunch just in case. My wife's hiking partner bailed so I am flying solo. Three seats and bike mount open coming from West Seattle. Nobody has mentioned it, but I think a forest pass or five bucks in needed at the trailhead at the top. Peace, Nolenator

I was still planning on eating in North Bend in someplace warm. I hope people eat a good breakfast and/or bring a snack.

About the parking I thought I read on the park web site that you only needed the forest pass during the winter.

See ya all in the morning. We can work out the details then.

Boy was I floored when almost 30 folks showed up for this event on a rainy holiday weekend with only a weeks notice.

Wow, I had fun even if it was a little on the wet side. At least we didn't get struck by lightning or sucked up by a tornado!

I can't wait to see the pictures, especially Nolenator standing thigh deep in the water!

The end was great too, I hope Runhills isn't the jealous type :(

Thanks, Mark, for arranging this! It was great fun - meeting new folks; hobnobbing with old, er, familiar folks; trying to get my hands on the Precious (coin). Agree with Jester - "Raining the Iron Horse" is the perfect name for this one!

I hope there will be more of these impromptu outdoor-oriented events. Everyone just pick a hike/bike trip they want to do with a few caches along it, and voila!

I just went through all the logs! Yikes Jester! What's up with those flats? Tires too skinny? Looked like it was fun for all!

I was cursed by the Moun10Bike Madness coin because I was riding a road bike. Yes, it has skinny tires, but I had gone over half way before any problems, and then the next several miles were hard on my rear tube. And no, it wasn't an old tube, at the first flat I changed it. BEWARE THE CURSE! B):D:o