Gsak Vs Easgps??

EasyGPS is a waypoint management program. GSAK, on the other hand is a geocache management program.

GSAK is specifically taylored to geocachers, to use the Geocaching.com's pocket queries to their fullest extent. It enables you to filter caches by distance, difficulty, owner, etc, and export the data to a variety of mapping programs, or to your GPSr.

Download both for free and try them out. You will find GSAK much more powerful for managing geocaching data. You must be a premium member (and receive GPX pocket queries) to realize its full potential though.

GSAK Expires. That's rather annoying when it's working fine and it up and says "Sorry there bucko, update even though you are in the middle of nowhere"

EasyGPS doesn't do much but it does it very well. It also doesn't expire.

?????????????????????

What do you mean it "expires"

Forgive me if this is some "on going joke". I am working on 3 hours sleep <_<

GSAK wins hands down over EasyGPS in terms of waypoint management and export capability. The interface to GSAK could use a little work in my opinion but in terms of capability there isn't much out there that can compete unless you are willing to use gpsbabel which has only a command line interface.

On the other hand ExpertGPS blows away GSAK in terms of its ability to work with orthos, topos, and scanned maps. To do the equivalent with GSAK you would need to use OziExplorer. The integration is kind of clunky from my experience. Ozi doesn't have the direct integration with the Terraserver so maps have to be downloaded manually -- a real pain.

My solution, I use both. I use GSAK to manage a large offline cache database on my laptop which I update with pocket queries once a week. I use it to generate .gpx files to load into and view in ExpertGPS and .pdb files to put on my Palm to use in the field.

GO$Rs

RK, you must have been using a beta. I've been using GSAK since version 1, and I've never seen it 'expire', even with betas. I can see having betas expire eventually, because, well, they're betas. Get a release version, and it will never expire.

Strange. I've had it installed all of about a month or two. I'd give a version number but the "It's expired" button doesn't give out a version.

RK, you must have been using a beta. I've been using GSAK since version 1, and I've never seen it 'expire', even with betas. I can see having betas expire eventually, because, well, they're betas. Get a release version, and it will never expire.

Yes, the beta's do expire. The regular versions do not.

--RuffRidr

I'm almost positive that EasyGPS doesn't let you modify your notes page on the upload to your 60C/S.

I mean...

I now have cache name, the GCXXXX name, Ter./Dif levels, and Type and Size of container all on the notes page of the waypoint.