Laptop Causing Gps Signal Interference

Has anyone ever had the problem like mine? When I turn on my laptop, I lose my GPSr signal and can't pick up any satelites. I can only guess that the laptop is putting out some kind of interference. Anyone in the know out there can share your experience with me so hopefully I can fix this.

Has anyone ever had the problem like mine? When I turn on my laptop, I lose my GPSr signal and can't pick up any satelites. I can only guess that the laptop is putting out some kind of interference. Anyone in the know out there can share your experience with me so hopefully I can fix this.

Is your laptop wireless or bluetooth enabled? Those are the only two features I would think would transmit enough power to affect it. Try disabling them if they are. If that doesn't work, then I am guessing you probably have a bad power supply which is causing a 60cycle "buzz" and messing things up. The same would probably be true of the CD player. The most likely cause there would be a bad ground.

How close to your laptop is your GPSr when it is affected. Have you moved it away some and see if it works OK. Is there anything plugged into your laptop when this happens, such as power supply, mouse, USB cables, your GPSr cable.

Make sure that all of your cables have ferrite beads, especially your GPSr cable. As I recall, my Garmin cable has one built-in, my Meridian cable does not. The bead is a lump you see in many cables attached to devices. The bead should be as close to the computer as possible. You can get snap-on beads that you can attach to any cable. They act as a resister to radio frequency interference that often travels along cables and are released as if an antenna.

Computers generate a large amount of RF, as I have seen at my desk computer next to my High Frequency (short wave) receiver. I have put ferrites on every cable, including keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. The reduction in noise is substantial.

I dont have the gpsr pluged into the laptop, nor do I have any kind of wifi devices enabled. I just have the laptop running on battery power. If I put the laptop in the back seat it still causes problems, just not so much. It must be just something in my laptop causing some noise. I guess I can live with it. Its just nice to be able to look at PQ in the car and not have the gpsr go out while doing it. (not driving of course)

In my previous reply, I mentioned ferrites on cables existing a computer, because this prevents these cables from being an effective antenna transmitting interference. This usually cuts down the interference enough to stop it.

If you are getting interference without cables, your laptop is generating radio interference in sufficient amount and at a frequency to cause problems.

You could try a different brand GPSr. The only other thing that could help is using an external antenna for your GPSr, or increasing the distance of the computer, or putting the computer in a mesh cage, grounded to the body of the car......

Has anyone ever had the problem like mine?  When I turn on my laptop, I lose my GPSr signal and can't pick up any satelites.  I can only guess that the laptop is putting out some kind of interference.  Anyone in the know out there can share your experience with me so hopefully I can fix this.

Is your laptop wireless or bluetooth enabled? Those are the only two features I would think would transmit enough power to affect it. Try disabling them if they are. If that doesn't work, then I am guessing you probably have a bad power supply which is causing a 60cycle "buzz" and messing things up. The same would probably be true of the CD player. The most likely cause there would be a bad ground.

My guess would also be the power supply, My desktops power supply was messing broadcast am radio into the street in front of my house untill I replaced the power supply. Computers can put out quite a bit of RFI. This is why electronic devices are required to be FCC compliant. :laughing:

IV_Warrior:

I'll bet you do not have the same laptop/GPSr combo that GHOTI123 has. I have had many desktop and laptops and some produce a great deal of RFI. I have heard it cause interference on LF, HF, VHF and UHF (weak signal) bands.

It sounds like GHOTI123 has identified that it is his laptop (by moving it and turning it on/off.) Not much more he can do.

I've had 2 different laptops, and 3 different GPS units (Garmin Etrex Vista, Magellan Meridian Gold, and Delorme Earthmate USB) and haven't seen a problem. Laptops were sometimes running on battery power, and sometimes running off an inverter......

I'll your lap tops are not defective