Geo Cachers Find Another Body

Actually the woman was murdered. The cachers who found her were a father and son - the boy is only 12 years old. It's been pretty rough. We've been working with the police and they seem pretty grateful for the geocaching communities help.

The interest and discussion is cool - just keep in mind that a woman is dead, a man is in jail and a father and son have a lot to deal with. Be sensitive.

I guess with the geocachers frequenting the area, it was easier to place time of death.  It's just been a fear of mine that maybe a cache is some kind of death trap, you know?  I'm sure we've all thought of that.

Huh? ;) I dont get it. You mean like people waiting to kill cachers, or what?

Edited by Beta Test

Disturbing, yes, but possible. I had that discussion with one of my passengers one night after I'd explained my obsession/hobby. The first question she asked was "What about someone booby trapping it?"

Of course, most of the time terrorists aren't after somebody walking in the woods. Less shock value, as it were.

Edited for: Speeling :unsure:

Edited by E = Mc2
Disturbing, yes, but possible. I had that discussion with one of my passengers one night after I'd explained my obsession/hobby. The first question she asked was "What about someone booby trapping it?"

Of course, most of the time terrorists aren't after somebody walking in the woods. Less shock value, as it were.

that's why i never go for FTF. :unsure:

besides, with almost 105k caches, none have been booby-trapped to that extreme. some are just booby-trapped to make noises, etc.

I mean somone setting up a cache for someone to find, the cachers go and they shoot you, or you lift up a rock and a bomb goes off. It could be a movie . . .

It could be a movie. Jason Goes Caching. At least one couple would get lucky in the opening scence though they would join the star treck red shirts soon enough.

Jason Goes Caching sounds too dorky, maybe it couldn't be a movie after all.

Here is an update in today's Sun Sentinel:

"Bassmedic"

PBSO charges man in strangulation at Gulfstream Park

By Akilah Johnson

Staff Writer

June 30, 2004

A man already in jail on unrelated charges had sexual battery and first-degree murder added to the list Tuesday in the rape and killing of Lisa Merola earlier this month.

Using DNA and other evidence, investigators determined Michael Trammell, 32, appears to be the man who raped and strangled Merola and left her half-dressed body in a wooded area in Gulfstream Park after a violent struggle.

A father and son on a scavenger hunt discovered her body June 13. She was lying on her back and wearing a pink T-shirt that said, "It's all about me." Near her was a pair of clear plastic shoes and a pair of jeans, the arrest report said.

Merola, 37, and Trammell both were staying at the Ann Marie Motel in Boynton Beach. She and her boyfriend in room No. 1; he and his wife in room No. 5. The couples met at the pool three days before her death, the report said.

About 3 a.m. on June 10, the couples went back to Trammell's room for a "swinger party," but Merola eventually became uncomfortable and left, the report said.

The next day, Merola and her boyfriend Gregg Winterbottom were evicted and spent the night on the street, the report said. Winterbottom told investigators he last saw his girlfriend the morning of June 12. She was getting into Trammell's pickup truck in front of the Dunkin Donuts at 1317 Federal Highway.

Winterbottom, 43, was arrested June 13 on an unrelated charge.

On June 14, Trammell was arrested on outstanding warrants for violating his probation on issuing worthless checks charges and for not showing up in court on several battery charges, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement records.

When investigators asked about Merola, Trammell denied picking her up from the doughnut shop. He is being held in the Palm Beach County Jail without bond.

Akilah Johnson can be reached at akjohnson@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6645.

Copyright © 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...=sfla-news-palm

Possible attacks through geocaches is part of reason why in IL state parks here are now rules about what and how to place caches. Caches must be registered and the containers have to have clear view of the contents inside etc. I am new to this geocaching but daughter and son in law have been doing for some time and they say the rules affected the numbers of caches in state parks drastically. <_<

I'm sorry, but I don't see how registering a cache and only using a clear container makes it any less likely that a _cacher_ might be attacked. I can see a agency wanting to regulate caching implementing both those measures, but neither one helps protect cachers from muggers or other assailants. And while we're on the subject, why do cachers _need_ any more protection than hikers, joggers, or bikers?

Possible attacks through geocaches is part of reason why in IL state parks here are now rules about what and how to place caches. Caches must be registered and the containers have to have clear view of the contents inside etc. I am new to this geocaching but daughter and son in law have been doing for some time and they say the rules affected the numbers of caches in state parks drastically. :D

Sounds like Geocaching is being blamed for attacks in some areas. This is crazy ... a non-cacher can be attacked simply walking down the street or hiking in remote National Forrest areas. Many cachers are so aware of the Muggle issue that they are generally pretty aware of what is going on around them.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how registering a cache and only using a clear container makes it any less likely that a _cacher_ might be attacked. I can see a agency wanting to regulate caching implementing both those measures, but neither one helps protect cachers from muggers or other assailants. And while we're on the subject, why do cachers _need_ any more protection than hikers, joggers, or bikers?

There are also such things as passive attacks, which is whst I believe the person who brought it up was referring to. IE: Caches set to explode upon opening ala unibomber. Clear containers would certainly be beneficial to help prevent such attacks. (don't open it if you see a battery and wires inside). As such, the measure CAN protect persons from would be assailants. The concern is not necessarily with personal attacks by muggers and the like. Remember the random pipe bombs placed in mail boxes across America a couple years back?

Edited by sui generis

There are also such things as passive attacks, which is whst I believe the person who brought it up was referring to. IE: Caches set to explode upon opening ala unibomber. Clear containers would certainly be beneficial to help prevent such attacks. (don't open it if you see a battery and wires inside). As such, the measure CAN protect persons from would be assailants. The concern is not necessarily with personal attacks by muggers and the like. Remember the random pipe bombs placed in mail boxes across America a couple years back?

I guess you are saying we should make our mailboxes out of clear plastic also, right?

I never have been quite able to figure out which I think is worse, people who would intentionaly harm other innocent people or people who are so paranoid that they put those ideas out there for the first idiot that is a few sandwiches shy of a picnic to stumble on. Personally I have never even thought of the possibility of such a thing. If somebody has that dismal a view of their fellow man maybe they ought to donate their GPSr to someone else and just stay home with the blinds closed checking to make sure their doors are locked ever 15 minutes or so.

I'm not trying to walk through life with blinders on and do know that there are people out there that will do harm to innocents (9/11 for example). I think we might all be better off however, if we tried not to waste our energy and time being worried about what some deranged idiot might do with a new GPSr and his junior terrorist kit.

I guess you are saying we should make our mailboxes out of clear plastic also, right?

While we're at it maybe clothes should be made out of clear plastic too. That way people can't carry hidden knives and guns.

Now that I think about it, there are better reason for clear plastic clothes than that. :unsure:

no the close thing wount work cause someone would just make clear plasic knives and guns. To me im more wored about lighting hitting me then some nut that has enough time to make a bomb find a good cache place it and wait. That seams like a lot of work for a crazy person to do. Yes I know the unabomer did it and many other people but they usaly were politicly motivated. I know were the bane of hikers and cavers anywhere but im shure they have better things to do then booby trap a cache

Remember the random pipe bombs placed in mail boxes across America a couple years back?

Yes I do, he came through my area, so I can speak first hand to the physiological affects. While it was uncomfortable having to open my mailbox with a 20ft rope wondering if there was a bomb in it, I’ll have to quote briansnat's response to:

I'm sure we've all thought of that [sic] possibility.

"No, I haven't."

And add

"And I won't"

I refuse to walk through life worried about every remote possibility that something bad might happen.

Edited by Elf Danach

I'm not paranoid about bombs and didn't initially bring it up. Just explaining why the clear containers were suggested, which had nothing to do with muggers as the person I quoted suggested. Is it possible it could happen? Yes. Is it probable? No. Is it likely that those who like to whine and behave rudely while hiding behind pseudonyms will jump on their soap boxes regardless and state how the rest of the world is stupid and they refuse to live in fear? 100% probability.

Quite frankly, I worry more about sticking my hand up hollow trees where I may suprise some animal and get bit.

I hear you and agree. I wasn't referring to your position but rather the incident regarding the mailbox bombings.

I don't balk at a park requiring caches be placed in clear containers if that is what they wish. There are some things that can be done to assist in safety, but we shouldn't go overboard on what-ifs.

Remote possibilities are one thing, common threats are another.

Edited by Elf Danach
I mean somone setting up a cache for someone to find, the cachers go and they shoot you, or you lift up a rock and a bomb goes off.  It could be a movie . . .

Does that mean I shouldn't use this as a cache container?

Claymoremine.jpg

i think the containers ok but the BB's in it might cause a chokeing hazard

I'm sorry but bombers usually have egos and want results.

Booby-trapping a geocache would be silly as having to wait an indeterminate amount of time for questionable results would be pointless.

Also, what message is being delivered? To whom?

If you think about it, it makes no sense (yes, even supposed "senseless" crimes have underlying motivations).

OTOH, clear containers don't make any sense either. Nobody I know looks inside before opening, heck, I leave without even knowing the contents if the logbook's on top. A bomb would be within an opaque covering anyway inside the clear container (you need shrapnel to maximize damage).

Silly--whatever happened to reason?

Aristotle would be mad.

Randy

This makes the third or fourth body cachers have found. At least one was a suicide. :o

That would be moi who found the suicide.

In now way will I succumb to the fear that a cache I seek is going to contain a boobytrap explosive or a punji pit nearby. To cave into the fear that the gov't. uses to impose new laws/acts on the public is the day that they've won, with only one major attack necessary to accomplish said goal.