Tb Handoff - Possible New Feature

Markwell

I've been musing about an idea for some time now - ever since I handed off a travel bug to someone else and we were no where near a cache.

Would it be possible to add a feature that if you are handing a travel bug off to another person to add coordinates for that transfer?

It's not a problem if it's done at an event or something like that, but let's say I'm going to meet another local cacher that happens to be able to get the bug closer to the goal. I'm meeting him at Nabby's at 902 N Michigan St, Plainfield, IL. I can determine from Maporama that the coords are 41.6133, -88.2011 and verify them with Lostoutdoors.com as actually 41.613944, -88.202047 (or I could mark the coords with my GPS at the handoff - whatever).

Wouldn't it be nifty to be able to track that handoff location without an actual transfer in and out of a cache?

I know there are some workarounds possible with using unapproved archived cache pages, etc. I'm looking for the possibility of an above-the-board addition to the Travel Bug logging.

Thought?

I may be wrong but isn't this a feature already? I "grabbed" two YJTB's from the owner this morning. No cache in sight.

Thats not what he is saying.

I think Marwell wants to add a location to the hand-off or "grab" so the TB can get mileage credit.

Edited by Nappy10

Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't it get more attention (With who counts) on the Website forum? I like the idea. I picked up a YJTB at an event cache that wasn't dropped there, so I had to grab it. Alright, I should have dropped it and retrieved it, but as a newbe, didn't know better. Also lost the paper I wrote the code on so I can't go back and post a note for it. Now it's milage is a little short.

:(

I've done what you're asking for by dropping it off in the nearest cache to wherever we exchanged the TB.

But I can see the reasoning behind the request as it more accurately represents the travel. Though in the end, wouldn't it receive the same amount of travel anyway assuming the tradeoff point was between the previous and next cache location?

If they added the ability to post coordinates when logging TB movement you could do exchanges without having to have it in a cache. But doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a TB in the first place? To me a TB's goal is to move from cache to cache on its mission not from cache to 123 Main Street, Anytown USA and then to a cache.

Zack

I have a TB that is going out (as soon as the store gets more in dange backorders). That is to be passed between people, the concept is we are all friends of each other, its to be handed from one person to another, and go around the world. To show we all know each other through somebody. Its an attempt to give peace a chance and stoop with the wars and terrorist attacks etc. (I keep telling myself that every little bit helps so this is my bit to help). After all would you be willing to shoot your friend, or what if its a firend of a friend? So anyways the bug will be passed from person to person, but it is to NOT be left in a cache.

i am also looking at creating a hitchhiker bug of sorts. The bug is to be attached to your vehichle, either on the antanae, or bumber, Not sure yet as I don't want people to dmage their or someone elses bug. But if you happen upon the bug (you see it on someones car, you can take it from them. And you then place it on your vehicle.) Still trying to work that one out as I can see it getting lost real fast.

Another Bug I am looking to do is to paint the Travel bug icon on a wheel cover for the spare tire on my Jeep. Then create a bug called "Where am I?" This is sort of like a locationless/moving cache. But it is a travelling bug. To get credit for taking the bug you will have to specify where I was at what time. Either Streeeet names or long/lat measurements. This bug fits with my Liscense plates as it reads "GOT A MAP". Since I am always lost it seems. An example would be I saw bug traveling South on I71 at 8:20 am near the Turnpike 80 Exit.

All of these ideas have no connection to caches. But then I am also just trying to come up with something different. A travel bug to me is any object that moves and is tracked, whether in a cache or not.

Edited by Dream Alchemist

I agree with Markwell on this one it would be great to be able to show a chain of possession as well as the actual routing. I once had a bug that was trying to reach a certain location by christmas for a little girl. the bug was woefully far from home. So a few cachers along the route were able to set up a person to person hand-off and we got the bug to the little girl on Christmas Eve. Fom Central Florida to North Carolina in 2 days and one happy little girl. the mileage probably wasn't correct but she was happy to see her bug.

Yes, I am all for it, too!

As discussed in other threads, both cache-to-cache and cacher-to-cacher are "legal" TB traveling options already supported by GC (unless stated otherwise by individual TB owners). However, the cacher-to-cacher handover does not calculate the miles at all.

So far I also practiced such handovers using a nearby cache - but being able to specifiy coordinates would make the process "cleaner".

Olaf