Another Pocket Query Question

ThePropers

I have a pocket query set up for my zip code to return 475 caches of any difficulty and terain within a radius of 40 miles.

However, I was out caching last night with a friend, and he had one in his GPS that I didn't. It turned out to be a simple traditional 1/1, but it's well within my result range (8.9 miles from my house).

I have no idea why this wasn't returned in my pocket query. It's the first one I've ever noticed not being returned, but I'm now afraid there may be more.

Any idea why this wouldn't be returned? (I've triple checked my pocket query settings).

Oh, here is the cache, if it matters.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d5-8bb166e23cc9

Edited by ThePropers

If you go to Your PQs and click on Preview for the PQ in question, does that cache show up there?

What are you loading the PQ into? Maybe it has an issue loading that particular cache.

What zip code do you have entered? I can try on my end to see if it gets output to the PQ and then loads into GSAK.

Not sure what your zipcode is, but you said you live near that cache.

I count close to 700 caches within 40 miles of that cache. You limited it to 475, so you're missing a few hundred caches.

You need to either cut back on the distance, or filter some other criteria to get down below the 475 max you specified, or you will always be missing caches.

No, it doesn't show up if I just preview the query.

Now that I've found it, I can switch my pocket query to show the ones I've found, and it does show up there. I just don't understand why it wasn't in my pocket query when I hadn't found it though.

I am loading the gpx file into GSAK. It's not a problem with that though, since I have a limit of 475 set and it loads all 475 in the file.

I also assume that because I have the 475 limit and my radius is set to 40 miles, that it would return the one 8.9 miles away before the other ones that are 40 miles away....so I wouldn't think it's a problem where it just wasn't returned because the 475 limit was met before it pulled that one. Does that make sense?

Like I said, it's the first one I've ever noticed like that. When my buddy pulled it up, I had never even heard of it, which I thought was odd. Unfortunately I don't have my old pocket queries to see if it was ever returned, but I figure if it was, I'd have recognized the name seeing as how it's so close to my house.

Not sure what your zipcode is, but you said you live near that cache.

I count close to 700 caches within 40 miles of that cache. You limited it to 475, so you're missing a few hundred caches.

You need to either cut back on the distance, or filter some other criteria to get down below the 475 max you specified, or you will always be missing caches.

So does that mean it might return a cache 40 miles away from me, but not one 8.9 miles away because of the limit?

I figured it started in the middle of the zip code (17078) and worked it's way out from there, returning all the caches from the closest to the furthest...if it was going to not return caches because of the limit, I figured the cutoff (and missing caches) would be the ones out at the 35-40 mile range.

I also assume that because I have the 475 limit and my radius is set to 40 miles, that it would return the one 8.9 miles away before the other ones that are 40 miles away....so I wouldn't think it's a problem where it just wasn't returned because the 475 limit was met before it pulled that one.  Does that make sense?

Makes sense, but in this case I think you assumed wrong.

As far as I can tell, the way the PQ works is it requests all the caches that fit your parameters. That is, if your search returns 700 caches, then the PQ looks at all 700 caches. Since you limited it to 475 (and the max is 500) it then sends you the first 475 caches by ID (this makes sense since that's how they would be stored in the database) that are in the search. That means you get the 475 oldest caches, not the 475 closest.

Edited by Mopar

I also assume that because I have the 475 limit and my radius is set to 40 miles, that it would return the one 8.9 miles away before the other ones that are 40 miles away....so I wouldn't think it's a problem where it just wasn't returned because the 475 limit was met before it pulled that one.  Does that make sense?

Makes sense, but in this case I think you assumed wrong.

As far as I can tell, the way the PQ works is it requests all the caches that fit your parameters. That is, if your search returns 700 caches, then the PQ looks at all 700 caches. Since you limited it to 475 (and the max is 500) it then sends you the first 475 caches by ID that are in the search. That means you get the 475 oldest caches, not the 475 closest.

Well, that'll teach me for assuming! :(

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Since you limited it to 475 (and the max is 500) it then sends you the first 475 caches by ID (this makes sense since that's how they would be stored in the database) that are in the search. That means you get the 475 oldest caches, not the 475 closest.

I don't see that behavior on my PQs. I have a PQ setup for my zip code to show the 500 closest caches in 50 miles.

What I get are the 500 closest caches to me, not the 500 oldest caches. In fact, there's 2 new caches within 10 miles of me that just showed up while there are no caches outside of 30 miles since all 500 caches produced are within a 30 mile radius from my zip code.

Edit: Actually... I just looked and my criteria is 500 cahches not found within 50 miles from a specified Lat/Long. I didn't use my zip code but my homes lat/long. Don't know if that makes any difference.

David

Edited by Team DEMP