Geocaching Badges Of Honor

My sister, MtnFrog just stitched my Four Cache Loop patch onto my daypack. I got it back in May.

53504_500.jpg

In S.E. Texas and most of the rest of the state, THAT PATCH is a much coveted item. The ONLY way to get one is to conquer Four Cache Loop by Ty Dolney.

With the assistance my sister and bro-in-law, (MtnFrog and Camel - locals) I created an offroad adventure series here in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. The badge of honor here is to beat the fastest time and the bonus cache is named for your team. (Currently Flatiron & Mrs. Wrangler's Mammoth Bonus Cache. Time to beat: 4 hrs 48 min. :tired: )

What other badges of honor exist out there???

SNOOGAV.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Bill & Gary's Excellent Adventure III, in southern Michigan is very coveted. We didn't start geocaching until after B & G II had finished but people wait for it to start every year! Can't wait til B & G IV !!!!

We are also the only ones to complete all 13 Huron -Clinton Metroparks sponsored caches in one day. It took 14 hours and 300 miles of driving, we had 5 FTF's and the last one was our 100th find!!!! :(:(

Metroparks

Bill & Gary III

These are badge worthy caches but no actual badges. For the Metroparks you get an annual parking pass and for B & G you get a t-shirt.

Edited by Two Geeks and a GPS

badge.jpg

I earned this badge of honor searching for a geocache back in October. I was borrowing my wife's new Tahoe at the time and had to take particular precautions to make sure I didn't leak all over it. (Edit: That's my right shin/calf in the photo...)

Edited by n6mhg
Among Groundspeak volunteers, there is a very, very special badge of honor that can only be earned upon passing a rigorous initiation ritual.  I could tell you what S.O.L.P. stands for, or what must be done to earn it, but then I'd have to kill you.

4091b4f3-c445-4c32-acd7-0dc59630fe76.jpg

It's a forum moderator badge.

Its earned from having actually moderated a known forum aggravator.

In the mod only forums you use it like this. "Did you have to mod the SLOP?”

It means "Same Old Losers Participating" Definitely a rite of initiation. It's also a dyslexic thing...

Edited by Renegade Knight
Among Groundspeak volunteers, there is a very, very special badge of honor that can only be earned upon passing a rigorous initiation ritual.  I could tell you what S.O.L.P. stands for, or what must be done to earn it, but then I'd have to kill you.

4091b4f3-c445-4c32-acd7-0dc59630fe76.jpg

It's a forum moderator badge.

Its earned from having actually moderated a known forum aggravator.

In the mod only forums you use it like this. "Did you have to mod the SLOP?”

It means "Same Old Losers Participating" Definitely a rite of initiation. It's also a dyslexic thing...

ROFL! I gotta hand it to you, RK, that is *way* funnier than the real meaning!

But no, the S.O.L.P. is not specific to forum moderating.

[There will be more now that you have panted the seed of an idea in a lot of heads.

OK, now that's a funny typo to read just before I guessed:

Soiled Olde Ladies Panties-

You have to camp out wearing a pair. :(

it's just a wacky and wierd mod/approver hazing ritual. :(

There should be a badge for completing Tour de Crabtree. It's a double digit stage multi micro hunt that takes you on a full loop of Lake Crabtree. The walk alone could take 6-8 hours, if you didn't stop to hunt micros. As if that wasn't enough work, each one containes two sets of coordinates, and a hint for the next stage. Since you know you are making a loop it isn't too hard to discard the false coords though.

My sister, MtnFrog just stitched my Four Cache Loop patch onto my daypack. I got it back in May.

In S.E. Texas and most of the rest of the state, THAT PATCH is a much coveted item. The ONLY way to get one is to conquer Four Cache Loop by Ty Dolney.

That's a great patch. I've seen some nice buttons out there, but your post prompted some questions:

1. How much more expensive (on average) would it be to create a patch than a button as a prize for an end of series cache?

2. Do most cachers prefer patches over buttons as a prize?

3. I know of bumble buttons, but wondered if there was a good source for patches?

Speaking of patches.... :huh: Can anyone provide some information on attaching them?

I'm looking at the patches on the geocaching.com Gear Shop and I'd like to get a couple.

The problem is that I'm not sure if it can be applied to the jacket/shirt that I want.

I'm not very good at sewing so I would probably try for the heat transfer method. The jacket that I'm looking to put it on has a 100% polyester shell. And the shirt is a blend of 60% polyester and 40% cotton. Would these items take the iron on method? Would they melt? Would I have to sew them on. Can they be sewn on to these items.

I'm just full of questions.

Or does anyone have any links to sites that give detailed instructions on how to attach patches?

Thanks,

-John

894e58e9-d397-44e5-99eb-35dc4cd0fd5a.jpg

Thats kinda cool. I think that would be a great addition to the Groundspeak merchandise store too!

Snoogans, we're very proud to have our Four Cache Loop patch too. Just havnt found the jacket, hat, or other piece of clothing that i want to attach it to yet!!!

By the way, you should have did something like this with your Quantum Leap cache. :huh:

Speaking of patches.... <_<  Can anyone provide some information on attaching them?

I'm looking at the patches on the geocaching.com Gear Shop and I'd like to get a couple.

The problem is that I'm not sure if it can be applied to the jacket/shirt that I want.

I'm not very good at sewing so I would probably try for the heat transfer method.  The jacket that I'm looking to put it on has a 100% polyester shell.  And the shirt is a blend of 60% polyester and 40% cotton.    Would these items take the iron on method? Would they melt?  Would I have to sew them on.  Can they be sewn on to these items.

I'm just full of questions. 

Or does anyone have any links to sites that give detailed instructions on how to attach patches? 

Thanks,

-John

You'll melt tho polyester shell.

Besides, iron-ons eventually peel.

If you cannot stich it on, and you don't know anyone who will help, take it to a full service dry cleaner and they can sew it on for a price.

Edited by DustyJacket

You'll melt tho polyester shell.

Besides, iron-ons eventually peel.

If you cannot stich it on, and you don't know anyone who will help, take it to a full service dry cleaner and they can sew it on for a price.

I was thinking that it would melt the polyester. But you don't know until you try it or ask someone who knows. <_<

Thanks for the information. I'll go with the stitching method and I hadn't thougt of the Full Service Dry cleaners. There is one just down the street. I'll go that route.

Thanks for the help!!!

yes, it would be very good if we had very large patches to announce our acheivements that people could stitch on their clothing. that way it will make it much, much easier for me to avoid that sort of person at the party.

some of these jokers have business card printed up that announce their accomplishments, and i like those because a guy that's handing me a card is much easier to avoid at first meeting than somebody it takes a few minutes to realize is a first-class weenie, thereby saving me some time.

i'd very much like a patch from some of the really hard coveted caches, but you'd find it on my wall, on display in the basement, in my room that nobody goes in but me. it's where i keep all of my geocaching trophies.

ironically, i keep my bicycle trophies on my file cabinet at work because oddly, it seems to help me professionally.

yes, it would be very good if we had very large patches to announce our acheivements that people could stitch on their clothing. that way it will make it much, much easier for me to avoid that sort of person at the party.

some of these jokers have business card printed up that announce their accomplishments, and i like those because a guy that's handing me a card is much easier to avoid at first meeting than somebody it takes a few minutes to realize is a first-class weenie, thereby saving me some time.

Your remarks above are definitely insulting for some. Why do you believe that seeing a stat card or patch automatically makes the person that owns it a weenie? I dont have cards printed out with that info but i sure as heck dont see any problem with anyone doing that. As far as "achievement" patches are concerned, i still think that might be kinda cool. There are lots of hobbies and sports where those types of patches are used.

For many, geocaching accomplishments are as important to them as your "impressive" bike trophies are to you! <_<

yes, it would be very good if we had very large patches to announce our acheivements that people could stitch on their clothing. that way it will make it much, much easier for me to avoid that sort of person at the party

Patches on clothing scream nerd unless you're in the military or Boy Scouts (and I'm not so sure about Boy Scouts). Still, they're cool to have. I have a number of patches for my bowling accomplishments...300 game, 800 series, league championships, etc... I wouldn't dream of putting them on my clothing like some people do, but I do have them glued to my ball bag. I'd probably do the same thing with geocaching patches. Put them on my pack or geocaching sack, but never, never on my clothing. <_<

Edited by briansnat

oh, brian, i'm so relieved to hear you say that. and here all the time i had been thinking you were so suave, so ...reasonable, and then -wham!- i tried to imagine you festooned with patches screaming your achievements.

as for my bike trophies, they're not all that impressive, but for reasons not fully understood by me, they ARE useful professionally.

...which is much funnier if you know what i do for a living. one little bike trophy does for me what all those courses on middle level classroom management couldn't have hoped to have done. the seventh grade boys may not respect my awesome knowledge of funtional harmony, but by golly a trophy or two buys me just enough time to teach 'em some stuff.

and in response to the accusation that some people might have found it insulting, did you think for a second i'm not aware of it? i'm acerbic and irrascible, not stupid. i just get sick to death of all the yahoos who think for some reason that "17/367 TNLN thanks" makes an interesting log. i am bored to death every time somebody wants to tell me how many caches he's found rather than somthing amusing that happened at a cache, or even what's in his lunchbag.

if i wanted to be sensitive, i'd have done so. i have the technology. i have a little patch right here on my badge sash that says i'm very good with people skills.

Its all ok flask. I understand what you are saying too, i agree with you in thinking quality is better than quantity. It still doesnt make a person a weenie because he displays his achievements (no matter how important or unimportant they are to us). To judge someone on that criteria seems odd to me!

Hey, boy scouts being nerds? As a scout my son has learned archery, shooting and many outdoor skills. About a month ago he went on a 3 day 60 mile canoe trip. You can set him in the woods 20 miles away with a map and a compass and he will show up on your doorstep in abou 3 days. If anyone is a nerd it is those of us who are setting on the computer in the middle of the night arguing about it. :ph34r:

I know of a club for kids called Pathfinders. It is similar to Boy Scouts and the kids earn honors for achievements they have made. These honors are a patch. Currently they are in the trial period of making a geocaching honor for the kids to earn. There will be a advanced honor that they also can earn. These patches(honors) are not worn on clothing. They have a sash on which they are put on and then that is worn at the proper times. Parades and special functions of the club. I know my grandkids are looking forward to earning their honors and so are the adults who help in this worldwide club.

and in response to the accusation that some people might have found it insulting, did you think for a second i'm not aware of it? i'm acerbic and irrascible, not stupid. i just get sick to death of all the yahoos who think for some reason that "17/367 TNLN thanks" makes an interesting log. i am bored to death every time somebody wants to tell me how many caches he's found rather than somthing amusing that happened at a cache, or even what's in his lunchbag.

if i wanted to be sensitive, i'd have done so. i have the technology. i have a little patch right here on my badge sash that says i'm very good with people skills.

Welcome back, flask... missed you...:laughing:

Patches on clothing scream nerd

Sounds perfect for me! The few times in my life that I've not been a nerd, it was simply because I was being a geek instead.

Sometimes, when I'm really in the zone, I can be both. Simultaneously. I rock. For a geek. Nerd. Whatever.

Chicks dig me. I'm sure of it.

As a scout my son has learned archery, shooting and many outdoor skills. About a month ago he went on a 3 day 60 mile canoe trip. You can set him in the woods 20 miles away with a map and a compass and he will show up on your doorstep in abou 3 days. If anyone is a nerd it is those of us who are setting on the computer in the middle of the night arguing about it.

Of course, for a Girl Scout, a 20 mile hike in the woods would only take 2 days. :D My GSs like whitewater kayaking/rafting the best.